Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

anybody running this muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody running this muffler?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

i got pulled over for the stupid pepboys **** that came on my car, so time for a change.

ordered new bumpers, and now im thinking about exhaust.

been looking at the dynomax super turbo mufflers, either just a generic one, or i found that one on summit. price isnt terrible either.

so, my question. how loud is this? never heard one on a civic. youtube doesnt give me anything either. so, as long as its not too loud, it sounds good, and its not junk, also if it looks good. then ill grab it lol.

let me know guys
Old 06-03-2009, 06:43 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: anybody running this muffler?

I had a magna flow just like this. It sounded real nice and looked oem and didn’t hang low or catch attention.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome, thats what im going for. i was ****ing idling along in traffic, and state trooper pulls in behind im, i was pissed, left my house early to get to work early, and i get pulled over.

so, the de ricing starts, and hopefully i wont get so much attention from the boys in the car now haha
Old 06-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rick_rabies
I had a magna flow just like this. It sounded real nice and looked oem and didn’t hang low or catch attention.
Originally Posted by g230sport
anyone?
he says it sounded nice
Old 06-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just wanting other opinions as well.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just from looks alone I get a good idea of what it will sound like, as any guy who's has a few different mufflers on Hondas can. I'm running a RS*R Exmag, which is also a big style muffler. It will be quiet, but it's volume will also depend on what the rest of your exhaust setup is. If you have a resonator in your b-pipe then it will be nice and quiet but not sound completely stock. That's the sound I go for, like the sound of a stock ITR.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by g230sport
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

i got pulled over for the stupid pepboys **** that came on my car, so time for a change.

ordered new bumpers, and now im thinking about exhaust.

been looking at the dynomax super turbo mufflers, either just a generic one, or i found that one on summit. price isnt terrible either.

so, my question. how loud is this? never heard one on a civic. youtube doesnt give me anything either. so, as long as its not too loud, it sounds good, and its not junk, also if it looks good. then ill grab it lol.

let me know guys
Go with something that you find and verify the sound. I would also ask if you were revving the engine higher and is why you got pulled over.

I had actually purchased a header/exhaust system off eBay which ran a down pipe with no cat. The sound was horrible at first, especially after I took off the silencer. I threw on a high flow cat and that smoothed out the overly loud and horrible sounds. It is much smoother now.

If you are going to fork over around $500-600 for a full exhaust, check out Greddy, Megan or Tanabe. They seem to not be over powering, but definitely look up the videos.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have heard some dynomax's and they sound like crap, just my opinion
Old 06-03-2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by gsrauto98
i have heard some dynomax's and they sound like crap, just my opinion
Yes they do sound like complete ***
Old 06-04-2009, 02:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was idling in traffic and a state trooper rolled up behind me...

oh well, i can always change it again later... itll work for a while
Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you want to have an exhaust that will fit your engine's capabilities. Too big and you won't have any backpressure, too small and you'll have too much backpressure and it'll still sound like ****. Not to mention the power.

Depending on what motor setup and power levels, a 2.5 pipe with 3" resonator to a Magnaflow can should be sufficient for most setups. Otherwise there are a number of other manufactures to choose from.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had that muffler w 2.5 piping on my prelude. its quite at idle big differences on the fwy (compared to stock). doesnt sound ricey or canish not too loud. sometimes it sets alarms when starting up the car. i would get one on my ef just cause it looks stock. those were one of the common mufflers to get back in days.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i suggest a magnaflow i got pulled over 3 times for modified exhaust and until i got the magnaflow no tickets and sounds real clean it cost me 110$ already installed and the best thing the exhaust looks stock
Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 AM

bump to magnaflow if your worried about looking stock
Old 06-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CiViCaDDict
Go with something that you find and verify the sound. I would also ask if you were revving the engine higher and is why you got pulled over.

I had actually purchased a header/exhaust system off eBay which ran a down pipe with no cat. The sound was horrible at first, especially after I took off the silencer. I threw on a high flow cat and that smoothed out the overly loud and horrible sounds. It is much smoother now.

If you are going to fork over around $500-600 for a full exhaust, check out Greddy, Megan or Tanabe. They seem to not be over powering, but definitely look up the videos.
if u are looking for a full catback Apex WS2 sounds like stock youtube the vids sound nice as hell with proven power gains
Old 06-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by batallic
if u are looking for a full catback Apex WS2 sounds like stock youtube the vids sound nice as hell with proven power gains
Yeah when people want a quiet, quality exhaust system they usually look at the Apex-i WS2, RS*R Exmag, and Greddy SP2. The Greddy is a little bit louder than the other two. The WS2 is what most people get because of the lower price, plus it's polished. And people like me get the RS*R Exmag because I had my heart set on it, but it's really expensive. You won't regret getting any of these systems.

But if you don't care about having a name brand catback, then just get the muffler you want and go to the muffler shop. I wouldn't directly buy a muffler from a muffler shop because they're overpriced. Instead, bring your muffler with you.

I used to do the muffler shop thing, but I wanted mandrel bends, a cleaner look, and a better sound. It took my 3 months to save up for my exhaust, but it was worth every penny. I probably won't ever buy another exhaust again, and I won't need to since it's uber-high quality stainless steel. Plus why buy another when it looks like this? (It didn't come black, I painted it, it came raw stainless.)

g230sport, hat exhaust setup do you have right now?

Last edited by Rok_Stok; 06-04-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: showed off my sexy exhaust jk
Old 06-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yah a muffler shop will rape on the price... i ordered my apex N1 and brought it to the shop and the complete the rest of the axleback up to my downpipe with 3" piping, installed my exhaust, angled it like 2 degrees tilted up, and the total was like $185, plus the $100 i paid for the axleback & flex pipe = $285 and my exhaust sounded sick... ****in thieves got it when they jacked my **** =(
Old 06-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the car as i know used to have the apexi n1 catback, but the muffler rusted off i guess, so he had a pepboys fart can welded on.

so, im going to be running the n1 mid pipe, and then the dynomax super turbo axle back. with a gutted cat, should sound good hopefully.

basically i want it to sound quite, and somewhat stock cruising around, but loud when i get on it like when i take it to the track etc.

i think this will work, if it doesnt sound amazing, its all good.

but i did get my stock bumpers today, they look so good

should be painted and on this weekend, atleast the front, i might have to wait to do the rear until i get my exhaust.

finally not going to be so ricey!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look Into ES Tuning Oval Exhaust! Cheap, Quiet But Deep, Looks Close To Stock! I Loved Mine! PS Anything with gutted cat sounds like ****! don't care what anyone says.....it's rice
Old 06-04-2009, 03:52 PM

how bout buying a cheap ebay cat back muffler just for the pipping and then getting a axleback exhaust of your choice? has anyone done this? is it possible?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the car came like that. itll sound good enough, cant sound worse than what i have now!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CiViCaDDict

Out of curiosity when was Megan comparable to Greddy or Tanabe? lol I know you didn't compare them but I wouldn't put them in the same sentence with Megan JMHO

I have heard a dynomax on a DA integra and honestly it didn't sound bad at all. Not as good as others but it was quiet until high rpm and it wasn't raspy!
Old 06-05-2009, 11:09 AM
New User

apexi
Old 06-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any sound clips of this muffler, i cant find any...

Quick Reply: anybody running this muffler?