Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Amplified Antenna Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amplified Antenna Upgrade

So i've been looking around online and it seems no one has done what im going to do next week.

I have a 93 Civic Hatch and i hate the look of the antenna when its all the way up... And even when it is all the way up its still not clear.

Im going to completly remove my stock antenna and in place put the block off plate (off course).

What im going to do is install an amplified antenna and put it somewhere really clean and out off the way. i should get better reception and i dont have that ugly antenna fighting with my roof rack

note: i dont listen to the radio much but when i want to i want it crytal clear.

My Question to everyone is has anyone known anyone thats done this and if so is an amplified antenna just plug and play? also how much better/worse is the reception.

the 2 antennas im debating on are:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd105.htm

or

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...b9e&gan=1#desc

thats it. Lemme know wassup.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Amplified Antenna Upgrade

thats a good idea. my radio doesnt get much reception. an antenna block off plate was already on there when i bought the car. tell me how it goes. i might do it too.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea i have a $600 indash and the radio reception in my 97 hatch is pitiful i guess its the stock antennas on hondas. The only time its better is when the car is sitting still other than that its pure static. I was looking at getting an aftermarket antenna for better reception.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the only time mine is better is if i hold the antenna while its extended out from in the car...

I'll let everyone know how it goes. just waiting for parts.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had an jvc avx44 in my 94 coupe and the radio was perfect... but now i own a alpine and a sedan, sounds like crap.. lol.. let us no, or else im getting the avx44 agian..
Old 11-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an amplified antenna, mounted in the roll bar thing on my del Sol (basically the same reception as what you would get mounting it anywhere on the underside of the roof). I get sub-par reception. The sound is clear enough to hear and understand, but it crackles often (just a slight bit to be annoying). It's a Metra antenna. If you were to mount it on glass though it would sound fine probably... I would recommend doing so at the top of your rear window, on the inside of the car.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
I have an amplified antenna, mounted in the roll bar thing on my del Sol (basically the same reception as what you would get mounting it anywhere on the underside of the roof). I get sub-par reception. The sound is clear enough to hear and understand, but it crackles often (just a slight bit to be annoying). It's a Metra antenna. If you were to mount it on glass though it would sound fine probably... I would recommend doing so at the top of your rear window, on the inside of the car.
depending on which antenna i get i was thinking of mounting it exaclty where you said. I want my radio to sound crystal clear so if i have to mount it in an obvious spot then untill i save up for a better antenna that will have to do.

Thanks for the input thou. glad to hear of others that have done it.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autointeg
i had an jvc avx44 in my 94 coupe and the radio was perfect... but now i own a alpine and a sedan, sounds like crap.. lol.. let us no, or else im getting the avx44 agian..
isnt the alpine suppose to be more "top of the line"?
Old 11-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

because i ordered my stuff at a bad time i dont thing i'll be getting any parts till next week (due to thanksgiving).. I cant believe i forgot about no work on thanksgiving. Oh well, It'll get here when it gets here.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know its been forever but im done procrastinating with this antenna thing. i finally got it done just now in the dark.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my stock antenna plug was hacked off in my hatch so i felt the easiest fix would be an amplified antennae. bought one from advance auto for 20 or $30, cant rememeber. either way, it works great and reception is quite good even on known weak stations for the area. i have mine mounted at the top of the windshield.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so here i go.

what i did:
i removed my broken oem antenna completely and replaced it with an oem block off plate.

it was dark and all i had was my iphone so i couldnt take that many pics.

To do this im pretty sure theres a write up for it so i wont explain how.

by the way this is the antenna i bought (or something that looked exactly like it) from pep boys:

http://www3.shopping.com/xPO-Metra_U...Fm_Car_Antenna

i have the optional center console installed so i had to remove the cover to access my deck.

behind the deck i found the ignition wire that turned on my deck using a circuit tester on a wire and turning the car on and off (should be a red one if you have an aftermarket deck) and i spliced the power wire from the antenna into it. you could connect it to any ignition source but dont connect it to a constant power source because it will drain your battery.

this is where i placed the antenna. behind the cluster bezel on top of the instrument cluster, wedged in between the foam on top of the a/c duct and the ceiling of the dashboard. it also has double sided tape that would help it stay.

for the ground i soldered the existing braided ground strap into a longer wire and routed it to a bolt on the chassis.

the red light on the antenna turns on when youve done everything right and viola! you have the option of radio!!!

you wont have to worry about the red light bothering you because once you put everything back together you wont see anything, you could also put a piece of electrical tape to block off the light once you find out everything works.

i hope this helps anyone.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wanted the antenna to be discreet and still have the same reception as if it were in the open. this spot is so perfect because the dash is plastic so it doesnt mess with reception and you dont need an antenna extension cable forcing you to pry apart panels and what not. also its not an eye sore everything still looks stock.

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
my stock antenna plug was hacked off in my hatch so i felt the easiest fix would be an amplified antennae. bought one from advance auto for 20 or $30, cant rememeber. either way, it works great and reception is quite good even on known weak stations for the area. i have mine mounted at the top of the windshield.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry for the long wait guys... a few weeks is ok but months!!! this was just ridiculous! i gotta stop procrastinating.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If anyone has a better antenna they would like to mention, please do so. The only station I care about works just fine but the others come in a little staticky
Old 05-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the antenna i have is very similar to that. works great and picks up all stations, even known weak ones for the area. although the area under the cluster cover does keep it hidden i have to imagine it doesn't help with reception. as i mentioned before i mounted mine at the top of the windshield where it gets great reception, and it doesn't bother me having it there. here's the only pic i have of the thing lol

and since i discovered the antenna is broken on the coupe as well it looks like i'll be picking up another one of these for that car as well.
Old 03-07-2023, 03:55 AM
Trial User

Did you ever find one that was satisfactory?