Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone buy rings / bearings from Honda (Majestic)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone buy rings / bearings from Honda (Majestic)

Hello! I am wanting to get my bearings and rings from Honda. d16z6 I like ordering from Majestic.

Does anyone have experience ordering piston rings, I see they want 30.00 for the rings, require 4. Does this mean I get 4 sets of rings for 30, or does it cost 120 to get rings for all cylinder?

Likewise, Does it really cost 10.00 a bearing?! Or 10/set 10/pair...

Anyone with experience please chime in , thanks!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: Anyone buy rings / bearings from Honda (Majestic)

They always say that. One engine block requires 4 piston rings. You don't have to get 4 they are just saying thats how many rings the block has. If you choose pistons they will tell you the same requirements.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so it is 30 x 4 = $120 for honda piston rings?
Old 03-14-2014, 07:52 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. $30 is for one ring set (two compression rings, two oil scraper rings, one separator ring). You need four ring sets - one for each cylinder. For the main bearings, it's $10 per half shell. You need 10 of them - two per journal. You also need to make sure they are the correct size. For the rod bearings, you need 8 - once again two per journal. Once again, they are roughly $10 each, and once again, you need to make sure they are the correct size. You alsoalso need the thrust bearing set. You need two, but thankfully there are two per pack, so you only have to order one pack. Also, thankfully, you don't have to worry about sizing with the thrust bearings - they only come in one size.

Grand total for OEM bearings, you're looking around $200 plus shipping, and Majestic absolutely rapes you on shipping prices. Do yourself a favor, call Myles at English Racing, tell him James sent you, and see what he can do for you.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shipspring2014. 25% off majestic shipping.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:48 PM

When a discount on shipping is a valid business practice, you know they're raping people on shipping.

Seriously, there are a LOT of other, better options out there for buying OEM parts online. Find the proper bearing sizes, get the part numbers for them, punch the numbers in Google, and find out where your best option is. When I bought all of my OEM timing components and plastics, EBHparts.com (another dealership like Majestic) was cheaper in every way.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:39 PM
Fish Twig

Damn if this is raping on shipping charges than rape me all you want.
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2014, 11:51 PM

Notice the two asterisks next to "Shipping Charge"? Yeah, a bumper and fenders are oversized. They want $21 to ship a few bearings that would easily fit in a small flat rate box, which only costs $5.80. Yes, they rape people on shipping.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:27 AM
Fish Twig

Couldn't find where to add coupon code, oh well. i already know how much it really cost to ship that stuff. i found that surprising though.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:31 AM

You already know how much it costs to ship a bumper and two fenders, and decided to use numbers you knew were incorrect to try to prove a point that is wrong?

Old 03-16-2014, 09:44 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Flat rate boxes is with USPS. I couldn't find a similiar product with UPS.

They could be in contract with UPS so can't use other couriers without breaching their contract.

UPS tends to be a bit higher priced over other couriers. So not really gouging with shipping, just charging you what they have to pay.

"Sales" on shipping is actually a loss for them to drum up business. They will pay some of the shipping costs out of their pockets, UPS still gets paid regardless. It's just like how a mega department store we have up here called Superstore will pay all the sales taxes (we have 2 of them) some weekends. The government still gets their money but in this case the store is paying it out of their pocket to drum up extra business.

Other companies might not have committed to a courier so can shop around for a lower shipping costs. I'm willing to bet they won't be able to ship a long block as economically though being out of contract.

Then again, to get into contract with a courier you have to be able to provide a minimum amount of shipping volume to warrant the cheaper rates they provide you.

Also, shipping isn't just the shipping charge, there is also the handling (packing costs and materials). There are a lot of factors that are involved in shipping that can affect the costs. Cheapest isn't always the best bang for your buck.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Ferio Wdm Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My girls grandfather works at honda, i can get the bearings at his price, and i can ship to you? Pm me