Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone have experience with R1 seats????

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with R1 seats????

I was thinking about getting some R1 type R seats and have a shop take the R1 logo off and put on a Recaro logo like the JDM ones. Yes i'm cheap, i'd rather pay 500bux for these and fake the funk then pay 2k.

I wanted to know if anyone has R1 seats and how is the build quality and how do they hold up. I know the Tenzos fade after a few months.

[Modified by VSM EXtasy, 2:25 PM 2/4/2003]

[Modified by VSM EXtasy, 2:26 PM 2/4/2003]
Old 02-04-2003, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Anyone have experience with R1 seats???? (VSM EXtasy)

Go for it, but don't take off the R1 logo and put on a Recaro logo...because its not a Recaro seat...

Its not a Recaro seat and it never will be. That idea of swapping logos is one of the tackiest ricy ideas I have ever heard.

-Jake
Old 02-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have experience with R1 seats???? (Chiller514)

my freind got them in his 240 like 2 weeks ago. seem to be good quality even though they r an off brand. they are very comfortable but are on the heavy side. but for the price i give it a
Old 02-04-2003, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have experience with R1 seats???? (c1civic)

i heard the DAD racing seats are supposed to be a bit better, and for the same price, if not cheaper. ebay has em for like 300 a set or something
Old 02-04-2003, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Anyone have experience with R1 seats???? (ColdAccord)

I'm sporting some fake spoons, fake mugen lip, fake CTR side markers, and fake JDM mirrors and oh yeh fake CTR shiftknob. Not many can tell the difference and having the real thing doen't make my car faster. But i do have everything real at where it counts, like greddy turbo, Blitz boost controller, greddy exhaust, Greddy vspec intercooler, hondata, RC engineering injectors.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:42 AM

good luck when you get into an accident and your rails collapse because they are not FIA approved and have not been properly crash tested... i'm sorry but i will never risk my life in a tenzo/OBX/brand X racing seat with some cheaply designed rail... my life is worth more than that.

either buy something that has been tested and approved, or stay with stock. it just aint worth it. these arent like light bulbs... your life is at stake.

Old 02-04-2003, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Anyone have experience with R1 seats???? (ajchen)

you have a good point about the accedent thing. But i really doubt the seats will fly off, I've seen the tenzo seats and they use a strong metal frame just like stocks. I dont think i've seen anyone complain about the seats flying off during accedents, besides you have seatbelts to hold you in.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The seatbelt is attached to the seat rails on the inner side. so if the seat breaks loose you are screwed.

On another note. One of my seat mounting points completely ripped out. I need to fix that thing before I get my car back on the road.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:36 AM

like i said, all it takes is one time when you're in the car... and when metal breaks off and goes up your butt, or the rail bends and you're goin thru the windshield... thats when its no longer worthwhile.

sure, we face risks all the time when we're driving... and anything can break under the proper stress... but its good to be as safe as possible. saving a few hundred bucks to put my life in further danger, to me, just isnt worth it. i say go stock, or do it right if you can afford it

you have a good point about the accedent thing. But i really doubt the seats will fly off, I've seen the tenzo seats and they use a strong metal frame just like stocks. I dont think i've seen anyone complain about the seats flying off during accedents, besides you have seatbelts to hold you in.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why don't you buy a hyundai and put logos on it? no one would ever know!! bsjdm is mad tite, y0! so you buy parts to lie to your friends? that's so cool! aren't you embarrassed to be asking such a rediculous question? did you consider the cost to have custom embroidery done? that is not cheap, especially trying to ebroider a seat cover. you'll have to totally disassemble the seat. by the time you go through the pains and costs of it, you could've bought a much better seat and been done with it. if you want new seats, then save for some quality ones. as ajchen said, these really are safety components. if that is not a concern for you, why don't you get some harnesses and no roll bar while you're at it!! safety first!! there are a lot of quality seats that are affordable and reputable. take a look at some of the non-reclineable momo's or sparco's, or even corbeau or the dad seats someone mentioned. remember, you get what you pay for. buy cheap, buy twice.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Anyone have experience with R1 seats???? (isotopesope)

I've spent tons of money on my car where it counts. I can really care less about brand name long as it looks good and its quality. People who pay tons of money jsut because its JDM are morons in my opinion. That JDM clock blocker is 50bux WOOhOOO, spoon brake fluid socks!!!, air bag blocker!!! JDM oil cap. Seriouly, you dont know my car, all suspension/performance parts are the quality stuff.

heres a link to my turd.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=394243

guess how much money i've poured in to it?
Old 02-04-2003, 08:31 AM

VSM, the quality that you've put into your car "where it counts" is exactly what people are talking about. A seat is not the same thing as a shift know or front lip. Would you buy cheap seatbelts just because they don't matter? I'm hoping the answer is "NO!". Your car has safety features that shouldn't be messed with. You don't put small cheap *** rotors on your car, you don't buy shitty retreaded tires, you don't pull seatbelts out of a wrecked car to put in yours, and finally, you shouldn't put low quality seats in. Some people may buy the recaros because they're jdm, yo! but that doesn't mean that there's not a difference. If you want a cheaper seat, look at Corbeau, Sparco, or Momo. They all have lower priced seats that are good quality AND TESTED! It's great that you've seen the frame of some seats but can you really tell the difference in materials used when that frame is painted? Can you tell the thickness? Can you tell what quality the welds are? Just because a seat looks like it's well made doesn't mean it is. Hell, there's mufflers that I can get for $10 and they look good but I don't quite think they're the same quality as other brands. Oh, and as for the Tenzos, I have a customer who's saving his money right now to buy some Corbeaus because his Tenzos are falling apart (literally) after having them for 6 months. I really don't consider that to be high quality. I'd rather have an alluminum (no-frame) Kirkey.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:36 AM

dude, sand off your d16 engine block stamping and restamp it b18c5
that will really impress your friends
Old 02-04-2003, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Anyone have experience with R1 seats???? (b20bastard)

your a jackass.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Anyone have experience with R1 seats???? (b20bastard)

dude, sand off your d16 engine block stamping and restamp it b18c5
that will really impress your friends
LMAO!!! I would never sacrfice(sp?) my own personal safety in the name of saving a few bucks.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

then if you've spent your money where it counts it should be no question as to whether or not to buy cheap seats. you should know to buy quality seats from a reputable company: sparco, momo, corbeau. if you want the jdm recaro look, but don't want to spend 1800 a seat, check out these recaros:
http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...em=10&back=yes

or

http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...em=10&back=yes

[Modified by isotopesope, 11:42 AM 2/4/2003]
Old 02-04-2003, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i can sell you the recaros if you want them!
Old 02-04-2003, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've sat in the R1 Type R style seat. It's pretty comfortable. My friends got one in his EK hatch. It's nice. Feels good.

I'm more of a fan of a racing bucket, hence why I'm buying a Sparco Evo.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Anyone have experience with R1 seats???? (ajchen)

good luck when you get into an accident and your rails collapse because they are not FIA approved and have not been properly crash tested... i'm sorry but i will never risk my life in a tenzo/OBX/brand X racing seat with some cheaply designed rail... my life is worth more than that.

either buy something that has been tested and approved, or stay with stock. it just aint worth it. these arent like light bulbs... your life is at stake.

recaro sp-g all the way, FIA approved and if you watch the WRC you will see it on most of the cars, the **** is hardcore but still really comfortable.