Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

am I going to need to replace the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default am I going to need to replace the clutch?

I went to launch the car but was at too high RPM. I really wanted to smoke the tires well I think I smoked the clutch. I took off slowly and banging gear, revved out all the way to high 3rd gear and it was raining out so I was thinking damn i didnt think i could spin in 3rd but it is wet out. I look back and dont see any smoke son of a bitch the tires arent spinning my clutch is probally done I let off and then I smell the awfull clutch burning smell. Well it smelled for a good distance. Someone said you probally just heated the clutch really bad and it needs to cool down, and I probally glazed it. I left the hood open and shut off for a long time and drove it real easy and slow home and it still had a faint smell. I did a hard core FAIL I should have known the car couldnt spin the tires like that. Am I going to need a new clutch now? FMyLife
Old 07-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: am I going to need to replace the clutch?

that's what you get for driving that way.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

YEAH DUDE SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO REPLACE IT...GO STAGE 2..
Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

more than likely you will
Old 07-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice, I know thats what i get for trying to do that. I heard something about driving it easy for a few hundred miles or so and it will be fine but it will need to be replaced sooner. I wanted to give the motor a beating before I swapped, well I should have had everything ready before I tried something stupid. Factory clutch at 133k miles. What is usually the replacement mileage for these motors? I know my friend just had to do his with less mileage, same car and motor and all.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does it slip when you drive it afterwards?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hill4589
does it slip when you drive it afterwards?
no it didnt rev up high or anything just slow driving after that. it felt softer i want to say though but it didnt rev up and then catch to go or anything. i'm just hoping the cooling down and slow driving it for a hundred miles or so will be fine. When I 1st started driving the car I didnt put it in neutral at stop lights I had the pedal pushed down and in 1st gear which is a FAIL but nobody ever told me how to drive a manual car and how I shouldnt do that. I did that for maybe 2 weeks before I asked someone riding in their car what they do and thats when i stopped the 1st gear at stops.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
I know my friend just had to do his with less mileage, same car and motor and all.
just depends how the car is driven. you could have a stock clutch last 2,000 miles or 200,000.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After 133k miles and you learning how to drive stick on it and driving it hard...I'd say the clutch has lived out it's lifetime.

My EM1's clutch doesn't seem to want to go away. I've done 4th gear launches, high RPM clutch drops, huge burn outs...EVERYTHING. I noticed that the clutch was getting a little soft and slipped when I slammed gears. So I started abusing it knowing it was on it's way out. Who cares? lol...it's still in the car today and I drive 100+ miles daily.

you probably don't NEED to replace it. You might WANT to replace it. If you're swapping it anyway, just wait for the swap. I'm sure the clutch will be fine. Wait for it to start slipping during daily driving. Then you know it's time to replace it.

My GSR's clutch went till 142k miles with abuse.

The clutches seem to last a long time.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B serious thanks for the info. I was hoping I wouldnt have to touch the motor or anything because I dont want to spend money on a d series and its not worth very much. I bought the car and I have a 3rd gear grind when going form high RPM in 2nd shifting to 3rd but I figured that out and I have to double clutch into it. I know the syncros probally need to be replaced then but I looked up the prices and the time to take out the motor and I said screw it i'll drive it like that until it wont go into gear or it grinds all the time. Kinda like my beater car, learning to drive a 5 speed on it in all situations, I can shift very smooth you dont feel the car jerk at all at upshifts or downshifts. I have down heal toe downshifts and rev matching. Now double clutching quickly. However I epic failed at launching the car 3k was a good spot but it didnt smoke the tires and I wanted to have a little fun and actually do a burnout so I revved it higher and messed up. I guess better on a motor that I dont really care about because its not staying in the car forever rather than the B18c I am putting in it eventually and building up.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I sold Hondas back in the day we had a lady trade in (have us dispose of) a 1982 civic, 468,000 miles on it, still the factory clutch from 82. But again this was an older lady who didn't beat it. Clutches are a consumable item, you abuse it, then it will be consumed quicker.

When are you doing your swap? It should be fine for now. But seriously, replacing it with a factory clutch can be done for cheap.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clutch seems fine today. Took it easy and later in the night started driving it revving it higher, no launches thats for sure and it doesnt feel like its slipping even in the higher rpm or a high gear and stabbing the gas it doesnt free rev. Had me real worried yesterday but I guess I over react and think that I did the worst possible thing and i'm going ot have to replace something. I'm ordering a B18c from Hmotors most likely after I return from vacation. How much can you sell or part out a D16Y8 for? Transmission isnt all that great I bought it with a 3rd gear grind but it shifts into it without problems just makes a little noise. But the VTEC head and all that stuff I assume its worth more parting it out in pieces rather than a whole?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You sure it's the clutch?

There's a road nearby that when I turn onto it when it's wet out and no cars are around I give it all I got sometimes for fun and I can spin tires all the way to 55MPH, and that's just on a Z6 with I/H/E. It being wet outside really makes a big difference. You won't necessarily see marks in the road or smoke if you're spinning tires on wet asphalt.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:29 AM
New User

silly