Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone experience this with their SOHC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone experience this with their SOHC?

My gf's 98 Ex seems to be an ongoing drama. Most recent is our fog issue with the damn Denji Angel Eye/Projectors (I don't wanna talk bout it unless you know how to get the moisture out cuz I've tried just bout everything)Anyways, It seems that the engine bay gets incredibly hot for a SOHC engine. Even my 92 Teg LS and my 94 bimmer never seem to make this much heat. I can't tell what it is or if it's abnormal or not. Right now, the car is running NGK's, Bosch wires, custom intake and just yesterday it was changed with Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w30 and a K&n oil filter. The temp gauge in the cluster is always below the mid-point indicating that there is nothing wrong (then again I wouldn't be surprised is the gauge is wrong) I just don't know. Can anyone help out with ideas or experiences that prove that this is normal and I'm just super paranoid because of all the problems we've had with this car?!Thanks.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone experience this with their SOHC? (Knightmare69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Knightmare69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I'm just super paranoid because of all the problems we've had with this car?!Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-01-2003, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, I'm thinking about gettin her a vented hood but I'm worried bout placement of the vents regarding where the water would flow to. Can anyone make any recommendations?
Old 11-01-2003, 01:37 PM

Default Re: (Knightmare69)

as my father would say, shut the f*** up and drive the damn car
Old 11-01-2003, 01:56 PM

Default Re: (s o h c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by s o h c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as my father would say, shut the f*** up and drive the damn car
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha.

My 97 EX gets pretty warm under the hood. It seems to be normal. How many miles are on the car? That synthetic that she just added could do more harm than good. When synthetic is introduced to a higher-mileage motor, it tends to find leaks easier.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:03 PM

Default Re: (Rydaddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rydaddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
When synthetic is introduced to a higher-mileage motor, it tends to find leaks easier.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this a fact, or just hearsay. I'm not flaming just don't want incorrect information. So where did you get this info?
Old 11-01-2003, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rydaddy)

did you check all your fluids for the heating problem?? for then angel eyes get a heat gun to get all the moisture out of their then seal them off.. i bought regular projectors and the heat from my lights sealed it shut
Old 11-01-2003, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quote, originally posted by s o h c »

"as my father would say, shut the f*** up and drive the damn car"

Yes daddy, please don't hit me AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The car only has like 75k on it.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Knightmare69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, I'm thinking about gettin her a vented hood but I'm worried bout placement of the vents regarding where the water would flow to. Can anyone make any recommendations? </TD></TR></TABLE>

you can get a hood scoop of the old skool 240's (i dont know what gen.) one of my boys put it right over where the factory airbox goes on a slight angle in .........mold that bitch in and spray the hood flat black oh and never had a problem with water
Old 11-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eibach95Civic)

"did you check all your fluids for the heating problem?? for then angel eyes get a heat gun to get all the moisture out of their then seal them off.. i bought regular projectors and the heat from my lights sealed it shut"

I plan on changing the fluids for "winterization" As far as the headlights go, There doesn't seem to be any opening for the moisture to escape. The Projetors are built in and thesignal part is sealed.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no hole for the mositure to escape?? what it will evaporate, and also how do you think the moisture got in their
Old 11-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGinNY)

"you can get a hood scoop of the old skool 240's (i dont know what gen.) one of my boys put it right over where the factory airbox goes on a slight angle in never had a problem with water"

I personally wouldn't mind that but she is a bit more difficult to work with and I doubt that she would want just a vent on one side of the hood. I think my gf is more show than go, she leaves that up to me but I usually have to run the ideas by her.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eibach95Civic)

" how do you think the moisture got in their"

There are hoses on the back of the headlight that let air out of the headlight. I noticed that the driver-side top one was missing when I pulled the lights. Something seems to be wrong with the body as there is a significant gap on the driver-side light when compared to the passenger side, that's how the water got in there. She drove up to MA over the past weekend while it poured so I'm guessin all the water just flowed in. I've since then sealed the top portion of the headlights with a layer of silicone and added some weather stripping between the hood and headlights, and tried to readjust the position so that the top of the headlight was not gapped that much anymore. The main problem right now is how to get rid of all that moisture already in there.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Knightmare69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I personally wouldn't mind that but she is a bit more difficult to work with and I doubt that she would want just a vent on one side of the hood. I think my gf is more show than go, she leaves that up to me but I usually have to run the ideas by her. </TD></TR></TABLE>

looks mean as hell on a lowered car
Old 11-01-2003, 02:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Knightmare69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The main problem right now is how to get rid of all that moisture already in there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

air noozle/nozzle on a compressor