Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any ways to make a Civic safer??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ways to make a Civic safer??

I am about to buy my first civic soon, im looking for years 1996-2000. Anyways I am about to start college soon and I need something cheaper on gas to drive me about 70 miles a day. My 91' S-10 Blazer with a 327 isn't going to cut it.

I plan on keeping the car fairly stock, and when I get more $$$ hopefully a b16 or b18 swap N/A. Just something mild around 180 to 200hp at the motor.

My main worry is saftey. I know I am a safe driver, I don't race on the streets or nothing, but there are a lot of stupid people on the road and I don't want to get hit in something not safe.

Are there any ways to make a civic safer?? I mean a full cage is out of the question because there is no way in hell im going to drive everyday with a helmet, but what about a 4 point cage? Anything else to make the front end less prone to folding up like a soda can in a crash? Basicaly anything to make these cars safer for every day driving??
Old 05-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any ways to make a Civic safer??

so you want your car to be like an armored car?

i dont want to sound like a douche, but accidents happen and it all depends on how you drive.

i myself drive safely everyday. the problem is the driver beside you on the street or freeway, you can never tell if he/she is driving safely.

if you want, reinforce the chassis of your car, that's the only way i can think of.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eros18
so you want your car to be like an armored car?

i dont want to sound like a douche, but accidents happen and it all depends on how you drive.

i myself drive safely everyday. the problem is the driver beside you on the street or freeway, you can never tell if he/she is driving safely.

if you want, reinforce the chassis of your car, that's the only way i can think of.
No u didn't sound like a douche, but you pretty much nailed it. I know I am a safe driver, but I am scared about the person that thinks he can make it through that yellow light in the other lane (happend to my gf, she got t-boned by some idiot).

Basically what I want to know is what kind of reinforcements I can do to the chassis to improve strength. I am not trying to make a tank, just something a little stronger then a stock civic. I have a 140 amp MIG welder so I can weld if needed.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 PM

Well you can always put a roll cage into ur car, but that would weigh it down making u lose mpg.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

honestly bro, there are some pros and cons

hondas are really easy to work on. they are also cheap to fix and get parts for

on the downside, they're no safer than a vw or a toyota and much more likely to get stolen. i drive a toyota pickup now as a daily driver because its a lot less likely to be stolen and still gets 28 mpg highway while being able to tow 3700 lbs with a class 3/4 hitch.

hondas are great if you're looking to do a swap, definitely! most swaps will get you a healthy amount of power in comparison to other 4-bangers. safety and/or reliability wise its really up to you. all of my hondas at this point have swaps in them but i count on my toyota to never let me down for the daily grind
Old 05-18-2009, 09:22 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon H.
I am about to buy my first civic soon, im looking for years 1996-2000. Anyways I am about to start college soon and I need something cheaper on gas to drive me about 70 miles a day. My 91' S-10 Blazer with a 327 isn't going to cut it.

I plan on keeping the car fairly stock, and when I get more $$$ hopefully a b16 or b18 swap N/A. Just something mild around 180 to 200hp at the motor.

My main worry is saftey. I know I am a safe driver, I don't race on the streets or nothing, but there are a lot of stupid people on the road and I don't want to get hit in something not safe.

Are there any ways to make a civic safer?? I mean a full cage is out of the question because there is no way in hell im going to drive everyday with a helmet, but what about a 4 point cage? Anything else to make the front end less prone to folding up like a soda can in a crash? Basicaly anything to make these cars safer for every day driving??
The front end crushing in IS a safety feature. You would rather the front end absorb the impact instead of you and the other occupants of the car.

Keep your eyes open. Use your mirrors religiously (you should feel blind without them). Stay out of the blind spots of other drivers (if you can't see their rearview mirror, they can't see you). Assume they're not paying attention. Give yourself plenty of room around you. Give yourself an out if possible.

Always assume you are surrounded by vehicles weighing several tons apiece piloted by morons. This works well since this is usually the case.

There are always ways you can improve your driving.

All of these "chassis reinforcement" ideas mentioned are probably more likely to hurt you or others than to save anyone.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well then I guess that solves those questions. But would a 4 point roll bar/cage help any or is it just for looks more then anything else?

I have been looking for a Toyota Pickup, but I can't find one cheap. I can find a 97 civic cheaper then a 87' toyota pickup.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well they do make fender supports, thats it really besides airbags and puttin a cage in...
Old 05-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alrighty well then I guess I will be doing some research on 4 point roll bars then. I looked at fender supports but for $250... it doesn't look like they do much plus I am sure I can make them for much cheaper.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:57 AM

Crashes are gonna happen, the only thing you can do is avoid being in them. Be an alert and cautious driver and yourll be fine. I have had 100s of near misses that were not my fault and ive only been driving for a little over 6 years. People dont use blinkers, or just come right over into your lane. The best thing you can do is give the guy ahead of you little extra space, and just be very observant. It sounds like your a new driver and you just arent comfortable behind the wheel yet, but yourll get better.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More horsepower, better brakes, better suspension and get familiar with your car and drive defensively.

There have been multiple times where morons have cut me off, such as last week when a guy in a truck pulled right out in front of me as I was going straight through an intersection with a green light. Douschebags love to tailgate me, regardless of how fast I'm driving. Sometimes you have to make quick lane changes, other times you gotta mash the skinny pedal.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thi3v3z
Crashes are gonna happen, the only thing you can do is avoid being in them. Be an alert and cautious driver and yourll be fine. I have had 100s of near misses that were not my fault and ive only been driving for a little over 6 years. People dont use blinkers, or just come right over into your lane. The best thing you can do is give the guy ahead of you little extra space, and just be very observant. It sounds like your a new driver and you just arent comfortable behind the wheel yet, but yourll get better.
Actualy I am about to be 21 in a couple months and have been driving for over 5 years. I am a great driver, but just like everyone else has said, there are a lot of STUPID drivers on the roads these days. I am going from a truck that has a nice beefy frame and tube bumpers, to something a lot lower and smaller. So it just worries me a little.... I guess I need to get over it, but mainly I was just wondering of stuff I can do to the car to make it even a little safer like a 4 point bar and stuff. Just small things that can benifit the car in a wreck. Like I always said "Its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it". I would always say that about guns, but I guess it applies here too.

I was in my first wreck about a year ago, some ******* ran a light and t-bones my gf's car. Luckily it was on her side lol (I hope she doesn't read this) but it still hurt like **** and its a little scary getting hit in a small car so anything to add strength is a plus. It hardly dented the 78' camaro but it crushed the hell out of her 97' camry
Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a flame retardent suit and wrap your car in bubble wrap
Old 05-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rick_rabies
get a flame retardent suit and wrap your car in bubble wrap
I have been thinking about that, I just don't think I can see out of the car good enough if I do this tho.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:01 AM

Well the safest thing you can do to a car is put in a safe driver. You could put in a roll cage, but you gotta remember, civics have no frame, so theres not much to weld to. Also, cars are designed to crumple in certain ways. By adding roll cage or changing around the structure, you could in fact being doing more harm then good. Crumple zones are designed to absorb the impact, your roll cage will transfer all the energy to you. T-bones are just one kinda accident that is just really hard to protect against.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You are more likely to hurt yourself more with a roll cage... Roll cages were meant mostly to protect drivers in the event of a rollover... That combined with the fact that in race cars the drivers are wearing helmets and securely strapped in via 5 point harnesses. Not to mention they usually have an entire crew of people to pull them out from all that mess... Depending on what kind of cage you get you could make a 35mph crash fatal if your head bounces off of the cage...
Old 05-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tercel95
You are more likely to hurt yourself more with a roll cage... Roll cages were meant mostly to protect drivers in the event of a rollover... That combined with the fact that in race cars the drivers are wearing helmets and securely strapped in via 5 point harnesses. Not to mention they usually have an entire crew of people to pull them out from all that mess... Depending on what kind of cage you get you could make a 35mph crash fatal if your head bounces off of the cage...
Did you even read my first post??

"a full cage is out of the question because there is no way in hell im going to drive everyday with a helmet"

I am not talking about a cage. I am talking about a 4 point roll bar, The kind that goes behind the seat and there is nothing in front or on the side of the driver.

Like this one, part number MMRB-1.3
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/in...th=121_126_271
Old 05-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WELL GUESS WHAT...

I just got a call about an hour ago, my girlfriend just got in another wreck. According to her she was pulling up to a red light and the person behind her didn't see her and locked up the brakes so she drove forward a little because traffic was moving up and to get out of the way when the person in front of her slammed on the brakes. as she was pulling up to get out of the way and she hit the person in front of her. She will need a new hood and bumper now. Its was her fault but she got off easy because she is a fire fighter.

I am telling you, people down here can't drive. Idk if I am going to get a civic still or not, but damn the way people drive down here I think I need to start looking for a tank.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:50 PM

accidents happen, thats why its called an accident. If you are this worried but still want a honda, just take a loan out for a fit. they have 5 star front crash test ratings and good rear crash test ratings. they also have air bags in front, to the side, and even some that come out of the seat itself.

Of course, if you dont want to take a loan for whatever reason, just get that civic, and when you come to a light, stop at least a car length behind the person in front, proceed with major caution, and always wear your seat belt. My brother died in a car accident, my cousin died in a car accident, and i have been in one myself. All three were accidents that happen all over the U.S. every day. Just be careful and if you want, take driving classes too. they always help to remind us some of the things we missed the first time around. good luck.

Last edited by Meyerman015; 05-21-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:03 PM

use you girlfriends fire truck then, turn on the sirens when you see a car getting near you. that will keep you safe
Old 05-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

theres not really anything you can do when your driving a honda.
just do your best to stay away from people like that and always pay attension

people are always going to pull and think oh i can make or the guy behind will slow down
then bamm. well thats what happened to my gf. totaled her rsx and the guys 08 civic.
and just because she rear ended him its her fault. even tho the guy pulled out.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:00 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ej1love
well they do make fender supports, thats it really besides airbags and puttin a cage in...
All the "fender supports" I have seen have more to do with reducing chassis flex than providing any sort of safety in a collision.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just stick to your trucks...
Old 05-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Not to be a jerk....

But "people down here can't drive" when it was your girlfriend's fault that she ran into the back of someone?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:17 PM

You want safe, get a Volvo, or a Saab, or an H1. Fact is, MOST people go their whole lives without dying in a wreck. Yes, it happens. Actually, it happens a lot, but theres no way to know exactly who, or where, or when, or any of that crap until its too late. You get a car thats got a great rating for front end crashes, what if you get t-boned? Its a matter or stupid people and **** luck.

My point, buy a car because you like it, do your best not to wreck it and try to avoid people who look like they're gonna run you over. Other than that you can't do a damn thing so you might as well drive something you don't hate and enjoy life before death inevitably kicks your ***. < not to be offensive, but everyone has their final destination.

Next time you sit in your S10, consider what the steering wheel would hack off if it rolled... not pretty.

Just a note; Crash test ratings mean very little, if you run a 5 star rated Golf into a 2 star rated Accent, it might be relevant, but a 5 star in a sub-compact is still no match for a Hummer H1 any way you cut it. So thats useless.

One more note: Civics will bring out the ******* in you. Oblivious soccer moms will try to flatten you with their Suburbans. their husbands will try to run you into a wall with their S-Class's, all while barking on the phone f*kin with the GPS, yelling at their annoying kids, drinking coffee, and feeding the bug up their ***. You'll learn to drive like you never thought possible just trying to avoid being killed. M.I.B driving on the ceiling of tunnels, Harry Potter making the bus narrower to lane split - all that movie crap, its not made up, the people who wrote the movies drive Civics and got pissed with all the idiots out there.

Last edited by jklnhd; 05-19-2009 at 05:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Any ways to make a Civic safer??