Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any tips on lowering my 92 hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips on lowering my 92 hatch?

So since winter is almost over and I have been getting sick of looking at my nuespeed springs not on my car I have decided its time to put them on.

Does anyone have a DIY on lowering with springs or any tips that would help?
Old 02-08-2009, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Any tips on lowering my 92 hatch?

get a spring compressor (sp?), it will really come in handy.

here read this, starts on post #4.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/installing-lowering-springs-1278794/
Old 02-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not only that. You might need a Camber kit. It will help in the long run trust me on that one.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go rent a spring compressor from autozone, advance,etc..

Once you take the old springs off, just install the new ones i guess...(i got coilovers)

ALSO, Make SURE.. you get an alignment..

and if times is hard like it was 4 me, just get a front alignment= ]

if you get an alignment..

i dont think the camber kit will really be needed..

If you dont get an alignment..

watch them front tires go to hell.

Good lUck Homie..
Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Vietnamese!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get some KYB or tokico illuminas shocks too,and a camber kit. After your suspension is install get an alignment then call it a day.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pretty damn dangerous when you do it incorrectly! good luck or just pay someone to do it
Old 02-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you definately want new struts cause your OEM ones will blow out pretty quick. as for a camber kit its not crucial you do that right away... or even at all. just make sure you get an alignment as soon as possible.

my rear springs i was able to put on by hand and didnt need a spring compressor... just a few muscles. the fronts were a bit tougher though.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to try to put the springs on without a compressor and if it doesnt work out ill run and borrow a friends. Also I am looking locally for some struts for cheap since I dont have too much money.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Youre lookin for some trouble if you wanna get your Top hat off the stock spring without a compressor. Has your cars suspension ever been apart?

I dont want to tell you what to do but i was going to put springs on stock struts and quickly got talked out of it. When i got to the rears i just ended up cutting the nut off the piston to get the top hat off. Like 93egSLEEPER said you probably wont need a spring compressor to get the new springs on, but id get one to get the old ones off.

Before you go buck wild on your car see if you can find tokico HP shocks or something at a reasonable price on craigslist or in the marketplace. just my two cents.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ifIexplode
Youre lookin for some trouble if you wanna get your Top hat off the stock spring without a compressor. Has your cars suspension ever been apart?

I dont want to tell you what to do but i was going to put springs on stock struts and quickly got talked out of it. When i got to the rears i just ended up cutting the nut off the piston to get the top hat off. Like 93egSLEEPER said you probably wont need a spring compressor to get the new springs on, but id get one to get the old ones off.

Before you go buck wild on your car see if you can find tokico HP shocks or something at a reasonable price on craigslist or in the marketplace. just my two cents.
I have nuespeed springs already for it just looking for struts now. I even put a wanted add on craigslist for struts. Anyways I heard you can shoot a spring through a brick wall if you **** up so I will probably get a compressor now that you put it that way haha.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hill4589
I have nuespeed springs already for it just looking for struts now. I even put a wanted add on craigslist for struts. Anyways I heard you can shoot a spring through a brick wall if you **** up so I will probably get a compressor now that you put it that way haha.
Yah, i read that you had new springs, Even if you dont buy the most expensive shocks, Anything will perform better than aftermarket springs on stock struts as far as longevity.

And yea, You can rent a spring compressor from advanced auto, What they did when i rented one is you pay for it in full, when youre done you return it, if you dont return it, Its yours. I beat the **** out of it and they still took it back. My opinion its not worth the chance of a spring shooting off and breaking something that costs more than a spring compressor.