Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any DIY or info for changing bushings, or expected cost to have someone do it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any DIY or info for changing bushings, or expected cost to have someone do it?

As title says, I would like to upgrade or at least replace some or all of the bushings in my 2000 Civic Hatchback.

Been researching all morning and most people say I need at least a 20T press for bushings, but I have as yet been unable to find an actual writeup of the process.

Anyone seen a writeup/DIY, preferrably with pictures?

Also, as I know this might be something I wont be able to do, has anyone paid for this to be done before, what kind of price can I expect for something this labour intensive?

Also (yup part 3 of my Q) any recommendations besides going OEM or Mugen for the actual bushings? Any user reviews from people with new bushings would be great. How hard they are, how long they last etc.

I am really just looking for info, and the search has just led me to many people talking about what kind of press I need.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any DIY or info for changing bushings, or expected cost to have someone do it? (MonkeyPuzzle)

and a bump

^ yay we-todd
Old 02-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any DIY or info for changing bushings, or expected cost to have someone do it? (MonkeyPuzzle)

oem bushings are rubber. I would recommend energy bushings, as they're made of polyurethane. Run a search on yahoo, then click on their website. They got all about that material and what not. I dont know how much it'd run.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Any DIY or info for changing bushings, or expected cost to have someone do it? (deadend9009)

Most people on here will tell you to take it to a machine shop to get them pressed out or to cut/burn out the rubber and then cut out the metal sleeve of the bushing. The first is expensive and the second is labor intensive. I've have been looking for an alternative for a while now but since I live in a condo I really can't buy a press (no room for it). I may end up buying one to use at my parents garage and start pressing them and selling them and refund a core charge if the people send me theirs back. Someone posted about a small press from JC Whitney for 25 dollars but not sure if they ever followed up on the thread. If there was enough demand I'd sell them for a decent price already pressed out.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Any DIY or info for changing bushings, or expected cost to have someone do it? (HondaPartsHero)

i changed out all the bushing in my eg and it was a mother****** i first tryed to press them out my self and that was just a huge pain in the ***, so i spend i think 30 at car quest to get all the bushing from the lca,and the trailing arm press out from there is was a breeze. i would just take the stuff to a shop and have them press it out.

also the shop that i worked at would charge an arm and a leg if you where to bring you r car to us and say i want this bushing kit installed. it would very from car to car but aroung 800-1200 dollars to do the full bushing install
Old 02-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The easiest and more cost effective thing to do is to remove your suspension components, take them to a shop and have them press in/out the bushings. They'll charge A LOT less than if you took them your car and they removed the suspension pieces.

But yeah, if you can't get a press - burn'em out and cut/chisel the metal sleeve that once surrounded the bushing but is now rusted inside the arm.

I think the one bushing you wanna stay stock (or Mugen) is the rear trailing arm bushing. The way it rotates/pivots when the suspension is moving up and down is not in a straight line/plane and urethane pieces apparently keep it from moving in its intended direction sometimes causing binding (it's what I've read, not experienced).
Old 02-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what type the trailing arm bushing control arm busing little more infohttps://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1456600
Old 02-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Any DIY or info for changing bushings, or expected cost to have someone do it? (jdmboi86)

I did my b00shings in about 9 hours or so...

best way to do it is pull everything apart... then press out all old bushigns and press in new ones. Haveing a suppy of old piping helped alot with getting the old ones out.

reinstul everything.. go for wheel alignment. Labor cost will rape u in the butt for someone else to do it. Hope you have another car so you dont kill yourself and take ur time.

As far as rear trailor arms.. many ppl say the evergy cause binding. I have yet to feel thing but i havent tracked my car since i instuled them. Read up on it in the suspension or auto x forum.

Best rear trailer arm bushing is the sperical one. its metal with a ball joint inside. something like that
Old 02-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm currently leaning towards pulling all the components and taking them to a shop or biting the bullet and doing it myself.

Any more info about the possible binding on chaning the trailing arm bushing for a non-rubber/oem one?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:40 PM

i replaced my trailing arm bushing with a energy suspencion bushing and i have know problems, my car is lower 2.2 in front and 2.0 in rear with the eibach drag launch springs
Old 02-10-2006, 04:48 PM
R.I.P.

Default Re: Any DIY or info for changing bushings, or expected cost to have someone do it? (Hatch'd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatch’d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i replaced my trailing arm bushing with a energy suspencion bushing and i have know problems, my car is lower 2.2 in front and 2.0 in rear with the eibach drag launch springs</TD></TR></TABLE>you have NO problems?!
Old 02-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Agree w/ EE_Chris.. if you take the suspension apart yourself much much cheaper/eazier to have them pressed in.

Probably about 4-5 hours of work to take everything apart/off.. then about the same to put it back together if you know what your doing. It took me and a friend about 7 hours to do back when I was a rookie, in like 97 before there were any how to's, technical support, or writeups.

Harbor Frieght Tools sells a press really cheap if you wanna really DIY.

As an FYI.. 9 years later and the ES bushings still new.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:33 PM

Default Re: (EgSalad)

I burned off the Trailing Arm Bushings and Front Upper Control Arm Bushings. Installation is not that difficult. Just a couple of washers, bolts and lot of grease get them popped in.

The Front LCA is a different story. I needed to get 2 bushings pressed out on each arm. That would be the damper fork bushing, and the front inner bushing.

Oh yeah, this is on a '99 Si
Old 02-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2BFI)

No more then a days job. Did mine in about 8 hours, torched all the bushing and cut the sleeves. By far hardest part is removing the pieces.

Do yourself a favour and do a "walk around" before a few days before you plan on doing the install. Have a look at the condition of the bolts you will be removing. Buy new ones for anything that looks suspect as some will be damaged by removal. The rear bolts are usually worse then the fronts.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EgSalad)

Yeah removing the parts sounds the best option.

And that will be no problem as I have done it all before, swapped the rear brakes for discs, I've swapped the engine, I'm fairly familiar with my car now I think.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Harbor Freight shop press

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EgSalad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Harbor Frieght Tools sells a press really cheap if you wanna really DIY.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like http://www.harborfreight.com/c...=4711
or http://www.harborfreight.com/c...=1667 ?

Anyone used these? Worth buying or crap?

Any idea what tonnage is needed?

Do you also need a bunch of...don't know the term, but bunch of pipe of different sizes that match the diameter of the bushing sleeves?