Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 05:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK!

Okay, I am building my latest car up as most of you guys know. My old car had the Tanabe Racing Medallion exhaust with an AEM intake and a re-chipped P28 ECU. This combo was good for 175whp on my B18C5 with the STOCK exhaust manifold.

Well, building this new car is presenting new interesting thoughts. I am actually debating going with a quiter exhaust. I absolutely LOVED my old Tanabe - it really SCREAMED when VTEC kicked in, but that car had full interior.

My new car will have NO interior, I mean NONE. No door panels, carpet, rear panels, tar is all gone, etc. The constant hum of the Tanabe is very cool, but I'm wondering how "good" it will be with no interior whatsoever.

Has anyone ever gone from a Tanabe RD to an Apex-i WS? I want a full catback, not a piped system with an ES-style muffler. There are no good muffler shops in GA that can pipe a really good mandrel-bent system for a nice muffler, so I want a cat-back.

My friend, Trey has a World Sport. I like the look, and it's quiet as hell, but will it flow as goiod as my old Tanabe? I sold the Tanabe so I will have to buy an exhaust regardless.

Also, I would like to run a stock airbox, but the tubing for the ITR motor is made to run totally different from the O.E Civic stuff, but I need the extra large ITR tubing.

I would like some quiet, but NOT at the expense of whp. I want to see just how much my weight loss (200+lbs.) and the addition of the ATS 4.929 FD will drop my 13.9@ 10.97 1/4 mile.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 03-04-2002, 05:58 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK! (B18C5-EH2)

Oh yeah, here's a pic to show you guys WHY I am going NO interior:

There's two schools of thought here:

1. The car will already be so extreme that the loud-*** intake and exhaust will only add to the craziness - this would be a nice intimidation factor.

2. The loud-*** combo will get on my damn nerves, and on my girl's nerves too.

I just worry about the possible power losses if any.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK! (B18C5-EH2)

Damn Tom, ya dropped 200 Lbs.!!! Nice. Are you weighing in at around 1900-2000 without you? If so, you can kiss 13.9's goodbye As for the exhaust, I had TRM on my 2000 Si, it was OK, the Apex'i seems nice too. I'm sure either one would do nicely. Although, I'd go for the 2 1/2" Custom piped to ES Muffler route Hehe

Good Luck and post pics and times!!

Miguel
Old 03-04-2002, 07:06 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY NICE!!! love the paint job.. when are you gonna have it all running and back on the streets agian? i want to see the final pics..
Old 03-04-2002, 11:22 PM

i would think that you would at least want interior up front...door panels, center console, but no carpet...but...i understand why youre doing it. i can relate to not wanting a horribly loud exhaust on your car because of the noise pullution...i cant stand going on long drives and hearing that buzz for over 200 miles...the only problem is with the interior gone, even with stock exhaust, its gonna be pretty loud in there to begin with...i belive were only talking a few decibels less with the WS, as opposed to the N1 style you had before with the tuh'nobby...personally, i like the WS, or even the HKS sport system...im a big fan of "somewhat" stock looking exhausts...good luck with your project, seems like youve got youre **** together and you know your stuff...
Old 03-04-2002, 11:31 PM

The APexi WS is an excellent exhaust, my friend has it on his 1.6EL it's not too loud but you could definitely feel the pull at the top end, I definitely recommend it.
Old 03-05-2002, 03:40 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK! (SuperRice)

Well, my friend has a World sport on his hybrid hatchback, and it is almost silent even when VTEC kicks in.

It's a really tough choice because I loved the Racing Medallion, and really if I want to take a nice car out somewhere I can take my fiancee's 1992 hybrid hatch - she has the Racing Medallion too, but she also has full interior. I can't imagine how damn loud that's going to be in my new ride with no interior.

Anybody ever go from a Racing Medallion to a world Sport? I'm really concerned with power output - the Racing Medallion is a straight-through motorcycle type muffler design, and I believe that it is great for top end whp. I just don't want to sacrifice whp for quietness. Like I said above, I don't want to take a step back in terms of whp.

Anyways, thanks for the replies, and I will post pics as soon as some real progress is made on the car.

Later.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO, 90% of all aftermarket exhaust syystems are within like 1 or 2 hp of each other. Not worth the extra $100 or so you would pay for a Super Racing Medallion or something (atleast I don't think so). Exhaust systems are more of a preference for sound and looks. Look at this dyno that I'm sure a lot of you have seen from the Hybrid page:

Systems are: Magnaflow Street, Magnaflow Race, Tanabe RM, and Greddy/Trust BL. They didn't bother mentioning which was which because they're so close to each other it doesn't really matter. So go for the World Sport; worst case scenario you lose .02 hp or something.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:40 AM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK! (hybridreams)

that chart is on a motor only pushing 140whp. Actually, now that I look at it again, that's a pretty wierd chart. Strange for a Honda to have 140-145whp and 125-130wtq. Usually with those torque #'s, on a 1.8L anyway, you'll see more like 170whp. Hmm.
On a motor flowing more and making closer to 190-200whp, you will see a larger difference between different types of exhausts.

[Modified by jg, 5:58 AM 3/5/2002]
Old 03-05-2002, 04:49 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK! (jg)

That's exactly what I was thinking too. If i'm not misatken, that chart is for a B20 motor, right? The characteristics of the B20 are totally different than the Type R motors, so the exhaust might not be much different for the B20, but what about the Type R?

Most of us have seen the "Great Header Test" on the Type R forum, and just from the different headers on the same motor there were pretty big differences on the peak whp, but mostly bigger differences in the power under the curve, which is what matters.

Look at the 2 mufflers and think about which "should" flow better. It "looks" like the Racing Medallion would be the better choice, but again I'm no expert here.

It's just that I would hate to drop in the Apex-i and then hit the dyno only to drop to 169-170whp, because I would always wonder if it was really the exhaust.

Has anyone ever tested the two back-to-back?

Old 03-05-2002, 05:16 AM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

I've been mulling over this for sometime myself. My B20vtec hatch is also gutted, and I have a cheesy Apexi Dunk(huge polished can and 4.5"tip) cat-back and test-pipe. It's pretty damn loud! I think i'm going to wind up with a custom 2.5" exhaust utilizing the 4" round 22" long Magnaflow muffler as a resonator, and an ES muffler(powdercoated black) at the back with a more subtle 3" angle-cut tip. I've heard the lnog Magnaflow really quiets things down. No personal experience though. Let me know how your goes.

[Modified by jg, 6:29 AM 3/5/2002]
Old 03-05-2002, 05:18 AM

Hehe I just saw that car Friday. I'm sure you know better than me but doesn't Grand Muffler in Marietta do mandrel bending? Maybe they suck I don't know but they did say they do IC piping when I went up there to get my cat put on. I don't know if Apexi makes an N-1 for your hatch but that is what I would get. Cheaper than a RM, should be the same flow, and muffler looks better IMO. Problem is you don't want to get hearing loss while you are driving. If you don't want to wear earplugs while you drive however (seriously, you could get hearing loss) you might could get exotic and try to get one of those exhaust valves that Apexi sells in Japan. They fit in your N-1 somewhere (not sure if there is any cutting involved) and have like a butterfly looking valve type thing that supposedly opens up according to how hard the exhaust is flowing, so that when you aren't hard on the throttle the exhaust is quieter. Only seen it at the Apexi Japan website, but I'm sure somebody somewhere can get it for you.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually have you checked out the DC Sports cat-back. That is what I am running on my '94 Si. Noticeable improvement in power (wish I had a dyno chart), and not a lot of noise. Plus you don't have the grapefruit thrower for a tip (unless you are into that style). The prices for all these exhausts you are checking out is around the same, so take a look at the DC Sports.
http://www.dcsports.com
Old 03-05-2002, 05:55 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK! (BrokenHead)

BrokenHead:

You saw my car or my friend's Red EK with the World Sport?

Anyways, I will check into that muffler place in Marietta, but my problem with piped systems is that little **** like the hangars and stuff start to rust way too quickly for my liking. My old Racing Medallion never had nay problems at all.

Yes apex-i makes the N1 for the 1992-1995 hatchbaxk, but it is toally out of the question because the piping goes below the rear sus and sits literally inches off the ground if the car is halfway lowered.

Price isn't a big concern for me because I get good deals working at a shop.

Noise could be taken care of by putting the baffle in the Racing Medallion, but that kills power too.

If i knew for SURE that the World Sport could flow exactly like the RD, I'd do it.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK! (Tom)

My friend, Trey has a World Sport. I like the look, and it's quiet as hell, but will it flow as goiod as my old Tanabe?
I think it flows pretty good for a stock JDM ITR motor w/ CTR cams.

I HAD a Fireball with no cat and a straight pipe. With no interior, I HATED IT!!!!

Loud exhausts are total rice.

Get the WS, you'll thank me later......

[Modified by Trey, 9:59 AM 3/5/2002]
Old 03-05-2002, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK! (Trey)

grand muffler in smyrna did mandrel bend piping on my boss's mitsu and my brother's civic. They do alot of this...you bring the muffler they do the rest. very nice job and was fairly in expensive. just thought I'd throw that out there....
Old 03-05-2002, 06:54 AM

You saw my car or my friend's Red EK with the World Sport?

Yes apex-i makes the N1 for the 1992-1995 hatchbaxk, but it is toally out of the question because the piping goes below the rear sus and sits literally inches off the ground if the car is halfway lowered.
I saw your silver car at the shop. I stopped by for 5 mins to check the place out.

Totally forgot about that issue. Sorry.

Wow, check that dyno with the WS on. I just personally don't like the way the WS looks, kinda early 90's to me , but it gets the job done the right way so then go for it.

[Modified by BrokenHead, 3:55 PM 3/5/2002]

[Modified by BrokenHead, 3:55 PM 3/5/2002]
Old 03-05-2002, 07:07 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK! (BrokenHead)

For those who don't know the problem with the n1 on a hatch. This is my car and it's a pain in the *** to drive sometimes with this exhaust.

Old 03-05-2002, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK! (mantic6t9)

couldn't you just have it rehung to sit like the stock exhaust??
Old 03-05-2002, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK! (greyeg)

This wasn't listed as an option but I will give you my "story".
I have a Mugen twin loop on my 95 CX. The motor is an LSVTEC with ITR(usdm) ex. manifold, stock b16 cams, and stock intake piping. I have a gsr mid-pipe with a 2"(outside diameter) extension in place of the cat. This is bolted straight up to my muffler. The exhaust not is almost completely stock sounding, except at higher rpm where it is slightly deeper. The car sounds just as quiet as it did when I had my stock 1.5 and its stock piping on the twin loop. I only plan on adding a header and K&N drop in filter. I assume its going to be just as quiet. Oh yeah, and with this setup, my vtec is almost un-noticable to the ears.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK!

I could've sworn the A'pex WS isn't a straight-thru design and that's how it's able to be so quiet. I'm not sure how much this will affect power on a highly modded motor, but it may bring out more of a difference between the WS and the TRM. The test in the dyno above are all straight-thru designs, and if you're concerned about one giving more power than the other, than the non-straight-thru design of the WS may need some consideration. HTH.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:32 AM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK! (WAFFLES)

do they make a Mugen Twin loop for 5th gen. hatches? ...or was this a custom cut and re-weld job?
Old 03-05-2002, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK! (jg)

mine is a genuine EG mugen twin loop
Old 03-05-2002, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK! (bhcvc)

I could've sworn the A'pex WS isn't a straight-thru design and that's how it's able to be so quiet.
You are right. The WS is not straight through. I have one sitting in my garage right now. I'll take a pic of the insude of the muffler when I get home.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:25 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK! (dwnthehatch)

Well I know that Trey's car puts out good whp, but I also still wonder if it could do more with a straight through design like the Tanabe RD or Fireball, etc.

the reason I am not considering the Fireball is because I have seen 2 people's muffler hangars break off. I will not pay $400+ for an exhaust that will fall apart soon.

I don't know about loud exhausts all being ricey - this is not the average straight pipe to a Bosal Brospeed tip JUST for loudness - this is a question of which exhaust will make more power.

I did not like my Tanabe RD JUST for the sound - I truly think it's one of the best, if not THE best 2 and 1/4 piped catbacks out there in terms of build quality and power output.

I'm sure some may even argue that no interior is "ricey," but I cannot let others' opinions on rice or not influence my decisions on this car.

I am asking for opinions, and I really do appreciate what you guys are saying. So does anyone know somebody that has had BOTH the exhausts in question here? I just see the quieter exhaust as possibly being more restrictive.

HOW do they achieve such a quiet sound without adding restricting baffles, packing, etc?

Quick Reply: Another Exhaust Topic. Input on Tanabe RD and Apex-i World Sport. LOOK!