Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone have experience with eBay rebuild kits?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Anyone have experience with eBay rebuild kits?

I just picked up a 97 Civic LX as a daily driver after a 3 year break from Hondas. I miss the reliability and fuel economy, and my RHD Subaru is pretty much track dedicated anymore, now that there are NO luxuries left.

Anyways, the Civic I bought, has the stock D16y7 in it, I have no plans on modifying this car, other than maybe a decent stereo, and some wheels. The car is smoking (I got the seller to drop the price a lot for this) and I'm looking into getting a rebuild kit off eBay. Pistons, rings, bearings, and all new gaskets. I also plan on replacing the water pump and all the belts while i'm at it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the eBay rebuild kits. Like I said, I have no intentions on modifying the performance aspect of this car, I just want it to run like a top and be reliable as possible.

I am in the Army, stationed about 2,000 miles away from home, so I like to drive home a few times a year and visit my family and friends, I don't really want to risk buying another 10-15 year old engine that may be just as close to death as this one, when I could pull this engine and rebuild it in a weekend. I'm just hoping to get some feedback on the quality.

Thanks in advance Honda-Tech, I look forward to getting back into the community, I miss Honda-Tech.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone have experience with eBay rebuild kits?

pistons rarely go bad
smoking is probably caused by valve seals or rings

just grab a set of rings valve seals get the head checked and buy all oem stuff
its not that expensive
Old 10-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rings and valve seals are being replaced, I just figured for the price, while the engine is torn apart I may as well replace the pistons as well, once less thing I have to worry about.

I planned on replacing the rings, bearings, pistons, all the gaskets, water pump, oil pump, timing belt, tensioner, and all the accy belts.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you buy any ebay rebuild kit look for japanese parts not cheap chinese parts. quality does matter. use name brand gaskets. if you plan on having a bullet proof engine do things right the first time and you will be a happy camper. imagine blowing your engine during a cruise on a visit to said location: / i also suggest replacing the y7 for a y8 head while you're rebuilding it so you can pick up some extra horsepower. this wont sacrifice your mpg really, you spend a small amount, PLUS you have the neck snapping vtec. it is a mod but i'd think of it as extra hp to help haul the slightly heavier LX while adding a little fun factor. I'm also a returning Honda owner/honda-tech thugnasty yo. shop wisely, good luck!

Last edited by ekhatchologist; 10-07-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekhatchologist
if you buy any ebay rebuild kit look for japanese parts not cheap chinese parts. quality does matter. use name brand gaskets. if you plan on having a bullet proof engine do things right the first time and you will be a happy camper. imagine blowing your engine on cruising for a visit. i also suggest replacing the y7 for a y8 head while you're rebuilding it so you can pick up some extra horsepower. this wont sacrifice your mpg really, you dont spend much money PLUS you have the neck snapping vtec. and im also a returning Honda owner/honda-tech thugnasty. shop wisely, good luck!
Thanks for the input, and welcome back. I'm going so far in depth with this rebuild for exactly that reason, I don't want to break down half way across the country, and I know my luck, thats exactly when it would happen, not when I was closed to home. I may do a mini-me swap eventually, but i'm not too concerned about how fast the car is for now, I have a 300awhp Subaru for when I want to go fast, lol.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol at y8 and y7 hp difference

who would waste their time and money to do that. i mean get real 130hp even to the wheels is like nothing
neck snapping vtec wow get real dude
Old 10-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by v8killaz
lol at y8 and y7 hp difference

who would waste their time and money to do that. i mean get real 130hp even to the wheels is like nothing
neck snapping vtec wow get real dude
I believe that comment was sarcasm bro.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just go oem and you'll sleep easier.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Sol to Sol

Thanks for your service!

Have you thought of getting a JDM engine? They have low miles, and come as a full longblock, so you would have extra parts.

I'm torn myself between rebuilding or replacing my 300k mile D16Z6, so I'm looking for opinions.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member