Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone have any info on swapping Quarter Panel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any info on swapping Quarter Panel?

My '94 Civic was hit in the side, and I was wondering if anyone had links to anything that would walk me through the process, or know the process themselves. Thanks
Old 12-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have any info on swapping Quarter Panel? (NewToAllThis)

cut and weld
Old 12-29-2005, 05:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NewToAllThis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My '94 Civic was hit in the side, and I was wondering if anyone had links to anything that would walk me through the process, or know the process themselves. Thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>
Do you mean the front fender or the rear? The front you can just unbolt and replace. The rear will need to be cut and welded.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Anyone have any info on swapping Quarter Panel? (transpar_nt)

Title: Anyone have any info on swapping Quarter Panel?

i believe a QUARTER PANEL would be in the rear...CUT AND WELD...
Old 12-29-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Anyone have any info on swapping Quarter Panel? (Travis2000si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Travis2000si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Title: Anyone have any info on swapping Quarter Panel?

i believe a QUARTER PANEL would be in the rear...CUT AND WELD...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Actually most people I've talked to also call the front fenders quarter panels. Technically, I think they are.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Mr. Fuch-yu

Default Re: Anyone have any info on swapping Quarter Panel? (Travis2000si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Travis2000si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Title: Anyone have any info on swapping Quarter Panel?

i believe a QUARTER PANEL would be in the rear...CUT AND WELD...</TD></TR></TABLE>7 posts and he's mouthing off. E-THUG

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by transpar_nt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Actually most people I've talked to also call the front fenders quarter panels. Technically, I think they are.</TD></TR></TABLE>You are correct Sir.

-Red
Old 12-29-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Anyone have any info on swapping Quarter Panel? (-Red-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -Red- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are correct Sir.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thankyou. His E-arrogance was E-pissing me off.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

take it to a body shop unless you are skilled in collision and repair. i helped replace a quarter panel on my classic stang, and there is no way i could have got it to come out that clean. requires a good bit of work, especially with a reproduction fender, which sometimes needs some modifying to fit properly.

good luck
Old 12-30-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: (94hatchling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94hatchling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take it to a body shop unless you are skilled in collision and repair. i helped replace a quarter panel on my classic stang, and there is no way i could have got it to come out that clean. requires a good bit of work, especially with a reproduction fender, which sometimes needs some modifying to fit properly.

good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. Their is alot of work involved in that. Leave it to the skilled professionals at a bodyshop.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:51 PM

I put a replacement panel on my left rear quarter panel, it was a hell of alot of work. This was my first time doing any serious welding, and I learned quite a bit along the way. I dont know quite how much you have to replace, but i replaced just the wheel well section. (getting rid of rust) It would be a similar process, i think. Dont know if this is the best way, but here is how I did it:

1. Remove rear bumper, tail light, hatch or trunk, and side skirt.

2. Cut out the section you are replacing, leaving a lip to weld onto.

3. Line panel up and Spot weld the new panel in place

4. Clean up the welds, smoothen edges as much as possible. Begin smoothening the edge with Bondo. I used the premium Bondo, which supposedly sticks to primer and paint, also.

5. After you get everything perfect, mask off wheel, windows, everything you dont want primer on, then begin primering the exposed surfaces.

(I did finish Bondoing this BTW )
6. Paint it

that was as far as I got. Took about 5 days working 4-5 hours each. I think it would be easier in a garage, though
Its going to take quite a while to do by yourself. If you dont have alot of free time, I would take it to a shop. If you have the time, I would do it yourself and learn a thing or two

Hope that helps
Old 12-30-2005, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have any info on swapping Quarter Panel? (agp1183)

^^^ nice info.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have any info on swapping Quarter Panel? (fast88std)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agp1183 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I put a replacement panel on my left rear quarter panel, it was a hell of alot of work. This was my first time doing any serious welding, and I learned quite a bit along the way. I dont know quite how much you have to replace, but i replaced just the wheel well section. (getting rid of rust) It would be a similar process, i think. Dont know if this is the best way, but here is how I did it:

1. Remove rear bumper, tail light, hatch or trunk, and side skirt.

2. Cut out the section you are replacing, leaving a lip to weld onto.

3. Line panel up and Spot weld the new panel in place

4. Clean up the welds, smoothen edges as much as possible. Begin smoothening the edge with Bondo. I used the premium Bondo, which supposedly sticks to primer and paint, also.

5. After you get everything perfect, mask off wheel, windows, everything you dont want primer on, then begin primering the exposed surfaces.

(I did finish Bondoing this BTW )
6. Paint it

that was as far as I got. Took about 5 days working 4-5 hours each. I think it would be easier in a garage, though
Its going to take quite a while to do by yourself. If you dont have alot of free time, I would take it to a shop. If you have the time, I would do it yourself and learn a thing or two

Hope that helps </TD></TR></TABLE>wrong this isn't the right way or even close.....and u can not....LET ME REPEAT...u can not put bondo over paint or primer..IT WILL NOT STICK.it will lift and fall off or crack....all u did was expletive that quarter panel up so the next guy that has to fix it has to do twice the work...GOOD JOB...if u dont know the correct way to do something u should ask someone that has more hands on the the kid u set next to in highschool
Old 01-01-2006, 03:02 AM

Default Re: Anyone have any info on swapping Quarter Panel? (Bigblockhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bigblockhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wrong this isn't the right way or even close.....and u can not....LET ME REPEAT...u can not put bondo over paint or primer..IT WILL NOT STICK.it will lift and fall off or crack....all u did was expletive that quarter panel up so the next guy that has to fix it has to do twice the work...GOOD JOB...if u dont know the correct way to do something u should ask someone that has more hands on the the kid u set next to in highschool</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually... IT DID STICK. it specifically says on the can that it will stick to primer and paint. The reason I applied the primer first was because it was a rust inhibiting primer, therefore rust will have a harder time forming between the metal and bondo, which should prevent it from doing what you described. I'm in college, bitch. No one else works on my car but me. There will be no "next guy". I'm keeping this car til the end. Provide some useful info, dipshit. Thanks for the "good job", I'd like to see you replace a quarter panel in the middle of winter outside.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Anyone have any info on swapping Quarter Panel? (agp1183)

what brand bondo did u use? I welded an actual one on when I fixed this on my buddies crx.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:17 AM

looks like the inner fender was rusted too, did u repair that as well?
or did u just weld the piece over it?
Old 01-01-2006, 09:14 AM

Default Re: (Average Al)

I recently took my car to a body shop to have the rear quarter panel damage looked at they told me and its to much to explain but take it to a body shop.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:19 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (JDMTRSPORTS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bigblockhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wrong this isn't the right way or even close.....and u can not....LET ME REPEAT...u can not put bondo over paint or primer..IT WILL NOT STICK.it will lift and fall off or crack....all u did was expletive that quarter panel up so the next guy that has to fix it has to do twice the work...GOOD JOB...if u dont know the correct way to do something u should ask someone that has more hands on the the kid u set next to in highschool</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agp1183 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
actually... IT DID STICK. it specifically says on the can that it will stick to primer and paint. The reason I applied the primer first was because it was a rust inhibiting primer, therefore rust will have a harder time forming between the metal and bondo, which should prevent it from doing what you described. I'm in college, bitch. No one else works on my car but me. There will be no "next guy". I'm keeping this car til the end. Provide some useful info, dipshit. Thanks for the "good job", I'd like to see you replace a quarter panel in the middle of winter outside. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You got E-0wned there buddy. Until you can get some legitament facts on why what he did was wrong, Or care to explain the correct method or can get someone who can, Stop mouthing off. Plus if it doesnt stick... he can let the manufactuarer know about the problem. Cause like he said, it says that it will.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Anyone have any info on swapping Quarter Panel? (wushubrian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wushubrian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what brand bondo did u use? I welded an actual one on when I fixed this on my buddies crx. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I used Bondo Ultimate, comes in a black can.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Average Al &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks like the inner fender was rusted too, did u repair that as well?
or did u just weld the piece over it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I cleaned it up before I welded over it, and I primered the inside and outside of it. I may replace it this summer.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your supposed to use fiberglass over the welds then bondo cause fiberglass is water proof. and if you have access to the back of the panel (inner is rusted too) then you should seam seal the back of the weld. and even though it says you can put the bondo over primer i wouldnt because it might not stick and when your sanding your supposed to feather back the paint/primer anyways.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Civic4less)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civic4less &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You got E-0wned there buddy. Until you can get some legitament facts on why what he did was wrong, Or care to explain the correct method or can get someone who can, Stop mouthing off. Plus if it doesnt stick... he can let the manufactuarer know about the problem. Cause like he said, it says that it will. </TD></TR></TABLE>it isnt fixed right...it will never be right doing it that way..PERIOD....i've been doing this longer than most of u all have been driven....i promise u that after that thing is painted or just primered that u will be able to find were the work was done because of soakback or lifting of the filler.....it wont last a year without showing that it was repaired.....sry that u have to work outside sucks been there done that.....and as was stated earlier u need to use kittyhair over welds because its water proof and will fill in the pinholes in the welds...but since u didnt even grind them down to try and make the panel level or just a hair low...u will have a lot of work ahead of u....GOOD LUCK
Old 01-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bigblockhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bigblockhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it isnt fixed right...it will never be right doing it that way..PERIOD....i've been doing this longer than most of u all have been driven....i promise u that after that thing is painted or just primered that u will be able to find were the work was done because of soakback or lifting of the filler.....it wont last a year without showing that it was repaired.....sry that u have to work outside sucks been there done that.....and as was stated earlier u need to use kittyhair over welds because its water proof and will fill in the pinholes in the welds...but since u didnt even grind them down to try and make the panel level or just a hair low...u will have a lot of work ahead of u....GOOD LUCK</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should learn to spell and use punctuation before you tell other people what to do. You'd never work on my car.
Period.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1995Ex_Sedan)

oh so sorry i got carried away and didn't use spell check.....sorry for thinking quicker than my fingers could type,spell and use proper punctuation for you...im so sure if u check the spelling of every person on H-T u would find that about 97% either have missed spelled words or no punctuation at all.....this isnt a spelling lesson it's a bondo lesson.....
Old 01-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bigblockhatch)

The surface was not properly prepared or was made of a material the filler could not bond to. The surface should be previously sanded with 80 grit sandpaper, then wiped clean with acetone. Some fillers may not bond well on some surfaces such as galvanized steel, aluminum, SMC and other plastics. Premium Fillers, Specialty Fillers or Resins must be used on those surfaces. Do not apply over fresh primer.

this is from evercoat.com ***'s page on bodyfiller