Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another Crank Pulley Fell Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Crank Pulley Fell Off

Hello All, I did some searching prior to making a new thread but wasn't able to pin-point an answer to me question so I figured I'd take a leap of faith and see what you guys/gals think.

1997 Honda Civic EX 5-speed 165,000mi

The other day on the highway (does this story sound all to familiar??)....... Long story short, my crank pulley bolt rattled its way out. The timing belt was replaced approx 15K ago so I'm assuming whoever replaced it didn't torque it properly?

Anyways the crank end looks alright, the bolt threads are intact, and the notch for the key-way has a tiny bur on the outer end but I think I'll be alright on that. Planning on replacing the pulley (Dorman -unless you guys advise otherwise), OEM bolt, and OEM keyway.

But my now my question: When the pulley fell off, I continued driving (I was on my way to school). I parked it, pulled the pulley out from underneath on the side of the road, then drove all the way home (30mi) later that day.

It starts, runs, drives perfectly fine, except for having power steering/alternator/ect. obviously. But at idle, I hear this strange rattle/knock/vibration and it sounds like it might be from underneath the timing cover. Did I screw something up driving without the crank pulley attached? I know the car didn't jump time as it runs very smoothly at any RPM.

What do think it might be? I know I can get the pulley back on no problem, but I'm concerned that I may have caused more damage driving it. Opinions? Suggestions?
Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Another Crank Pulley Fell Off

The noise most likely sounds like your belt hitting on the timing cover since there was nothing there to hold the crank timing pulley on, so this was allowing it to ride closer to the cover.

Put your new pulley on torque it properly and for good measure put some lock tite on it ti should be good. I would be concerned if the noise was still there.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Trial User

Your thinking that the timing belt is rubbing on the inside of the cover? That sounds like a pretty good theory. It only makes the noise at idle.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how bad is the noise? could the motor possibly be drowning out the noise when not at idle possibly its still there or maybe you be bumping your techno too loud or something highmileagedude but my question is could the noise still be there but the fact that you are either revving it or driving it obscure you from hearing if the noise is still being made
Old 09-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll tell you exactly what that noise is. It's one of the two little belt guide washers that sit on either side of the timing belt drive behind the crankshaft pulley. It's #12 on the pic below.

When you removed the crankshaft pulley, you essentially left the outside guide washer with nothing holding it in place so it's in there rattling around. And, yea, you'll want to get the lower timing cover off, inspect the belt for damage, reinstall the guide washer (concave side facing out), and properly install and torque down the crank pulley. If you don't, it'll eventually chew up the timing belt and then you're going to have some bigger problems...
Old 09-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Trial User

fragmare - Thank you so much for the quick and accurate response! You are probably right.

Now I just gotta re-track down the FSM. I used to have it on my old comp. but it crashed.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Trial User

Do you by chance have one of those diagrams for the timing covers & such? Never worked on a timing belt before.....

But I have replaced an engine in a 4x4 S10 - NEVER AGAIN!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Trial User

Alright - I found the DIY Timing Belt thread and see what I'm getting into.

I was wondering if instead of removing the lower timing belt cover to inspect belt, could I remove the upper timing belt cover instead? I definetly don't want to half-A$$ the job. I know the potential damage a timing belt breaking can cause....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to remove the lower timing cover, I need to dig alot deeper while if I just remove the upper I can get away with pulling the valve cover (i need a new gasket anyway) and the upper cover. Would this be sufficient to see if I caused major damage?

Again, the vehicle is my budget daily driver, I donnot race or anything like that - but I would like to see her get to the 275,000 mark without problems. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can inspect the belt by simply removing the upper cover and turning the engine counterclockwise. If there's no damage, you should just be able to reinstall the new crank pulley without removing the lower timing cover. I'd recommend pulling the lower cover anyway, though, to check that guide washer out. If it's bent up, you'll want to grab another one from the junkyard or dealership. Majestic Honda sells them brand new for $4.17, if it turns out you need one. A junkyard would probably just give it to you.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Trial User

Well... I was being lazy all morning, but around 5pm I got to the wrenches. Got both the upper and lower timing belt covers off no problem - I followed the DIY timing belt replacement thread per the sticky above.

It seems that my belt is infact new (as the previous owner had said) and everything looks to be good. Whew...

The noise I was hearing appears to have been the lower timing belt crank pulley rubbing on the lower timing belt cover. I can see where the cover is worn from it rubbing. The only thing is that all I see is the gear - I don't see the outer washer (# 12 in the exploded view above). Could that have fallen off when I lost the crank pulley? Or is it possible that my engine differs slightly from that exploded view above?

All in all though, I think I'm in pretty good shape.

Now to figure out which belt goes where
Old 09-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Trial User

This is exactly what mine is. Do I not have an outer washer??
Old 09-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Trial User

I got it all figured out. I almost have all the parts I need rounded up. Waiting on a FedEx shipment which should be here tomorrow. I'm gonna try to take pictures and post so that I can hopefully help others who have had this same or similar issue.

Should be re-assembling fri, sat, and sunday - Gonna attempt a valve adjustment while I have it apart. At 166,000, I don't think its ever been done.