Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Annoying problem -- "clunk" when accel/deccel, and turning

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Annoying problem -- "clunk" when accel/deccel, and turning

I have a 92 H22 EG. And every time I am in a low gear or happen to accelerate, or decelerate, the starting point of accellerating and deccelerating I get a "clunk" noise that feels like it's coming from the front driver side. I can feel it on the chassis..

I thought maybe it was an axle, so I checked everything with the axle, and it looks just fine. No movement, or any cause of the "clunk"..

I also installed a new outer tie rod, had an alignment a few weeks ago, problem still there.

So I jacked up the car, put my hands at 3 and 9 o'clock positions, and there was no play. I put my hands at 12 and 6 o'clock, no play. Everything seems tight.

So last night, I had a friend turn the steering wheel with the car sitting still to make the noise, and I layed near the wheel and felt everything that might have to do with the "clunk".

The axle had no sign, but I put my hand on the tie rod and it feels like it's coming from the tie rod or behind the tie rod.

So I removed the outer tie rod, boot, and the inner tie rod. Upon inspection, all the teeth, tie rods look fine. Am I missing something?

I am looking at a helms, and troubleshooting to try and find out what the deal is. I've tried torquing bolts that may have came loose over time (such as subframe bolts, sway bar mounts)..

here is a diagram of the area I am in:

I can't think of what else it can be. Any help is greately appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Annoying problem -- "clunk" when accel/deccel, and turning (poison)

Sounds like you've got a worn rack bushing, or a broken rack mount. I've had this problem personally and it's very hard to find unless you've got it up on a lift staring up at it. Check all of the rack mounting hardware and the rubber bushing. My money would put it on being a loose rack.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Annoying problem -- "clunk" when accel/deccel, and turning (Froth)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Froth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like you've got a worn rack bushing, or a broken rack mount. I've had this problem personally and it's very hard to find unless you've got it up on a lift staring up at it. Check all of the rack mounting hardware and the rubber bushing. My money would put it on being a loose rack.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks I'll check that out..

Where would the rack bushing be?

I also forgot to mention that I have new upper and lower ball joints that are maybe 4 months old.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Annoying problem -- "clunk" when accel/deccel, and turning (poison)

The bushing in question is labeled as the "gearbox cushion" in that picture.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds to me like a loose motor mount. or a bad mount. my upper one is torn and my lorerone is torn both on driver side and im gettin the same noise. we have narrowed it down to the motor mounts.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (worpedteg)

ball joint (lower) or believe it or not it could just be the lug nuts being loose, prolly not it but possibility exists
Old 07-29-2006, 04:18 PM

Default Re: (2wheelhunter)

thanks guys for the input..

I have HASport mounts and the engine doesn't move at all, and it also makes the noise while sitting still, even with the car off when the car is on all four wheels.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:26 PM

Default Re: (poison)

Is it a clunk or a click?

I have the same problem I think but mines coming from the passenger side.

I've had my axles check and replaced. New mounts on my car and I get that noise haven't a clue what the problem is...
And now I have a thumping sound coming from back left wheel I believe... :/
Old 07-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Fiendvinny)

hey bro me and a couple other guys discussed this about 2 months ago. the conclusion we all finally came to was the fron lca bushing. the other guys checked and that was their problem, i havent checked mine yet but it makes since as i have swapped axels and checked all the ball joints and the steering stuff. so check those bushings.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Re: (Fiendvinny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fiendvinny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it a clunk or a click?

I have the same problem I think but mines coming from the passenger side.

I've had my axles check and replaced. New mounts on my car and I get that noise haven't a clue what the problem is...
And now I have a thumping sound coming from back left wheel I believe... :/</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, yeah it's an annoying pain in the ***. lol

It's a clunk. Just barely took it around the block and sure enough it's still there. I even got it to make the noise with the engine off just turning the wheel back and forth while my friend sat there looking all around the front driver wheel. Can't even pin-point the noise there, argh.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fiendvinny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hey bro me and a couple other guys discussed this about 2 months ago. the conclusion we all finally came to was the fron lca bushing. the other guys checked and that was their problem, i havent checked mine yet but it makes since as i have swapped axels and checked all the ball joints and the steering stuff. so check those bushings. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Did the bushing "appear" bad at all? Or did it "look" fine and you guys just replaced it to knock it out of the equation?

thanks guys. appreciate the help

cheers
Old 07-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (poison)

maybe a inner tie rod, mine some how got loose. Turn left and right when u turn right it make a clunk sound.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:34 AM

Default Re: (EvilPhu)

I'll have to trouble shoot more in the morning..

Any others have any suggestions?