Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

am i just unlucky or what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am i just unlucky or what?

I had a gsr swap with a jackson supercharger on it about 2 years ago. My swap kept blowing head gaskets so i took it out and parted it out. I decided to build a ls/vtec with wiseco pistons, eagle rods, manley valves, and a turbo. I popped a head gasket within the first week. I pulled the head off and installed another b16 head to see if that was the problem and now i have a rod knocking in cylinder number three. Should i just give up and sell all of my **** or give it another try?
Everyone's thoughs would be appreciated.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:33 AM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

fix something up. 4 engines gone in a year is unlucky too
Old 09-02-2004, 10:36 AM

Default Re: (2FAST4U831)

I dont know if you're unlucky or just doing something wrong. Keep it up if you want but be sure to do the right work or figure out what you're doing wrong. This will keep the cost down.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:44 AM

Default Re: (Revolver)

I am very careful about what i do to my cars or motors and if i dont think i can handle it on my own i have several buddies who are very very good at motor builds. i just think its like bad karma or something. I am just not ment to have a car that will run fast and reliable no matter how much i spend on it. I am thinking of going with a R swap and the bottle and letting that be the end of it.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostaddiction)

You should fix it and install it in your hatchback.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:40 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (saleensolution)

are you sure you are building it right?
Old 09-02-2004, 04:24 PM

Default Re: (ABK)

Yes i am sure. Everything is and has been done to factory spec. I even use a toqure wrench on the valve cover nuts. I know what i am doing i just think i am having a stroke of bad luck. (again and again and again.)
Old 09-02-2004, 05:38 PM

you say your doing it right, but the motor is saying otherwise.

no offense but i believe the motor more.

maybe take it to an engine builder and have then check it out.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (racin-type)

Well i say otherwise cause I built the motor. No offense but i have built quite a few motors with no problems as a matter of a fact my car went 12.1 at 117 and i built it.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like your rolling with dough. maybe you should take your time in building these motors man. thats my opinion. not just slapping on parts hoping for the best
Old 09-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (jerbear!)

It's sounds like maybe your having problems with your block being out of range of acceptable. What I mean by that is the mating surface on the top of the block is bowing or is valleyed(sp? if even a word). The gaskets aren't just a coincidence. Something is not right. Take your block to a machine shop and have them check it properly.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:15 PM

Default Re: (hatchling37)

i had the block decked before i ever assembled the ls/vtec but that is not my problem now. I do not have a head gasket problem anymore now i have a rod knocking. I think i am gonna just set my car on fire. I am thinking of buying a new cobra mustang. JUST KIDDING. I do think something is seriously wrong though because nobody i know has this many problems. Gonna give it one more try. Tear it down and start all over again. Thanks for all of your opinions and not telling me to search.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:21 PM

are you buying used engines for the build ups??
a guy here at my shop went through 3 b16s before he got one that worked right.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:28 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (newb16image)

well it sounds like you don't pay attention to other factors. It's not just about torquing. You got to check main bores, and connecting rod bores, check the cylinders for out of round and taper, check the block for warpage and cracks(honda motors are aluminum along with a head, so if there is a slight warpage on it you are fucked), check the head for warpage and cracks. Recomend getting a complete valve job if you are building a motor.

You got to build right the first time so you don't end up in a pile of **** and have to spend money again to fix it.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:29 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostaddiction &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had the block decked before i ever assembled the ls/vtec but that is not my problem now. I do not have a head gasket problem anymore now i have a rod knocking. I think i am gonna just set my car on fire. I am thinking of buying a new cobra mustang. JUST KIDDING. I do think something is seriously wrong though because nobody i know has this many problems. Gonna give it one more try. Tear it down and start all over again. Thanks for all of your opinions and not telling me to search.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Take your motor to the machine shop and have them totaly rebiuld the bottom end, since it has to be super strong on LS vtec. HAve them use clevite bearings and arb rod bolts.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:44 PM

Default Re: (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Take your motor to the machine shop and have them totaly rebiuld the bottom end, since it has to be super strong on LS vtec. HAve them use clevite bearings and arb rod bolts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree...but its ARP fastners. It sounds like maybe your crankshaft wasnt perfect and it spun a bearing or something like that. Id always have a machine shop rebuild my bottom end cause they have all the right tools to make sure the clearance on everything is perfect. If you have a fairly new engine you might get away with out having it done at a shop.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MulletManRockStar)

everything has been put together by spec there has been no short cuts taken other than the fact that he used a used oil pump. i am not stupid when it comes to putting aa motor together that much i can promise you. my old car is prolly running faster on three cylinders than yours is on four. the only resean it was running on three cylinders was not because it was put together wrong but a was used boost controller kept boost spiking and melted my piston. the engine was to gether for three years wrode hard everyday and no prblems. and for the fact of everyone saying i just slaped it together is false i have a very good reputaion in my area i dont take short cuts "unless" the customer decided to but i also explaine that im not responsible for the fact that they dont want to spend the money on there car
Old 09-04-2004, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did anyone else notice that on both cars he was boosting? Man how much are you boosting and is it a OEM gasket? I bet you thats why you keep blowing your head gasket, put a thicker, copper one in there and you shouldnt have a problem.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:31 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saleensolution &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> my old car is prolly running faster on three cylinders than yours is on four. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats a good one my car "project car" wouldnt run on 4cyl...it needs 4 more cyl to run right...Anything could have happened.. More than likely your using some crappy parts or its human error in some way. I bet it was the crank shaft or rod bearings as said earlier if its got a rod knock. You probably torqued everything down right but I bet you didnt bring the engine block or crankshaft to a machine shop to make sure its in spec.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostaddiction &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I am very careful about what i do to my cars or motors and if i dont think i can handle it on my own i have several buddies who are very very good at motor builds. i just think its like bad karma or something. I am just not ment to have a car that will run fast and reliable no matter how much i spend on it. I am thinking of going with a R swap and the bottle and letting that be the end of it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Judging form the fact you have gone through so many engines perhaps your friends are not as good as they say they are....
Old 09-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KarbinFourteen)

dam you i dont know where all you mother ******* get your money to blow all these motors....im even lucky enough that i could afford a single cam.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (trooper0641)

Motors dont lie... people do... thats all i gotta say...

I know i could put a motor together... but i'm sure as hell not going to... sometimes u just have to realize you arent as good as u think sometimes!
Old 09-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMisGOOD)

i know i can thats what makes us different ive been trained by the best not some back street machanic
Old 09-04-2004, 12:58 PM

What pulleys are you running and how many pounds of boost?
Old 09-04-2004, 01:00 PM

ls/vtec usally dosent sound to be too stong from what iv read.

are you changing the head bolt

Quick Reply: am i just unlucky or what?