Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ARGHH, how the hell do u wire the horn with aftermarket steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ARGHH, how the hell do u wire the horn with aftermarket steering wheel?

hey, i did a search, was a lil help, just got people sayin about hooking it up but not 'how' they did or wtf they did.

im tryin to hook up a damn MOMO steering wheel in a 93 EJ1 (coupe) and i had to disconnect the SRS hub ribbon cable since the momo hub won't fit w/o removing that. And I have called momo several times, and the dude is an idiot. and doesn't have any wiring experience.

i have wiring experience and i am about to freakin hot wire the thing myself but that is beyond pain in the *** going thru the firewall and up to the steering column with little room.

how did u guys with aftermarket steeringwheels wire up your horn? did u guys hot wire it, or what.......please explain in DETAIL.

thanks ;P
Old 05-10-2002, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try this ....

It is fairly easy ....

On the ribbon cable assembly there will ba connection for the horn ... using a spade lug tap into the connector and run a couple feet of wire. Tape the wire to the ribbon cable assembly and make sure you tape the ribbon cable assembly together so the ribbon cable does not spill out . Now carefully move the whole assembly under the dash(out of the way) and tape it to a convinient metal x-brace.

There are three or four mounting "stubs" that the ribbon cable originally screwed into (on the steering column). Get a small peice of plexiglass or lexan, cut a slightly oversized hole to alllow the splined steering "shaft" to pass through,trim the size of the lexan so that the lexan piece just covers the stubs, and mark, and drill holes that line up with the stubs.

Now take the wire that you attached to the horn connection on the ribbon cable assembly, run it up the steering column (keep it loose to that it does not bind ....strip back about 6-8" of the insulation.

Drill some holes , in a circular patttern arround the steering "shaft" into the lexan peice and thread the bare wire in and out of the holes. Drill these additional holes so that the bare wire (that sticks up) will make contact with horn ring contact strip on the bottom of the steering wheel. then screw the lexan plate to the mounting stubs

Mount the steering wheel, Connect the horn buttons wire to the horn-ring connection on the steering wheel.

So when you turn the steering wheel the bare wire that you threaded through the lexan will make contact with circular contact on the bottom of the steering wheel, as you turn the steering wheel it will continue to make contact, so now the horn button will be connected to the horn circuit. The Steering wheel itself will provide the ground to compete the circuit

I hope this makes sense.

[Modified by Moosilla, 6:18 PM 5/10/2002]
Old 05-13-2002, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Try this .... (Moosilla)

ya, thanks for your help man.

On the ribbon cable to the SRS it's the furthest to the Left wire INSIDE the ribbon cable. I took a test light to all of them and got signal from the very left side. I exposed the wire with a lighter and put some slack wire onto it. I then took it up to the steering wheel area and put one screw where the stock SRS reel lays (top right) and hooked up the wire to a paper clip and attached it around the screw and bent up the paper clip to constantly touch the brass frame. thanks ;P