Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

AMR vs PIC vs koni Race/GC

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMR vs PIC vs koni Race/GC

Been a long time since ive posted on here but iv been lurking for awhile.
I'm shopping for suspension on a recent EG project, Iv got everything bought and dialed in for the most part with the exception of the dampeners/Spring.
I was sold on MCS's but there just not in my budget at the moment so im looking for a cheaper alternative.
The car will almost never see the street. It's being built for nasa/scca sanctioned races as well as some occasional Drag(although not the primary focus).
Iv settled between 3 main choices, AMR, PIC, and koni race/GC.
Iv been searching high and low for as much info as i can between the 3 set-ups and haven't found anything to really hep me make my decision.

So has anyone used/experienced 2 or all of these choices?
Just trying to gain some knowledgeable opinions/input.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:56 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: AMR vs PIC vs koni Race/GC

Originally Posted by disordinate
Been a long time since ive posted on here but iv been lurking for awhile.
I'm shopping for suspension on a recent EG project, Iv got everything bought and dialed in for the most part with the exception of the dampeners/Spring.
I was sold on MCS's but there just not in my budget at the moment so im looking for a cheaper alternative.
The car will almost never see the street. It's being built for nasa/scca sanctioned races as well as some occasional Drag(although not the primary focus).
Iv settled between 3 main choices, AMR, PIC, and koni race/GC.
Iv been searching high and low for as much info as i can between the 3 set-ups and haven't found anything to really hep me make my decision.

So has anyone used/experienced 2 or all of these choices?
Just trying to gain some knowledgeable opinions/input.
Have you looked into vendors for PIC, and how well PIC supports their products? I was looking at them hard until I realized they have virtually no real vendors, and their site seems pretty flimsy. I know Chad Slag runs them, but man I didn't find a whole lot of other endorsements for them.

AMR? I have some on my 1990 Civic and they feel pretty ****. I bought them used, but there's zero indication they're blown. I reached out to Andy from AMR and he wasn't the warmest dude I've dealt with. I'm sure you can find reviews in his customer service.

Koni Race and custom GCs are tried and true. Tons of vendors, great support, etc. Of your three choices I'd go that route. I personally ran their OTS yellows in 425F/550R rates in my 2000lb. 92 CX for ten years including daily driving and auto-x. Konis aren't as sexy as modern 30 way adjustable full bodied coilovers, but they're still awesome. Definitely go shorter bodies.

I personally went with BC Racing Digressives for my 1994 hatch. Custom 12k/10k rates. Took them under three weeks to build and deliver them. I've got a buddy who road races all sorts of Hondas and on his recommendation I chose the BC. I'm blown away by them, but mine's a street car that I drive hard on curvy country roads near my house. BC does offer custom rates and other more hardcore dampers.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2018, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Check out Feal's road race spec 441's. Odi will custom everything to suit your car, based on your car (aero, tires, etc.). They are top on my list after I cage my car. They also use Swift springs, which are a great upgrade for any coilover.

Home | Feal Suspension, Inc. Race Proven Suspension Technology
Old 03-01-2018, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus one on BC Racing coilovers. They are on both my BMW F30 and My integra in off the shelf rates (Hopefully will be on my hatch one day in custom rates).
The BC's on my BMW have about 80k miles and 5 years on them and they are holding up fine (very comfortable and good handling).
The BC's on my Integra are still pretty new and 10k front/6k rear. They are decently comfortable for a daily driver and handle amazing (for a comfy DD at least).

The combined rebound/compression adjustment and independent ride height (does not effect shock stroke) / preload adjustments really wins me over for BC versus the honda-tech koolaid Koni/GC.
The fact that its cheaper and has proven to last on my bmw, is just icing on the cake.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:46 AM
Former Moderator

BC also offers Swift spring upgrades as well. For my case I chose the better dampers (DS/DR type over BR) with their BC springs as opposed to getting the lower model dampers + Swift springs.

BC Digressives with 44mm piston and 53mm shock body

Old 03-01-2018, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
Have you looked into vendors for PIC, and how well PIC supports their products? I was looking at them hard until I realized they have virtually no real vendors, and their site seems pretty flimsy. I know Chad Slag runs them, but man I didn't find a whole lot of other endorsements for them.
I'll gladly give PIC an endorsement but I do agree their distributorship is limited

I have had one small issue with my set in 10+ years, I had the new part in a day. He even helped swap out my lower rear mounts when I went from standard rear LCA to ITR style. (benefit of being local)
[I may still owe him a beer or two for that one]

OP: there is zero bad advice in this thread so far.

Last edited by Relic1; 03-01-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AMR? I have some on my 1990 Civic and they feel pretty ****. I bought them used, but there's zero indication they're blown. I reached out to Andy from AMR and he wasn't the warmest dude I've dealt with. I'm sure you can find reviews in his customer service.

Koni Race and custom GCs are tried and true. Tons of vendors, great support, etc. Of your three choices I'd go that route. I personally ran their OTS yellows in 425F/550R rates in my 2000lb. 92 CX for ten years including daily driving and auto-x. Konis aren't as sexy as modern 30 way adjustable full bodied coilovers, but they're still awesome. Definitely go shorter bodies.

I personally went with BC Racing Digressives for my 1994 hatch. Custom 12k/10k rates. Took them under three weeks to build and deliver them. I've got a buddy who road races all sorts of Hondas and on his recommendation I chose the BC. I'm blown away by them, but mine's a street car that I drive hard on curvy country roads near my house. BC does offer custom rates and other more hardcore dampers.

Good luck!
Your right PIC doesn't have a large distribution network and there site has been a bit stagnant lately. Made me wonder if they where still in business to be honest. But i have not heard anything bad about them and that there customer service was pretty decent. and for the price if they where a good reliable coilover then it was a high contender.

AMR looks like nice coilover and there are a decent amount of good reviews/people seem happy. but also just as many bad reviews. most of which seem to revolve around customer service as you mentioned.
You say they road shitty, how so?

On the BC coilover topic, I have read a little bit on those aswell. I dont know how true it is but i saw alot of comparisons with d2's and rumors they are even made in the same factory. So i am skeptical.

Originally Posted by jdblock
Check out Feal's road race spec 441's. Odi will custom everything to suit your car, based on your car (aero, tires, etc.). They are top on my list after I cage my car. They also use Swift springs, which are a great upgrade for any coilover.

Home Feal Suspension, Inc. Race Proven Suspension Technology
These are a new one to me, I'll give them a look.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Relic1
I'll gladly give PIC an endorsement but I do agree their distributorship is limited

I have had one small issue with my set in 10+ years, I had the new part in a day. He even helped swap out my lower rear mounts when I went from standard rear LCA to ITR style. (benefit of being local)
[I may still owe him a beer or two for that one]

OP: there is zero bad advice in this thread so far.
That's right along what i'v been seeing, That's great customer service right there.
How long have you been running them? Is your car tracked or primarily a street car?

My main focus is on performance over comfort, although id prefer to not rattle the car loose or be peeing blood from an overly harsh ride.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

From my understanding, they are all using the same off-the-shelf parts from a Taiwan coilover company. They order loose parts, and assemble in house. It's the valving inside that matters, oil and shim-stack is what makes the shock work.

If you look at them all, they look the same except the colors.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:28 AM
Former Moderator

AMR looks like nice coilover and there are a decent amount of good reviews/people seem happy. but also just as many bad reviews. most of which seem to revolve around customer service as you mentioned.
You say they road shitty, how so?
My AMRs are bouncy no matter the stiffness setting. I don't think they're valved well enough for the springs. I'm not paying $150.00/corner to have Andy take weeks to rebuild them.

the BC coilover topic, I have read a little bit on those aswell. I dont know how true it is but i saw alot of comparisons with d2's and rumors they are even made in the same factory. So i am skeptical.
Maybe most entry level coilovers ate all similar? I couldn't tell you. I can tell you the BC DS/DR are amazing thus far ride quality and handling wise on my custom rates. They are STIFF but NEVER bouncy.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://valexracing.com/collections/pic-coilovers

onesixmotorsport is the distributor for pic..
pic no longer produce bushing kit, that i know for certain because i tried. They are discontinued..
look like coilover are still available though.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

BC also offers Swift spring upgrades as well. For my case I chose the better dampers (DS/DR type over BR) with their BC springs as opposed to getting the lower model dampers + Swift springs.

BC Digressives with 44mm piston and 53mm shock body

No DR series for my em1, just the BR. I'm going to check them out when the time comes though.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:38 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by scottcraft
No DR series for my em1, just the BR. I'm going to check them out when the time comes though.
You can run EG/DC coilovers on your EM1. You'll just need little spacers or washers for the rear lower forks as EG/DC have wider bushing/fork than 96-00 Civics.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can run EG/DC coilovers on your EM1. You'll just need little spacers or washers for the rear lower forks as EG/DC have wider bushing/fork than 96-00 Civics.
That's great, thanks! I'll definitely try to get some of these then.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottcraft
http://bcracingwholesale.com/index.p...1996-2000.html

These should fit.

Last edited by djrockytharp; 03-05-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:01 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by djrockytharp
http://bcracingwholesale.com/index.php/shop-coilovers/bc-racing-dr-series-coilover-honda-civic-rear-eye-1996-2000.html

These should fit. For the em1.
Not sure why they specify rear eye? If it's stock EM1 you'll need fork type, not eye. Eye is if you run ITR style rear LCAs.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry double post. Yeah I'm wondering that too I want to buy some for my 99 hatch and would like to know if they fit.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by djrockytharp
Thanks!
Old 03-21-2018, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

That's right along what i'v been seeing, That's great customer service right there.
How long have you been running them? Is your car tracked or primarily a street car?

My main focus is on performance over comfort, although id prefer to not rattle the car loose or be peeing blood from an overly harsh ride.
Car was my daily driver when I installed them. It became a track only car two years later. (I've had them more than 10 years)
I had no problem taking the car on a 4 hour trip (without stops) I was happy to get out of the car, but not dead inside.
The ride is hard, but not harsh or bouncy. (I'm on 10k F&R)
On the track they are awesome, on the street they are tolerable. (which was my goal)

matching shock valving and spring rates is key.