Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone ever modified stock Del Sol roof panel for tinted panel??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone ever modified stock Del Sol roof panel for tinted panel??

Just curious if anyone has every attempted to modify a stock Del Sol roof panel to have a clear glass (plastic like lexan or Percy's speedglass) installed between the 2 little rail pieces?? I'm kicking around cutting up an extra roof panel I have and see if a guy can vacuum form some tinted lex to the roof before I do so. If so, I'd think all that would need to be done is pull the headliner part out but leave the plastic trim all around, cut the metal in that area, fuse the piece to the roof panel, and that should be about it. I'd cut the factory headliner piece down so it would still clip into place.

Suggestions, comments, etc? I don't think integrity would matter since A, the car is already braced for the roof panel to be out and B, the lex piece would be stronger than the sheet metal or at least as strong.

Ryan
Old 07-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone ever modified stock Del Sol roof panel for tinted panel?? (RyanA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just curious if anyone has every attempted to modify a stock Del Sol roof panel to have a clear glass (plastic like lexan or Percy's speedglass) installed between the 2 little rail pieces?? I'm kicking around cutting up an extra roof panel I have and see if a guy can vacuum form some tinted lex to the roof before I do so. If so, I'd think all that would need to be done is pull the headliner part out but leave the plastic trim all around, cut the metal in that area, fuse the piece to the roof panel, and that should be about it. I'd cut the factory headliner piece down so it would still clip into place.

Suggestions, comments, etc? I don't think integrity would matter since A, the car is already braced for the roof panel to be out and B, the lex piece would be stronger than the sheet metal or at least as strong.

Ryan</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is possible, and something I had considered, although I think it might just be cheaper to get an Ameripol top.

Sol Society had a group buy on these a while back...
http://www.solsociety.com/foru...10656

If you don't like that idea, cutting up your roof might work as well... I've seen a sunroof added to a Porsche 914, another targa top.... You might consider that route...
Old 07-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone ever modified stock Del Sol roof panel for tinted panel?? (qat727)

a lil pricey but looks real good
Old 07-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I'll try to do the same thing myself. Only thing that would really be different is mine will still have the headliner piece to put back so you could keep the heat out on sunny days.... I'll post progress as I get it done since I have another extra top I can do it on. I'm pretty sure I know a place that can vacuum form the tinted part to conform to the roof perfectly.