Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

all motor vs. forced induction

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all motor vs. forced induction

What are your thoughts on all motor vs. forced induction in 92-95 hatches?
Old 04-30-2002, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (93VTEChatch)

eeeheehhe

Flame suit activated!!!!

all systems are a go, and counting down to lock!
Old 04-30-2002, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (SuperDragII)

dude dont even start this
lock this **** now. this is just gonna bea waste of bandwith ..u know how rowdy this **** is gonna get,
Old 04-30-2002, 09:49 PM

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (SuperDragII)

eeeheehhe

Flame suit activated!!!!

all systems are a go, and counting down to lock!
O God, hides under desk only to peak out to see the action!
Old 05-01-2002, 02:55 AM

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (Ares81883)

somebody fockin find him and his car and blow them up please !
Old 05-01-2002, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (Electron Blue)

my lord...if you have to ask....
Old 05-01-2002, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-01-2002, 04:05 AM

What are your thoughts on all motor vs. forced induction in 92-95 hatches?
As you can gather, people either hate it or love it, and never the twain shall meet.

Forced induction on a non-forced induction designed engine comes with all sorts of interesting nuances.

My $0.02:
Turbo is the best way to get super power. For drag applications, it's the fastest way to go fast. Turbo lag can be a problem, and is not best suited for road racing/daily application, but done well, works well.

Supercharging is somewhat of a compromise. It doesn't produce the most power, but it is a reasonable way to get SOME power, and it's much more usable power. Some people say that kits like the Jackson Racing aren't worth the cost for the power, and that it would be better spent on upgrading the engine. Since I have one , I say it's forking great.

All motor is a great way to leave durability intact and not get all the problems of super/turbo charging. It can be just as expensive or frustrating as forced induction, but ALWAYS produces usable power for daily driving and road courses (unless you screw it up). It requires a LOT more wrench time, and isn't just as easy as "slapping on a turbo" and is a lot more difficult to reverse if you want to go back.

Anyway.

Hope the flames don't start.

Shawn
Old 05-01-2002, 05:27 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cheapest BANG for the buck, go nitrous.

Old 05-01-2002, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (shawnhayes)

I agree w/Hayes. Turbo cars kick ***, they're so much fun to drive and feel the crazy power. I've driven alot of different Hybrid's with turbo's, most of those I've tuned Vtec/fuel controllers, trying to find even more power. But on the other hand, I would never purchase a turbo set up for my car, there's a lot that goes with it, and I don't want to deal w/the problems. I do a lot of freeway racing, and I usually end up running the hell out of my car for extended amounts of time, and I know for a fact that a turbo set up would die on me. It all depends on what kind of performance you're in search of. I prefer an all motor set up, but I give props to turbo guys also.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:21 PM

somebody fockin find him and his car and blow them up please !
chill out man!
Old 05-01-2002, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (Mista Bone)

always on tap power is your FRIEND !
Old 05-01-2002, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (hybrider93)

All motor is a great way to leave durability intact
hahaha you sure, i seem to remember a certain 13second N/A Prelude that hasnt had a working motor for some time now

im planning on going FI
Old 05-01-2002, 02:02 PM
New User

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (FifthGearOnline)

All motor is a great way to leave durability intact

hahaha you sure, i seem to remember a certain 13second N/A Prelude that hasnt had a working motor for some time now

im planning on going FI

no ****, and for the record........pulling say, 200+ hsp to the wheels out of a b series motor N/A is in no way durable. not for daily driving.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:49 PM

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (jinxproof99)

all motor..
Old 05-07-2002, 01:35 PM
New User

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (grinched)

i would rather go allmotor
Old 05-07-2002, 02:20 PM
New User

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (HaUTSaauce)

You forgot to include the military secret hydrofusion engine applications. That would settle the topic for sheezy.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:18 PM
New User

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (C-man)

Well here's my personal opinion...

All motor is awesome, it's alot easier to make it more reliable than boost, you break parts alot less, you usually get out of the whole faster...But here's the thing, the only way I'll will go all motor or turbo on a car is all out. I won't have a moderate set-up in either! My ultimate goal with either is to have a sick amount of power 250's all motor, or 500's on boost. I just can't settle for a regular old setup,

A t3/t4 turbo, with greddy intercooler, pistons and rods, and hondata is no good for me.

I need the 62-1 p-trim, with the spearco air-to-water, fully sleeved 2 liter block, on speedpro EM. That's just me, It's gotta be that way.

So...money comes into the whole deal, if you can get a sick all motor set-up you can make approximately 250whp, that's with stand alone, ITB's, and just about everything else you can throw to suck more air...That's gonna be good for mid to low 11's in my 1950lb hatch. A all motor hatch with 250whp on 24.5" slicks will be a monster out of the hole. But mph's will be weak, the car will be dead reliable and you'll be able to tell people with 350hp turbo civics that you just spanked them all motor, but the problem is I also street race. Whether you approve or not, I do go out to the middle of no where, in the countryside and go to the illegal drags that we have. And you don't always race out of the whole, or just to the end of the quarter mile. Sometimes you race rolling and top-end...that's where a boosted car will eat you every time...A) cus they are gripping B) cus they have more hp and torque

So mid 11's, reliable, all motor, whooping turbo cars drag but not expressway racing. You can autocross,road race, drag. Around 8,000-10,000 total motor cost.

Now Turbo...This will always make more power, no doubt. A 85mm GSR block with an LS crank will displace 2020cc's and when forcefed 25psi of supercooled air it won't have a problem making in excess of 450whp with just boost. Now you have alot more problems and space for mistakes but you also have greater results. I don't know if any of the n/a guys have ever been in a properly built and tuned turbo car. I was always die hard all motor, even after being in a 270whp civic, I still had the want to run all motor...It wasn't until Iwent for a ride in an Si that was fully built, with a big turbo, big intercooler, lots of boost, and haltech. I was chilling the front seat going for my first ride...As he went up in 2nd hear I heard the turbo spool @ around 5000rpm's and I felt it pull me into my seat pretty hard, I was stairing at the tach and at the boost guage next to it, I almost lost my breath when I saw the tach pass 6000 and the boost needle flew past 20lbs and kept going...The tach FLEW INSTANTLY to 9500rpm and hit the soft touch rev limiter...the driver was MELTING THE 215 DRAG RADIALS OFF THE RIMS!! He was letting on and off trying to gain speed before shifting third, but traction was a precious commodity that was not available, even though there was smoke billowing from the front tires I was still pinned to the seat.

As he shifted thru the gears and got to the top of 4th gear in about 12 seconds you could still see faint traces of smoke...he was spinning tires @ 100+mph! I couldn't move. It was scary. I had been in 7psi SC stang's, 215hp all motor hatches, and nothing had ever felt like this before except for a ride in a 700hp Supra..but this was a Civic, and it would have given that Supra a run for it's money.....

So the guy lets off and puts it in 5th and we slow down to normal speeds..I couldn't really speak, so that's when a 00' Yellow Cobra that we know is on nitrous comes next to us and revs..I guess he hadn't seen us dip cus he was trying pretty hard, we were on the expressway, my friend dropped it in 4th and floored it, the Cobra pulled pretty hard until we passsed 5000 and the boost built to about 8psi, then we pulled next to him, when it hit 6000 and 24lhs came online we instantly put like 10 cars on him, and then another 15 thru the middle of 5th. He turned off before we ever got next to him...

So from there, this is all I could think off, his air intake temps would be alot less if he was running an air-to-water intercooler with ice water, he would spool at 3500rpm is he had a 50shot wet to help spool the turbo, he would have more horsepower with a 2.0L motor as opposed to his stroked b16, and last but not least..that motor could go in my 2000lb hatch!! I couldn't imagine what the results would be like... But he spent like 14,000 on just the motor. I would spend about 1800 because I would want speedpro, a bigger turbo, nitrous, air-to-water, a bigger IM, stuff like that...

So turbo...SICK POWER! you can scare almost anyone to near death, you can pretty much race anyone anything.. A fully boosted hatch is gonna be a 10 second car with mid 9 second mph's just because it's chassis will never keep up with the power. You can race any bike, porsche, supra, twin turbo viper, nitroused z06, w/e you want, you'll own it pretty much...But it will cost an arm and a leg, lots of headaches and will probably not be as reliable..ok that was alot of writing..

Old 05-07-2002, 03:35 PM
New User

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (MaxBoost)

To the above post how the hell could a turbo civic beat a TWIN TURBO Viper? That just doesnt make sense to me at all, except maybe at the start.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:58 PM
New User

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (samdawgsol)

Well, the Hennesy Venom 800 is twin turbo and run's mid-low 10's, it's not impossible for a street driven hatch to run that time, especially with the setup described above. It wouldn't be an impossible race. Obviously theyre are faster cars and bikes on the street, but a 500hp 2000lb hatch is a SICK machine.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:07 PM

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (MaxBoost)

Nice point Maxboost...
It comes down to what YOU truely want to do to your car. It is your money.
Spend it wisely..
Old 05-07-2002, 05:26 PM

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (Mista Bone)

And alot of it

But really spend your **** on what you want if you wanna know what's better their is no anwser
Old 05-07-2002, 05:40 PM
New User

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (Mrfirefox)

Fast? Cheap?

92vx $1000
99b18c1 complete swap and setup $1750 (junkyard, came with everything)
ACT clutch $375
13" Lenso's with 24.5" slicks $525 used
NOS direct port kit $410 used, came with guages and warmer
H&R race springs $145
Airotex (or something like that) fuel pump $95
JDM DC Header (open) $275
Gutted to metal, no bumper supports, no interior, gutted under dash..
11.98 @ 118mph
on c16, 100shot

11's for less than $5000.00, pretty reliable too, just be conservative with the nitrous...

BTW: this isn't my setup, it's just someone I know
Old 05-07-2002, 05:49 PM

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (Mrfirefox)

nice post maxboost but I still don't know what do to. I could either get my whole head done and rev to like 9500 rpm or save a little more money and get a drag 3 kit. And after that do internals and really boost a lot. I just don't know what to do. and reliability is a big deal to me.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:46 PM
New User

Default Re: all motor vs. forced induction (TruePlayaz114)

Next thursday go out to La Carreta on 87th and Bird and we can meet each other...email me if you want...m3guy01@hotmail.com

Quick Reply: all motor vs. forced induction