Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion
View Poll Results: Which suspension do you suggest?
Blox Racing Competition Series Coilovers
6.38%
Buddy Club N+ Spec Full Coilovers
6.38%
Progress CS-II Series 2 Coilovers
10.64%
Ground Control & Koni Struts
55.32%
Megan Racing Street Coilover
2.13%
Omni Power Full Sport coilover
4.26%
Tein Basic
4.26%
Tein SS
6.38%
BC Racing BR-Series Coilovers
2.13%
B&G RS2 Coilover Suspension
0%
Tanabe Sustec Pro S-0C Coilovers
4.26%
Apexi N1 Type EXV Damper / Coilover
10.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Another Suspension Poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon2 Another Suspension Poll

I'm looking to replace the suspension on my 99 Civic, and my wife's 95 Teg. I know this is an old discussion, and I've searched both Google and these forums for answers. I see a lot of polls for suspension a vs suspension b. or choose between a, b, c, and d. But why not vote on a bunch? I would prefer to spend 600 - 1000 per vehicle.

Specs on the cars:
1999 EK Coupe B18C Built ITR (currently on Tokico HPK201s)
1995 LS Integra 3Dr Hatch (Currently dropped 2.5" on unknown springs and OEM struts)

My Civic goals are to lower my car 2 inches, and I want it to perform in the mountains on tight turns, uneven mountain roads with the occasional rocks and debris. I don't want to end up off a cliff. I'm thinking Ground Control and Konis. Specifically this kit:
http://www.ground-control-store.com/...p/II=681/CA=71

My Tokico's did great up to the point when I rebuilt my engine. Now they can't deal with VTEC

The Integra is a mess. The stock oem struts are ruined, and the bushings are tore up from LA roads and a poorly thought out suspension setup. I want it to have a smooth ride, but still handle well when she needs it to. I was thinking Tein Basics, with new bushings, and some tie bars.

I'll be interested to see what you all come up with.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Another Suspension Poll

Whoever voted for tein basic on there should be kicked in the shin. What an outstanding waste of money in the form of a mediocre product that people pay a premium JDM tax for.

If you're looking to spend $600-1000 per car, here's what I would do:

Koni/Ground control on both vehicles.

Only company on that list with lifetime warranties on the coil sleeve and the shock. Many users on these forums have a decade or more on Koni shocks. You can't say anything bad about them. They're the most widely used shock in autocross. Progress is making it's way up there though too.

I personally have progress CS-II which at $580 is a bargain. The only two things on your entire list I would actually buy for my car are progress and the koni/ground control setup.

At $800 the koni/ground control is hands down the best bang for the buck. Can't beat the lifetime warranty.

And with ground controls you can pick custom rates for your car and custom rates for your wife.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome thank you for the feed back. I will consider GC and Konis for both. The link I attached has a "honda-tech" special for $1200, but just the GC and Koni's run about $900.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
Awesome thank you for the feed back. I will consider GC and Konis for both. The link I attached has a "honda-tech" special for $1200, but just the GC and Koni's run about $900.
Koni/GC combo is $799 shipped from THMotorsports in the sponsor forum here. It's hard to find anything cheaper than on our marketplace. it's a phenomenal place to get exclusive deals on parts that often aren't available at that price or available at all anywhere else.

Like rebranded billet throttle bodies for $180. The brand name is $399.

Lots of good stuff there if you know what you're looking at.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Koni/GC
Old 05-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sold on the Koni's and GC. Especially for that price. I pm'ed THMotorsports. Thank's for pointing me in the right direction
Old 05-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Master Detailer

I'm sold on the Koni's and GC. Especially for that price. I pm'ed THMotorsports. Thank's for pointing me in the right direction
You made the right choice.

For the money, it's fantastic setup.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

You can get them from THM with all 4 top mounts for just over $1K, but really the top mounts aren't needed for the rear, and aren't needed at all IMHO if you don't run super slammed.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm I'm planning 2 inches which is not a super slam. I'll go with their option 1 for both cars then. Thanks for the advice
Old 05-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Hmm I'm planning 2 inches which is not a super slam. I'll go with their option 1 for both cars then. Thanks for the advice
Indeed. I'm about 2.5" or so lower and there's no need for top hats. The top hats are truly for the folks tucking some serious tire. 3.5"+ probably or more. Even then, it's a matter of how much you want your suspension components banging each other vs. how willing you are to put up with 600lb+ front rates.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend had Tanabe Sustec's on his 2000 Civic and they provided a nice ride, but I'd say go for the GC setup.

That or Progress.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive sat on the apexi exv... tein basic and SS... and also koni and GC set up..... over all... all of them feel good. cant go wrong with comfort and a little bit of stiffness i guess... but the warranty on the koni would be a better choice
Old 05-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well... I do want my wife to have comfort, and stability. For me I'm more concerned with avoiding death I spend a lot of time in the mountains. Los Angles mountains are very rocky, and twisted.. at 50-60 mph I'm not to concerned with comfort
Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Buddy club N all the wayyyy.... workeD awesome
Gave me back pain got used to it really stiff when set
Worth it i got it $620 out the door. Ajustable damper
Old 05-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your really into that mountain scene and you dont care about comfort... just get koni on GC.. and get custom rates and get the shocks re valvd and your set......for your wifes car... probably the same thing with softer rates + warranty on the konis ..... but if you find a deal on tein flex or apexi exv ... go for it...... the exv i rode on was 12k 10k spring rate on softest setting.. and they felt very soft... the shocks absorb very well and the ride isnt terrible....the flex i road in had 8k 6k rates if i remember correctly again softest setting..and that was probably more comfortable than the exv.. probably cause the spring rates
Old 05-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Master Detailer

Well... I do want my wife to have comfort, and stability. For me I'm more concerned with avoiding death I spend a lot of time in the mountains. Los Angles mountains are very rocky, and twisted.. at 50-60 mph I'm not to concerned with comfort
Is she looking to stay at the 2'' drop now? Can she tolerate somewhat of a stiff ride?

For you, TIRES,TIRES,TIRES!!

hardrace and PIC both make good bushings. I can't say for certainity, but I have been told/read PIC is stiffer. You 'should' be able to get bushings/ coilovers in both cars and stay in the 1k, if you are able to do the work yourself.

Personally, I'd stay away from tie bars at this point...
Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Her current ride is bone shattering, and her bushings are dead so every bump is a BAM! BAM! experience. I think she will be happy with any of the previously mentioned options.

Yes I need tires. I'm not too impressed with the longevity of my Falcons. They were great new, but after 7,000 or so miles they suck, horrible in the wet, and loud!

I actually got stuck in a snow storm for 6 hours coming home over Christmas. No chains, bad tires. It was a traumatic experience...
Old 05-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm also looking at Gc and Koni... I currently have eibach on my car now... They came on the car... What a waste of money in my opinion, maybe they are just shot... But they are horrible!!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Master Detailer

Her current ride is bone shattering, and her bushings are dead so every bump is a BAM! BAM! experience. I think she will be happy with any of the previously mentioned options.

Yes I need tires. I'm not too impressed with the longevity of my Falcons. They were great new, but after 7,000 or so miles they suck, horrible in the wet, and loud!

I actually got stuck in a snow storm for 6 hours coming home over Christmas. No chains, bad tires. It was a traumatic experience...
Is she happy with the height?

I'd do something in the 400/450F and 350/300R for her, if she's planning to stay that low, or go lower.

For you, I'd do 450/500F 400R. Will be stiff, and with some good tires/sway bar/bushing combo, could be just what you need.

Infact those are the rates I am considering for mine.

I've been stuck MANY times. At work, highway, slid into snow bank. Had to have my uncle pull me up a hill on chirsmas eve. Thankfully, no damage to the car.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by 98civdx
For you, I'd do 450/500F 400R. Will be stiff, and with some good tires/sway bar/bushing combo, could be just what you need.
I'm planning on doing something like that when I get around to upgrading. Either koni/GC or AMR and I'll go 550 or 500 front and 400/450 rear.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whers the f&f type 1/2/2.5

jk i'm going to look into the koni/gc set up now as well
Old 05-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by keketre
whers the f&f type 1/2/2.5

jk i'm going to look into the koni/gc set up now as well
Because function/form is known to ship shocks that leak in the shipping process.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I really am not sure how this will turn out as it will be a new experience. But I know I'm not going to be let down. How would GC/Konis feel at 500F 400R compared to my Tokicos? I guess it will also depend on the dampening setting as well.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Ek Forever y0!

I really am not sure how this will turn out as it will be a new experience. But I know I'm not going to be let down. How would GC/Konis feel at 500F 400R compared to my Tokicos? I guess it will also depend on the dampening setting as well.
That should be very tolerable for a daily driver especially with the rear on soft. Rear spring rate is what often contributes the most to ride comfort.

On my progress setup I've got 350 rear and mine is fine for daily driving. Noticeable but not jarring.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice. And with the dampening I can adjust the characteristics of both front and rear?

Quick Reply: Another Suspension Poll