Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone help out with info, car idles funny and idle rises if break is pressed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone help out with info, car idles funny and idle rises if break is pressed.

What up h-t,
i got a 95 honda civic ex with a b16a swap. My problem is my brake pedal goes to the floor when stopping, i have bled the brakes n put all new fluid n still didint fix anything so im planning on replacing the master cylinder for the brakes. My other problem is my car wont hold a steady idle at times when i come to a stop but its only sometimes not all the time, can the master cylinder being bad cause that? because when i press the brake pedal my idle goes up. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
(spelled brake wrong on title, my bad.)
Old 05-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone help out with info, car idles funny and idle rises if break is pressed.

1. Change master cylinder

2. Check all vacuum lines

3. Enjoy your vehicle!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone help out with info, car idles funny and idle rises if break is pressed.

Originally Posted by RussLaviolette
1. Change master cylinder

2. Check all vacuum lines

3. Enjoy your vehicle!

thanks i was planning to do all that, but is that whats causing my car to not have a steady idle at times?
thanks.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for some more info.
also cleaned my idle control valve so pls more info would help.
thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bad brake booster leaking air into intake manifold?
Old 05-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by strategy400
Bad brake booster leaking air into intake manifold?
Yeah might be, i guess i might be replacing that too. after a new master cylinder n brake booster i should be set problem free?
Old 05-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jceron64
Yeah might be, i guess i might be replacing that too. after a new master cylinder n brake booster i should be set problem free?
Not necessarily. That's why I mentioned your vacuum lines. The brake booster is part of the vacuum system and therefore that's why you see a change in idle when applying the brakes. Cleaning the IACV was a good call, but replace the items previously mentioned and check all your vacuum lines for leaks. Correct me if I'm wrong, gentleman.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RussLaviolette
Not necessarily. That's why I mentioned your vacuum lines. The brake booster is part of the vacuum system and therefore that's why you see a change in idle when applying the brakes. Cleaning the IACV was a good call, but replace the items previously mentioned and check all your vacuum lines for leaks. Correct me if I'm wrong, gentleman.

alright cool, i should be replacing those parts tomorrow or monday. hopefully that fixes my problem if not im back to square one with my idle but i will keep u guys posted with what happens if not so i can get some more info on what to do.
Thanks