Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

all gsr civic guys.....question about vtec solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all gsr civic guys.....question about vtec solenoid?

ever since i have completed the gsr swap into my 00 civic...vtec no longer seems to engage hard at all. i think i know the problem but need help from all you h-t guys. the guy who did the swap for me replaced the gsr solenoid with the b16 solenoid because he said the gsr would not hook up correctly to the si harness? so two questions could this be the problem? and if so is it possible to wire the gsr solenoid to work with the si harness? thanks in advance
Old 12-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all gsr civic guys.....question about vtec solenoid? (cmillertime05)

well for one im not 100 percent on this but i have had a gsr in my 92 honda civic si hatchback that had the single cam vtec motor in it when i swapped in the b18c in the connector worked perfectly.... now i have a 2000 si and the connector and the soleniod are the exact same thing... i think he lied to you also take off the spool soleniod and check gasket and filter because those have a problem with leaks and make sure the filter doesnt have any debris in it if anything buy the filter/gasket (it comes as one piece) from honda for less than 20 bucks but ya talk to that guy because i think he lied to you...
Old 12-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all gsr civic guys.....question about vtec solenoid? (Unluckyhonda)

wow...this guy has been my friend and mechanic for awhile now but he just told me the connector was different but you are sayin they are the exact same. hmm ok then well i took the solenoid off, the three bolts and yeah i could not see a filter....just two holes where the oil comes out. it is really frustrating me but thanks for the help
Old 12-03-2006, 11:22 AM

i think your mechanic is right cause when i helped my bro with his gsr swap we had to cut the connector off the d motor and solder it on to plug to the harness
Old 12-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all gsr civic guys.....question about vtec solenoid? (cmillertime05)

wow are you serious there should definatly be a filter/gasket on there man its made of rubber and im suprised it hasnt leaked... but ya li did the swap myself on my 1992 si hatch it has the exact same connector as the 2000 si and the gsr so idk what he was talking about... hope you have some luck but definatly get the gasket and prolly get your gsr solenoid back because well it came with the car and its YOURS!!! haha talk to you later man.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VTEC either engages or it doesn't. It's a binary, on/off system. A problem with your solenoid can cause VTEC not to function, but it won't affect how "hard" VTEC engages.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all gsr civic guys.....question about vtec solenoid? (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">VTEC either engages or it doesn't. It's a binary, on/off system. A problem with your solenoid can cause VTEC not to function, but it won't affect how "hard" VTEC engages. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so are you saying that possibly it could have to do with having the b16 solenoid and not the gsr? i know exactly what you are saying about the binary part.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cmillertime05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so are you saying that possibly it could have to do with having the b16 solenoid and not the gsr? i know exactly what you are saying about the binary part.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I'm saying that if VTEC is working, it doesn't matter what solenoid you're using, as one will not make VTEC engage "harder" than another.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all gsr civic guys.....question about vtec solenoid? (Padawan)

oh right so then there is nothin different with say the wiring or anything of the solenoid?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:59 PM

VTEC in a GSR is kinda weak anyway...
Old 12-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Azn Kenny)

bump for throwin a cel 22....this explain anything better?
Old 12-05-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (cmillertime05)

i think your v-tec is not working and your hearing the IAB's.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDMej1)

danget i went blank...iab's?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:02 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think your v-tec is not working and your hearing the IAB's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i had code 22 in my Del sol vtec... i had to replace the vtec pressure switch cost like 70$ and like 1mins to replace....
Old 12-06-2006, 04:13 AM

Default Re: all gsr civic guys.....question about vtec solenoid? (BoiDucky)

IAB's is the secondary butterflys and runners in a GSR intake manifold. in laymans terms , when you hit 5750 rpm's , theres a solenoid just like your vtec solenoid , that opens up secondary passages in your intake manifold so your engine can breathe more air.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all gsr civic guys.....question about vtec solenoid? (BoiDucky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoiDucky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had code 22 in my Del sol vtec... i had to replace the vtec pressure switch cost like 70$ and like 1mins to replace.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok well im thinkin that may be it and i can pay 70 bucks no big deal...where exactly is it ans what is it? its worth a shot...also i changed over to the skunk 2 manifold and so no secondaries now
Old 12-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like Padawan said, it's either on or it's off, engaged or not. It can't be "engaging weakly" or something to that effect.

I have to agree with USDMej1 in that you're probably just feeling the IAB's kick on and aren't actually feeling any VTEC. IAB's are the secondary butterfly. You said you're throwing code 22. Code 22 is the VTEC pressure switch and IF your car is throwing that CEL due to VTEC, your VTEC <u>WILL NOT</u> work. Problems with the VTEC immediately make the ECU NOT engage the VTEC under any condtions.

You're probably simply feeling the IAB's, the VTEC isn't working. Change the pressure switch, reset your ECU, and see what happens from there.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like Padawan said, it's either on or it's off, engaged or not. It can't be "engaging weakly" or something to that effect.

I have to agree with USDMej1 in that you're probably just feeling the IAB's kick on and aren't actually feeling any VTEC. IAB's are the secondary butterfly. You said you're throwing code 22. Code 22 is the VTEC pressure switch and IF your car is throwing that CEL due to VTEC, your VTEC <u>WILL NOT</u> work. Problems with the VTEC immediately make the ECU NOT engage the VTEC under any condtions.

You're probably simply feeling the IAB's, the VTEC isn't working. Change the pressure switch, reset your ECU, and see what happens from there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey man thanks for all the info. like i said im using the skunk 2 mani now so no secondaries....but where exactly is the switch and what does it look like?
Old 12-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i checked some forums, talked to my mechanic etc. the motor is obd2 did not have pressure switch to begin with so used switch off old b16 motor and also solenoid.... now running a obd1 ecu but also have obd2 stock si ecu.... i was reading where it said the switch had to be wired for diff ecus so does that mean to run the obd1 ecu i need to change the pin location? this is gettin so frustrating!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cmillertime05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i checked some forums, talked to my mechanic etc. the motor is obd2 did not have pressure switch to begin with so used switch off old b16 motor and also solenoid.... now running a obd1 ecu but also have obd2 stock si ecu.... i was reading where it said the switch had to be wired for diff ecus so does that mean to run the obd1 ecu i need to change the pin location? this is gettin so frustrating!</TD></TR></TABLE>

JDM motors don't have the VTEC oil pressure switch. Regarding the solenoid clip, it will either fit, or the clip can be depinned and the leads can be stuck into another clip. MUCH BETTER than cutting and soldering a new clip on. Anyway, that's besides the point...

If you're running a USDM ECU that has VTEC control, it's going to look for a VTEC oil pressure sensor/switch on the engine (which is to the left of the head, up at the top, near the little cylinder looking thing which is the VTEC solenoid). If one is not present or hooked up, you will get a CEL and no VTEC.

If you're running a JDM ECU that has VTEC control, screw the oil pressure switch since the ECU does not look for it.

With either a JDM or USDM ECU, the pins for VTEC will be in a different spot based on whether its OBD1, OBD2a, or OBD2b. When switching ECUs, you need to have the appropriate conversion harness that will reroute all the pins to their appropriate locations.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EKcivicEX)

ok guys i think i have ALMOST got this worked out. i was reading in some of the archives yesterday and saw where many people said they just take the pressure switch wire and splice it to the solenoid and ground the other...so, i tried that today and sure enough no cel code....so im thinking that the switch is bad? and possibly solenoid too? because there is still no vtec just the mid range power of a gsr like everyone has been saying.... so more feedback is greatly appreciated and thanks to all so far
Old 12-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cmillertime05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok guys i think i have ALMOST got this worked out. i was reading in some of the archives yesterday and saw where many people said they just take the pressure switch wire and splice it to the solenoid and ground the other...so, i tried that today and sure enough no cel code....so im thinking that the switch is bad? and possibly solenoid too? because there is still no vtec just the mid range power of a gsr like everyone has been saying.... so more feedback is greatly appreciated and thanks to all so far </TD></TR></TABLE>

All splicing the wire did was hook it up to a signal that was within it's normal range of reading so the CEL went away. That probably means your oil pressure switch is bad. If your solenoid was bad, that alone would also throw a CEL. So no CEL means your solenoid should be fine. How are you determining that crossover is not occurring? Just by "not feeling it?"
Old 12-10-2006, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EKcivicEX)

OK GUYS.....so everything is fixed now and i feel like a real *expletive* but come to find out i forgot to flip the throttle pulley back over going from gsr manifold to skunk 2 manifold... meaning that full throttle was only opening the throttle body a quarter of the way and of course the car felt very weak. so changed it out friday night and got everything hooked back up right and i must say i am very impressed with the motor now and vtec is coming on so thanks to all for your support and feedback
Old 12-10-2006, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cmillertime05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK GUYS.....so everything is fixed now and i feel like a real *expletive* but come to find out i forgot to flip the throttle pulley back over going from gsr manifold to skunk 2 manifold... meaning that full throttle was only opening the throttle body a quarter of the way and of course the car felt very weak. so changed it out friday night and got everything hooked back up right and i must say i am very impressed with the motor now and vtec is coming on so thanks to all for your support and feedback </TD></TR></TABLE>

"whoops...."
Old 12-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

"whoops...."</TD></TR></TABLE>
lol yes i know...live and learn i reckon. oh well its coming off again soon because i ordered a new bdl throttle body last night

Quick Reply: all gsr civic guys.....question about vtec solenoid?