Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Apexi WS 2 exhaust rattle on an EG

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Apexi WS 2 exhaust rattle on an EG

OK, heres the deal. I ordered the Apexi World Sport 2 exhaust for my 92 Civic hatchback si. My stock exhaust was horrible, holes in it and falling apart. Thats the only reason for new exhaust. Anywho, I get the exhasut and put it on tonite. I didnt get anynew gaskets which sucked so I had to go out and get some. Im still using the rubber brackets from the stocker.

The bolts were rusted shut and they were a bitch getting off. I did spray them last week with rust off **** but it didnt do much.I also had to torch the cat bolts to loosen them up. So everything was going smoothly. The studs for the cat are a little short and i could only get 2 threads of the bolt on. No big deal, its holding tightly so far. Then i come to the S pipe. I put it on. ****. Its to big. It doesnt clear the heat sheild. Problem solved, remove the heat sheild. Then i came to another problem. The S pipe is hitting the frame by one of the bends. This is causeing it to rattle. I finish the rest of the exhaust and the only problem is this one part.

I have fliped the S pipe several different ways and it still touches the frame piece. SO for right now i have the exhaust hooked up and rattling. Heres the catch. Everytime i make a right hand turn, the rattle goes away. When i turn left, it gets louder. SO i know the exhaust is moveing. There is no other possible backet that im missing. So i guess my only option is bending this little frame part. Ill do it in the morning.

Has anyone with a si eg had this problem with WS2 or anyother exhaust? I know it sounds so simple but im a little odded that its rubbing. Also, I know i ordered the correct exhaust because the paperwork says 1992-1995 Civic H/B. Also has the D16Z6 engine listed. Heres the kicker. The Vehicle code is EH3. WTF??? i though 92-95 models were eg's. and 96-99 were EK's. What the hell is the EH3? Is that the code that Japan uses???

This sounds like a bunch of n00b questions, well, yeah it is . Any help appreciated. Ill see if i can get pictures up in the morning to explain it.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Apexi WS 2 exhaust rattle on an EG (dohcdelsol)

I have a 94 Coupe with an Apexi World sport on it , and im getting the same rattle , back near the rear right tire , i used new rubber hangars all the way from the resonator back.......i was thinking of using exhaust tape or header wrap to try and deaden the sound in that one spot. I like the exhaust so much i almost dont mind the sound , so i havent had the urge to fix it yet.Id try it and see what happens , im gunna try and do mine next week , ill let u know what happens . good luck
Old 04-08-2004, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Apexi WS 2 exhaust rattle on an EG (EJ1 Coupe)

bump
Old 04-08-2004, 07:46 AM

Alot of WS2 owners are having this problems. I was able to play around with the rubber hangers so at least it only rattles when I'm making left hand turns.

In my situation, the exhaust is hitting the sway bar / endlink bolt. When I turn left, the right suspension is compressing which causes the big freakin bolt on my swaybar to connect. If it's just me in the car, I'm fine.

I didn't have any frame clearance issues.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:48 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has anyone with a si eg had this problem with WS2 or anyother exhaust? I know it sounds so simple but im a little odded that its rubbing. Also, I know i ordered the correct exhaust because the paperwork says 1992-1995 Civic H/B. Also has the D16Z6 engine listed. Heres the kicker. The Vehicle code is EH3. WTF??? i though 92-95 models were eg's. and 96-99 were EK's. What the hell is the EH3? Is that the code that Japan uses.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hatches in the US are EH2 and EH3, Sedans are EG8 and EH9. In Japan, they may have had the hatch as an EG, also. But, most times, people refer to the whole 5th gen as EGs, even though its really EG/EH. I don't have any problems with my exhaust on my sedan...so, I'm not sure how to help you on that. Seems like you had a hell of a time with it, though....it was pretty much unbolt/bolt for me (and cut at the axle cause a rusted bolt).
Old 04-08-2004, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Apexi WS 2 exhaust rattle on an EG (PokeyD16Z)

I have the same problem on my hatch. I took a large box end wrench (like 7/8) and bent the metal hangers that the rubber pieces attach to starting at the cat and going back. It hepled a lot but I still get it sometimes turning left with a passenger. You just have to play around with it to get it lined up.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Apexi WS 2 exhaust rattle on an EG (PokeyD16Z)

Here we go....

I had the same problem and solved it.

Move the exaust fron left to right with your hand (after it has cooled down) and see where it hits, mine was exacly at the first 90 dgreee bend under the car, and at the suspension pickup at the apex of the second 90 degree bend.

Solution. grinding wheel on a drill and take off the 2mm from the car that actualy touches the muffler, there is not harm in this. At the place where the muffler makes the first bend i used a hammer and a grinder.

Problem solved....put underocating on after and enjoy.....honestly this took 10 mins to solve, 1 day to figure out.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Apexi WS 2 exhaust rattle on an EG (B HATCH)

Thanks guys for the imput. I emailed the company and send them some pics and im waiting for a reply. I know exactly where its rubbing. At the first bend )comming from the end of the car) frmo the middle exhaust pipe. Im going to try and bend this littl epiece of the frame first. Its not holding anything nor does it look very important and i dont think it will hurt anything. If i cant do that then ill go with the grinding idea. Thanks guys for the info.