Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anything else needed to replace power steering rack with manual rack?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything else needed to replace power steering rack with manual rack?

I'm thinking of replacing the power rack in my 2000 Civic with a manual rack. Aside from the rack itself, do I need any other parts (bushings, brackets, etc)? Thanks for any help...
Old 10-14-2003, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Anything else needed to replace power steering rack with manual rack? (yobtah)

bump,i also need to know
Old 10-28-2003, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Anything else needed to replace power steering rack with manual rack? (miksew)

bump me too
Old 10-28-2003, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Anything else needed to replace power steering rack with manual rack? (GOLDBERG)

just get hte kit made by Padawan and call it a day. It's awesome
Old 10-28-2003, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anything else needed to replace power steering rack with manual rack? (yobtah)

you are going to need the universal joint from the bottom of a manual steering clumn. aside from that its all you need.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Anything else needed to replace power steering rack with manual rack? (midnightdarknes5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by midnightdarknes5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just get hte kit made by Padawan and call it a day. It's awesome </TD></TR></TABLE>
More info on this so called kit please I am very interested.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Anything else needed to replace power steering rack with manual rack? (b16matt)

I found it nevermind.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:42 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Anything else needed to replace power steering rack with manual rack? (midnightdarknes5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by midnightdarknes5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just get hte kit made by Padawan and call it a day. It's awesome </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the very kind words Brandon. I'm really glad you like the kit.

Edit: After reading over the thread again, I wanted to clarify for others who might read this thead. My kits are <u>not</u> for swapping manual racks in vehicles. What they do include is everything needed to remove the original PS system and properly loop the existing rack, not a new non-PS rack.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

which manual rack were you thinking about installing? If its an oem honda rack like a cx or something and not an aftermarket performance manual rack then don't do it. The manual rack will have less of a turning radius than your power steering rack. Just do what they said and buy one of those kits from padawan to loop the power steering rack and install a breather setup. Or just buy the parts yourself. Then your rack will be much better than the manual because you will have the steering response of a manual with the turning radius of your power steering rack.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anything else needed to replace power steering rack with manual rack? (SOHC_MShue)

Who makes a manual rack i am looking into getting one soon and i would like to know my rack is plugged right now and i want a manual rack. I head that Quialfe makes one am i right?
Old 10-28-2003, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Anything else needed to replace power steering rack with manual rack? (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks for the very kind words Brandon. I'm really glad you like the kit.

Edit: After reading over the thread again, I wanted to clarify for others who might read this thead. My kits are <u>not</u> for swapping manual racks in vehicles. What they do include is everything needed to remove the original PS system and properly loop the existing rack, not a new non-PS rack. </TD></TR></TABLE>

not just kind words come from me upon your kit, also a sign of relief of how easy your kit makes removing powersteering along with the great ground feel when it's gone. also it still allows the original power steering rack that started in my car to remain there with a few minor modifications to make the removal possible. from me for Padawans kit.

but if any of you have questions regarding Padawan's kit, I would suggest you jsut do a search with his user name Padawan being there's a few forums with the kit information or give him an pm. he's really cool to talk to and deal with. very smart guy we got here. well good luck all.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Anything else needed to replace power steering rack with manual rack? (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which manual rack were you thinking about installing? If its an oem honda rack like a cx or something and not an aftermarket performance manual rack then don't do it. The manual rack will have less of a turning radius than your power steering rack. Just do what they said and buy one of those kits from padawan to loop the power steering rack and install a breather setup. Or just buy the parts yourself. Then your rack will be much better than the manual because you will have the steering response of a manual with the turning radius of your power steering rack. </TD></TR></TABLE>
yes but still have the weight of the power steering
Old 11-11-2003, 01:22 PM

I trid this on my car, and what a waste of time it was. Effort was so increased at auto-x, it wasn't event FUNNY. If you are going in straight lines, take it out, if you are making quick transisions ( who knows when you'll need to swerve out of the way of something in the road), keep the PS rack or get a real manual rack.