Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anti theft thingamajig

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti theft thingamajig

http://www.neverstolen.com/

Looks like a good, safe,non-computerized, inexpensive way to stop your car from being stolen.

Anyone ever heard of these ?
Old 01-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anti theft thingamajig (Boostage)

Cool but I wouldn't want that on my dash. When I first saw that I thought it looked like one of those mini air fresheners- but smaller.

I love my new viper 5000 alarm with air horns

Modified by auctionaccess at 7:13 PM 1/12/2006
Old 01-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much is it? I couldn't find a price on their website.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anti theft thingamajig (auctionaccess)

It seems like a very good idea.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anybody care to explain how it works?
Old 01-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ekcivic9)

All the information is on the site, just take the time to read it.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:46 PM

damn... of all police departments in the US to approve it, its the one closest to me.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anti theft thingamajig (Jeterkm02)

I might have considered that if they sold it in my area, but man, they don't, and I have no clue how to install it anyways.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Anti theft thingamajig (Zhu962)

I read through the stuff on the site, but I'm still not really sure how it works. I mean it SOUNDS like it is actually hardwired into the harness. In that case you'd better be DAMN sure that the installer is good.

Sounds like a wonderful idea, but as previously mentioned it seems to require a very competent installer.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anti theft thingamajig (Zhu962)

I would just put that thing under my dash where you couldnt see it and just reach under and put plug on. When you get out of car just attach it to key ring. That is a cool idea though.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, I'll play the thief

"hey look, a little do-hicky...I'll rip the dash off, remove the part and reconnect the wires"

If youre using this with:
An alarm
Starter kill
Fuel pump kill
any other theft prevention
Cool, every little bit helps.
But if youre using just this one little thing...totally pointless
Old 01-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i made my own kill switch just like that, and it cuts more wire than that. however, no one is willing to pay me to install it, oh well......
Old 01-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tell me where to get one
Old 01-12-2006, 04:34 PM
* B A N N E D *

What is it?
Old 01-12-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Anti theft thingamajig (Redline96LX)

It is a "key" that connects the electronics of the vital engine starting processes (ignition, fuel delivery, etc) through that in-dash piece. The connection cannot be made without that key. The wires are essentially armored, the are wrapped in steel and all the same color, so the thief would not know which ones to connect anyways. Now inexpensive, I'm not so sure about...they are about 400 bucks installed. But supposedly they can't be beat.
However, if they are an unbeatable car security for 400 bucks, shouldnt everyone on honda-tech already know about them? There has to be some catch, after all, I read that from their website, which is obviously trying to convince me to buy.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Anti theft thingamajig (professor poon)

HERE ARE THE DETAILS DIRECTLY FROM THE SITE:

The Ravelco Antitheft Device is installed in an easily accessible place under or flush mounted in the dashboard. A removable 16-pin male plug makes all the electronic connections. Whenever you leave your vehicle, all you have to do to activate the Ravelco system is "pull out the plug" and connect it to your key chain. With the plug removed from the Ravelco, it is impossible to start the vehicle. It is like taking part of your engine with you.

Each Ravelco plug is uniquely coded and individually numbered. There are more than 100,000 different combinations and NO MASTER PLUGS. You are assured that your Ravelco plug is unique, and that no one else can start your vehicle simply by gaining access to another plug.

A hidden armored steel cable protects the wires from the rear of the Ravelco base on through to the engine compartment of the vehicle. All electrical connections are made in the engine compartment and are connected in and through the factory wiring harnesses. Since there are no exposed wires, a properly installed Ravelco is virtually impossible to detect and very time consuming to trace, because all the wires are the same color (black).

The circuits interrupted by the Ravelco may vary from application to application. Typically, they would include the electronic fuel pump, the ignition circuit, the starter circuit or even the computer.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:46 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, I'll play the thief

"hey look, a little do-hicky...I'll rip the dash off, remove the part and reconnect the wires"

If youre using this with:
An alarm
Starter kill
Fuel pump kill
any other theft prevention
Cool, every little bit helps.
But if youre using just this one little thing...totally pointless</TD></TR></TABLE>

First of all, nice try at humor...secondly, at least know SOMETHING about the product before saying something that may convince someone naive enough to listen to you that the product is "totally pointless". We'd all appreciate it...thanks.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah? Ok, tell us how it works then. Id be surprised if it was any different from what I wrote.
Dont just copy what it says on the front page.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:25 PM

my wife's neon had one of those things in it when she bought it. i never would've known but one day i looked up underneath the steering column where it goes into the dash and saw somethign like that. when i pulled the key out the car wouldn't start.

too bad nobody wants to steal a piece of **** 2000 neon automatic
Old 01-12-2006, 06:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah? Ok, tell us how it works then. Id be surprised if it was any different from what I wrote.
Dont just copy what it says on the front page.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Already did tell you how it works, in my own words (maybe you should actually read my posts before trying to make me look stupid), as well as the ones directly from the manufacturer. And why not copy what it says on the front page....it is an accurate summary of how the thing works, plus people obviously don't want to open up the link, which is why they are still asking how it works. Read over the posts and then tell me whether you still know everything about everything.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah? Ok, tell us how it works then. Id be surprised if it was any different from what I wrote.
Dont just copy what it says on the front page.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wired completely into the engine harness, the wires comming from their into the back of the unit are ALL black. making them harder to identify.
Once they connect to the unit, there is 2 layers of circuts that the wires go through which criss cross them, creating over 100,000 different possible connection options.

Even if you ripped all the wires from the circut, you still now have 16 wires that are non coded. You will be there for a while.

If pro car theifs in mexico give up after 34 minutes of trying, I would imagine the average or pro street theif would too.

So dumbass, maybe you should read the website before you go "oh its so easy to bypass"

It's a great idea, but it wont stop people from stealing your stuff from in the car, and it also wont stop the real serious theives who will just tow it. But is certainly reduces the risk
Old 01-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vero)

dont lose that little cap, I'm sure I would
Old 01-13-2006, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

&lt;owned
still, Im really not that impressed
Old 01-13-2006, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If pro car theifs in mexico give up after 34 minutes of trying, I would imagine the average or pro street theif would too.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did I miss something? Where'd that come from?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wired completely into the engine harness, the wires comming from their into the back of the unit are ALL black. making them harder to identify.
Once they connect to the unit, there is 2 layers of circuts that the wires go through which criss cross them, creating over 100,000 different possible connection options.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In theory it sounds great, but when I was looking at all my anti-theft options, this made me a little nervous. Sure, it works great for theft, but what happens when something goes wrong? 16 black wires? That would be a mess.

I think I'd go with the powerlock instead:

http://www.powerlock.com/operation.html

Old 01-13-2006, 05:32 AM

Default Re: (8krdline)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 8krdline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont lose that little cap, I'm sure I would</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto. Then I'd be in my car with 8 paperclips trying out all 100000 combinations to try to get my **** to start.

Quick Reply: Anti theft thingamajig