Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

anyone ever call CHP about vin numbers????

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever call CHP about vin numbers????

like the topic says anyone ever call CHP to ask about VIN or block numbers??? im preparing to put in another block and it seems entirely legit with paper work and all, but i still want to hear it from the CHP's mouth, that its okay know what i mean. People in Cali should know exactly what i mean. Actually this is no laughing matter if i am to REF this motor and recieve a glorious BAR sticker. So i call them and tell them my the VIN number and they told me, "the CHP has no interest regarding that VIN at this time." Sounds good to me, no? Tell me yours stories is this a good sign from the CHP?
Old 06-06-2004, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: anyone ever call CHP about vin numbers???? (xhatchracerx)

i believe you ask the DMV, or get a CARFAX report.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone ever call CHP about vin numbers???? (jL iLLuZiOnz 9)

is there any free carfax rite now
Old 06-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: anyone ever call CHP about vin numbers???? (92da-er)

look around H-T. there's always people giving away free reports.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: anyone ever call CHP about vin numbers???? (jL iLLuZiOnz 9)

CHP wont give 2 **** about it. If you want to check it get a carfax. The only time that CHP cares is when there pulling you over.... sucks huh?

Also try the dmv if you have the vin from the car it was taken, or maybe even the vin on the block might work.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone ever call CHP about vin numbers???? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also try the dmv if you have the vin from the car it was taken, or maybe even the vin on the block might work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was always curious if they can tell anything from the block code.. Is it somehow linked to the car's vin number in the police database??

That would be a lot of information to store for the police department.. Im talking about pre 96 motors that didn't come with a vin plate on them..

Thanks for any insight..
Old 06-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone ever call CHP about vin numbers???? (hadehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hadehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was always curious if they can tell anything from the block code.. Is it somehow linked to the car's vin number in the police database??

That would be a lot of information to store for the police department.. Im talking about pre 96 motors that didn't come with a vin plate on them..

Thanks for any insight..</TD></TR></TABLE>

as far as i know that number is special to every motor but its all for honda's use not the DMV or anyones.

could be wrong but this is what i was always told
Old 06-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got my usdm b18c1 long block off a trade for my turbo kit, since its a 95 the block does not have any vin number. the only ID was the block number. I just gave the block number to a couple of my friends who are cops. both from different district and it came out clean.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone ever call CHP about vin numbers???? (stockegsix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockegsix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got my usdm b18c1 long block off a trade for my turbo kit, since its a 95 the block does not have any vin number. the only ID was the block number. I just gave the block number to a couple of my friends who are cops. both from different district and it came out clean.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats exactly what im talking about. Carfax wont tell u ****, only the police will know if its stolen or not. And im pretty sure that each honda VIN has a block number that goes with it, as slammed_93_hatch stated. My friend blew his motor, acura gives him another one and they record the new block number for his VIN.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have the vin of the supposed car the block came from this is what you can do:

take the vin#
and the block number found under b18c1

call american honda and have them do a match for you
Old 06-08-2004, 12:32 AM

Default Re: anyone ever call CHP about vin numbers???? (stockegsix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockegsix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got my usdm b18c1 long block off a trade for my turbo kit, since its a 95 the block does not have any vin number. the only ID was the block number. I just gave the block number to a couple of my friends who are cops. both from different district and it came out clean.</TD></TR></TABLE>

check your pm.....i would really appreciate if you can help me put ...thanks
Old 06-08-2004, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone ever call CHP about vin numbers???? (krazySOHC)

the block code through me off too.....since i dont have a vin on the tranny
Old 06-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone ever call CHP about vin numbers???? (GoT HaTcH)

When I used to be in Miami I contacted the police there about a block number of a motor that I was interested in purchasing. I was transferred to a detective that took the info and said that they would have to look up the block number in the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database since the block numbers dont match the VIN in any manner. He looked up the info and gave me the results. A few years later I tryed that again and the detective I spoke with said that he could only look up the blok numbers with NCIC is there was a case related to him looking up the info. He then told me that they could check the block number if I called an officer out to the location of the motor and they could check it then.

So it looks like the NCIC/FBI have the block number to VIN reference and far as I know so does Honda, but I have yet to have a dealership give out that info.

NCIC info
http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/fbi/is/ncic.htm

John