Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench?

I am wondering if people have had any luck taking their crankshaft pulley off with a strap wrench? I know people have used impact tools, i know they are air tools but do they make any manual ones? i thought i knew of someone having one you hit with a hammer but i wasnt sure. any info would help
Old 04-04-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (silentblackhat)

There is actuallly a special tool that fits inside of the pulley to keep it still.

Here is a pic.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (_BEN_)

Old 04-04-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (LShatchie)

i know that might work but how do u keep the crankpulley not spin?
Old 04-04-2005, 04:21 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 221 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (_BEN_)

There is a similar tool like the one in the picture but without the long handle. I have used it and it is easier to work with if you don't have a car lift and is limited to under car spacing.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (NVturbo)

crank pulley tool or use the teeth oin the flywheel
Old 04-04-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (Evs-One)

dont you have to drop the transmission to get to the flywheel teeth?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (LShatchie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LShatchie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

nice drawing!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (JDMFreak)

lol, thats a great drawning.. i esspecially love the huge mouth for the FMIC.

i know its overkill.. but i usually use a 1" gun.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:03 PM

take off the starter and put in a large flathead screwdriver in between the grooves
Old 04-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (hatchi)

For that picture to work you need someone in the car, have the car in 5th gear or D and have them on the breaks. Then jump.

You could go to Home Depot or some place along those lines (Harbor Frieght if you have one in your area) and pick up an electric impact gun. Those things are bad ***, and will take the bolt right off.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ something cheap like this maybe
http://www.harborfreight.com/c...45252
Old 04-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lkailburn)

i have had success with a chain type vise grip, which is a vise grip with a chain and all it does is put a chain around something (ie: crank pulley) and hold as hard as any vise grip would. i was able to get the crank pulley bolt off while the motor was both in the car and out of the car on the floor. Hope that helps. oh yeah and i did this by myself.

me &gt; crank pulley bolt
Old 04-04-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (hatchi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take off the starter and put in a large flathead screwdriver in between the grooves </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-05-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: (xhatchracerx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xhatchracerx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have had success with a chain type vise grip, which is a vise grip with a chain and all it does is put a chain around something (ie: crank pulley) and hold as hard as any vise grip would. i was able to get the crank pulley bolt off while the motor was both in the car and out of the car on the floor. Hope that helps. oh yeah and i did this by myself.

me &gt; crank pulley bolt </TD></TR></TABLE>

same thing I did, except I put a piece of old drive belt around the pulley so I didn't tear it up with the chain wrench. between that and a breaker bar, its not that hard.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:03 AM

I can’t believe how many times this is asked I really can’t.

First off DO NOT STICK ANYTHING IN THE FLYWHEAL TEETH! Chances are you'll damage them. It’s happened and ppl come on here wondering why. Its simple the teeth aren’t meant to take that much torque and YES its a lot ******* more then when you start the car so don’t tell me it’s not or ill come over there and kick you in the nuts. (Seriously - I AM NOT DEBATING THIS AGAIN)

Go to auto-zone rent the tool or buy one, they've been found for around $15 online search and find out where I’m not going to look for you.

As for the chain-wrench that’s an interesting idea, I wouldn’t do it unless i was in a pinch if you do that please use a piece of old belt to help ensure you don’t damage the pulley.

Even a small bur on the pulley will cause you to shred your new belts, now is it worth it to rebuild your head or possibly more because you wanted to save a measly $15???

Also make absolutely sure you use the biggest part of the pulley some of them are actually two pieces vulcanized together if you use the side that’s not bolted to the motor you can rip that pulley in half. (Once again I’m defiantly not debating this, I’ve done it myself so **** off if your going to tell me otherwise)

So just get the right tool there around $15 for a non name brand or rent one from AutoZone, You’ll wish you did when you mess something up by doing it half assed.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (nocternaldragon)

Rent something? wtf? There is no need. Put the thing in 5th gear, have a buddy stomp on the brakes and give the breaker bar a push/yank whatever you're comfortable with.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (Falqon)

^^^ true but if you lift up with your legs you get more leverage than standing on the bar. Jumping gives you more power but is very trickey and usually results in hurting your self.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (BeaterKiller)

you guys really need to be using impact guns, (if avail). when you use a breaker bar, outside the car, you loose alot of tourqe and twisting of the bar while your breaking them loose. best is the impact gun, and a short socket. can't loose on 22's.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (Built B16A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Built B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you guys really need to be using impact guns, (if avail). when you use a breaker bar, outside the car, you loose alot of tourqe and twisting of the bar while your breaking them loose. best is the impact gun, and a short socket. can't loose on 22's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Was gonna say the same thing. You don't want all those adapters on because your loosing torque. I use this

Old 04-05-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (Falqon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Falqon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Rent something? wtf? There is no need. Put the thing in 5th gear, have a buddy stomp on the brakes and give the breaker bar a push/yank whatever you're comfortable with.</TD></TR></TABLE> actually I tried that before and my friend couldn't push hard enough on the brakes to prevent it from spinning. I also tried a torque wrench and ended up breaking two torque wrenches and three extensions, [all crafstman] because i was jumping on it, so save yourself the headache and get the rite tools.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (nocternaldragon)

nocternaldragon,
dude, relax. there's no need to get all crazy just because someone asked a question you've seen asked before.

90blackcrx,
is that thing electric or pneumatic? I was wondering, cause I have a set of air tools, but my compressor is too weak to use the impact wrench on anything really stuck so I was thinking about buying an electric impact wrench rather than a new compressor.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (90blackcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Was gonna say the same thing. You don't want all those adapters on because your loosing torque. I use this

</TD></TR></TABLE>
I use the cheap rip-off of that (CE Earthquake from HF). Works great! It's specs are actually a little better than the gun it's a copy of

And take my word for it, it's probably not your compressor that's too weak, it's your gun.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench? (turbohappy)

Yeah I have a nice *** impact gun, and it wont even take it off, I tried torqing at it for like 10 minutes straight, and nothing. Thats why I drew that pic, because it worked for me.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:31 PM

Depending on what civic you have, there are sometimes holes in the crankshaft pulley. you can wedge a 1/4" rachet head into these holes and spin the ratchet until it comes in contact with one of the engine mounts.... then i would use the above illustrated method using the jackstand and extention/breaker bar.

to see a pic of the pulley holes see the link...

http://www.cadvision.com/blanc....html

Quick Reply: Any luck with crankshaft pulley with strap wrench?