Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone experienced with fixing key scratch with touch up paint?(Midori color)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone experienced with fixing key scratch with touch up paint?(Midori color)

Hi,
so I recently found out someone keyed my midori Honda hatchback and wrote words on the doors -__- the scratches didn't hit the primer (I believe not) but deep enough to feel it when I rub my finger through the scratch. I thought about fixing it with a touch up paint pen/brush but wasn't sure if the paint will end up matching.
I understand it might hard to find midori touch up paint since it was only made in one year. I have to yet to contact Honda dealership but I heard about "paintscratch.com". So now I'm debating on which one I should go to for touch up paint.
Any ideas guys?

I also thought about wet sanding the scratches out with 2000 grit and then apply polish compound but I have close to 0 experiences with sanding for cars so I rather not ruin the paint even more.

Last edited by Pwnmeister; 07-25-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone experienced with fixing key scratch with touch up paint?(Midori color)

I used Duplicolor scratch fix (the thing that looks like a pen with a brush and a pen on either side) on my girl's metallic grey Saturn Ion. I don't know why, but it didn't match up EXACTLY the way it promises to. However, the sun could fade the paint from the original. We park in a car port, but when the sun is setting, the trunk gets full exposure. The scratch happened to be on the trunk. I was a little disappointed, but it was a lot better than seeing a white scratch on the car. Touch it up a little bit and see how you like it. And for what it's worth, I touched up a small nick and it matched almost perfectly. The size of the scratch makes a difference to the eye.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Anyone experienced with fixing key scratch with touch up paint?(Midori color)

I would try Megiuar's Scratch X first see if you can try to buff them out, if not try a detail shop with a buffer they might be able to do something, go to 2000 as a last resort, if you go that route you will still need the buffing steps.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:16 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've never seen touch up paint actually match the way it's supposed to.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think buffing will really work since I could feel the scratches with my finger.
Any opinions on using touch up paint?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone?
Old 07-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you see white? Sometimes a body shop can wet sand them out and buff it, I would get a quote.

The problem with touch up paint is it never looks right no matter how careful you are, for chips it is ok not great, with scratches they are tough.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

touch up paint will NEVER perfectly match up.... I used to work for a dealer with an inhouse body shop...and the reason they will never match up
is because-----

The factory--matches the paint to what they put on at the factory. Your car has been out in the sun, and aged 10 years now (if you have an EK) and your getting a sample of the 10 year old paint that WAS on your car.....it isnt anymore. Its some variation of that paint, normally lighter.

So...no matter how light, or delicate you put that touch up paint on....you most likely will be getting a slightly darker color when your finished....

You can stick some paint in there....however, dont be expecting miracles. Buffing would lessen them to an extent- however, take to a pro shop...since theres always a chance of burn through of the paint...
Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motegicivic
Can you see white? Sometimes a body shop can wet sand them out and buff it, I would get a quote.

The problem with touch up paint is it never looks right no matter how careful you are, for chips it is ok not great, with scratches they are tough.
Yes, the words are like white lines. Not even sure if that hit primer. I was thinking maybe using some compound after touch up paint

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
touch up paint will NEVER perfectly match up.... I used to work for a dealer with an inhouse body shop...and the reason they will never match up
is because-----

The factory--matches the paint to what they put on at the factory. Your car has been out in the sun, and aged 10 years now (if you have an EK) and your getting a sample of the 10 year old paint that WAS on your car.....it isnt anymore. Its some variation of that paint, normally lighter.

So...no matter how light, or delicate you put that touch up paint on....you most likely will be getting a slightly darker color when your finished....

You can stick some paint in there....however, dont be expecting miracles. Buffing would lessen them to an extent- however, take to a pro shop...since theres always a chance of burn through of the paint...
thanks, maybe I'll see how much a shop will charge me. I was also thinking maybe have a shop help me mix the paint color and make it lighter than the factory paint so it kinda matches.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

your best bet would probably be going to paint store...where they have the cameras that are calibrated to take pics and reproduce a color...

then just get a small can made up (of auto paint)

remember...paint is always better then no paint...since if it did hit primer...no paint areas = rust