Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any K20 swaps in EGs or EKs pass ref and smog in Cali?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any K20 swaps in EGs or EKs pass ref and smog in Cali?

As topic says... I plan to swap a K20 in mines if its possible to pass the ref and smog.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Any K20 swaps in EGs or EKs pass ref and smog in Cali? (integmester)

I suppose you could, just convert everything over to what the k20 is.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im soooo glad i dont have to deal with that BS. i wish i could help ya there. so ill just give ya a bump to get you a answer. GL
Old 12-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Any K20 swaps in EGs or EKs pass ref and smog in Cali? (integmester)

the only problem i see in getting it smogged is passing the visual on the exhaust manifold... since its one of the major parts that need to be custom made and or cut and turned.

and if the refs dont have a visual of the oem in the books you wont pass... but who knows maybe you will be the first and the rest will follow...

if DC made a k20 carb header that would fit the swaps then it will pass the smog ref..

maybe cutting that and turning it would make it pass????? since they will only be looking at the carb number??
Old 12-20-2004, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Any K20 swaps in EGs or EKs pass ref and smog in Cali? (cxSHOE)

interesting point
Old 12-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only problem i see in getting it smogged is passing the visual on the exhaust manifold... since its one of the major parts that need to be custom made and or cut and turned.

and if the refs dont have a visual of the oem in the books you wont pass... but who knows maybe you will be the first and the rest will follow...

if DC made a k20 carb header that would fit the swaps then it will pass the smog ref..

maybe cutting that and turning it would make it pass????? since they will only be looking at the carb number??</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know for sure the K24 header made by DC for the Accords is CARB certified... so this should be of no concern.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any K20 swaps in EGs or EKs pass ref and smog in Cali? (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I know for sure the K24 header made by DC for the Accords is CARB certified... so this should be of no concern.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea if your use the corresponding engine with the dc header you wont have problems...

the only thing is will they have a photo of the header in its uncut form. and then look at yours and see that its been cut and then turned 180degrees??? which wont pass.. but who knows...i guess it depends on what that ref is looking for...
Old 12-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just take time and make your swap REALLY clean and make sure everything is carb-legal. I know at some ref stations you also need the paperwork for your motor saying it's legit. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2004, 10:25 PM

get the DC header and mod it to fit the chassis and put a stock looking head shield on it so it looks stock
Old 12-21-2004, 12:08 AM

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

BUMP

This has been something thats been on my mind for a while now............................... hopefully someones tried it, I even looked on K20a.org to see if anyone has done it but not yet
Old 12-21-2004, 02:02 AM

Default Re: (RELprojects)

I see another problem with the fuel system. The ref won't pass anything that has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on it, let alone a fuel rail.

As far as i know with the k20 swap, you have to use an aftermarket fuel rail, custom fuel lines, and an aftermarket adjustable FPR.

The header you can prolly get away with using a tsx header with heatshields, modifying the stock header to fit, oo modifying a dc header w/ the carb # on it. They don't really pay too close attention to that as long as the has a carb # or looks like a stock manifold, especially since it will be back by the firewall.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:23 AM

Default Re: (DynamicEG22)

i say ask this guy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...%3AIT
Old 12-21-2004, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (soundwave528)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by soundwave528 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i say ask this guy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...%3AIT</TD></TR></TABLE>

WHY??? He's not in CA.

We are going to do a write-up on a K-series swap real soon, but its going to be a track car, not street legal.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (soundwave528)

so much great ideas here. Good luck passing man I hate living in california because of the stupid smog ****. -bump- for some more answers
Old 12-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Civic4less)

Passing the K20 in Cali.

You cannot modify the header.

You must convert to a returnless fuel system.

EVERYTHING that the RSX or donor car had must be used and unmodified.
The fuel lines are free as they don't effect smog (unless you don't use lines specificly made for fuel) but the returnless is not optional, it's a must.
Modifying any header or anything before the cat (even if it just effects flow and not smog) is not optional.

You must, I repeat must not modify anything that relates to smog.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Spade)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You must convert to a returnless fuel system.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That includes using the returnless fuel pump and ECU from a K20, I believe.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That includes using the returnless fuel pump and ECU from a K20, I believe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ECU yes, fuel pump is optional as long as it's close to the same flow rate.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

still havent smogged my hatch.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
ECU yes, fuel pump is optional as long as it's close to the same flow rate.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought that on a returnless fuel system, the ECU controls the fuel pump, like it has PWM control.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought that on a returnless fuel system, the ECU controls the fuel pump, like it has PWM control.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well then that would suck
Old 12-21-2004, 09:58 AM

see its **** like this that makes me wanna go b instead
Old 12-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egcoupe)

i think another problem is with teh ECU, because if im not mistaken u cant have a "modified" ECU, and only one that will work is teh JDM R ECU and thats a "no no" with the bar...

im working on a k20 into my EF CRX (waiting on mounts ), and i was thinking about getting it reff'd, but i dont think its that worth it ...
Old 12-21-2004, 05:05 PM

Did you guys forget the obvious answer to his question.

Pay the man off..lol
Old 12-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pay the man off..lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

But they don't send you the registration sticker for your license plate unless you pass smog.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:11 PM

Can't hondata reflash the ecu and disable the immobilizer in the usdm rsx-s ecu?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Passing the K20 in Cali.

You cannot modify the header....

You must, I repeat must not modify anything that relates to smog.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know you are not allowed too, but i seriously doubt the ref will know if the header has been modified or not, especially if it is aftermarket and only slightly modified.

I BARed my car with a greddy header that had a modified 2.5'' collector. The header was even wrapped in thermal header wrap. The ref didn't say anything, and he was not one of those lax, chill refs either.

Quick Reply: Any K20 swaps in EGs or EKs pass ref and smog in Cali?