Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

AirDynamic/MMR Racing Seat Write-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AirDynamic/MMR Racing Seat Write-up

As promised, here is my writeup for the drivers side "Axe" racing seat I ordered from airdynamicracing.com. I also purchased some DarkStar seat brackets from MMRusa.com

Price
*The seat was cheap! $119 for a gray driver seat was what I purchased, plus $10 for universal sliders (Which I didn't need), and $60 shipping.

*The brackets were pricey at $104 shipped.

Total money spent: $293

Customer Service
Both mmr and airdynamic were a pain to work with. I ordered my seat in early August and I just got it installed on Oct 15th due to waiting for parts.

Both companies were nice on the phone, but they seem to lie about when the product was shipped everytime you call. Airdynamic even lost my order and claimed they sent it to the wrong place. When the seat finally arrived at my door two weeks late, it had someone elses name on the shipping label.

I spoke to Greg, Troy, Terri, Perry at airdynamic and wasn't getting anywhere until I spoke to "James" the sales manager at extension x116 who finally gave me a UPS tracking number after tracking the order back to my credit card (Which they charge immediately whether you receive your product or not).

So now that I have my seat, I need some mounting brackets for which I turned to MMRusa. I ordered a Darkstar bracket kit on 9/6 for which the website states a 4 week delivery turnaround time. When I called them on the week of 9/27, they told me it was shipped and due to arrive on the 29th. I called them back on Oct 6th and they said that it was just shipped and I should get it on 10/14. Over a week late, I finally got the bracket kit on 10/14.

Quality and Fitment
Aside from needing to punch bolt holes through the fabric in the bottom, I had no problems with the Axe seat.

The DarkStar brackets needed alot of drilling and cutting to get them to fit. They came with a mounting bracket AND sliders so I discarded the sliders I got from airdynamic.

The brackets come with 3 mounting holes for different seat mounting heights. You're going to want to use the lowest mount unless you want to be sitting higher than stock or have a VERY deep bucket in the seat you bought. At the lowest mount point, the sliders won't fit on the mounting bracket, so it's angle grinder to the rescue! I had to cut both the right rear bracket to slider mount point, AND the right front bracket to slider mount point to make it all fit. I had to cut the right front mount point, because you won't be able to get the chassis bolt through the hole unless you cut the first hole of the slider to bracket mount off.

Also, the slider mounting holes are the incorrect distance apart to fit the seat, so I needed to drill them out large enough to get the bolts lined up.

One nice thing about the DarkStar brackets is the seat belt mounting tab, which I used to mount my factory seat belt to the side of the bracket. Unfortunely, the mounting angle DarkStar chose is not the best, so getting your seat belt on requires some manuvering around the thigh bolster of the seat.

Stock seat -vs- Airdynamic
The stock seat + bracket weighs in at 30lbs, while the Airdynamic seat + DS bracket weighs 42lbs.

The gray airdynamic seat isn't really that noticeable and blends with the interior as you look though the window, which was exactly the look I was going for.

The seat features much stiffer foam than stock, and holds you in place much better while cornering. My only gripe is that I wish the thigh bolster would bend more on the right side so I could move my leg to the gas pedal easier.

Conclusion
A decent reclinable racing seat for under $300 with everything you need to install it right into your car included in the price. (I can deal with the 12lb weight increase, but I don't think I would buy two of them to double the weight penalty)

If you're willing to wait 1-2 months for delivery, willing to cut/drill the parts to get them to fit, and willing to deal with incompetent sales reps, then this is the deal for you!

Modified by hondapwr at 3:38 AM 10/16/2003
Old 10-16-2003, 05:41 PM

Default Re: AirDynamic/MMR Racing Seat Write-up (hondapwr)

I got in my car today, and as I was driving down the road I pushed back in my seat to get comfortable when I heard a pop. Then the seat got kind of springy, so that when I stepped on the gas the seat would recline a bit then bounce forward when I let off the gas.

After taking the reclining mechanism cover off I found that all three 14mm bolts were loose. I tightened them up, and the problem was solved. (Slide a wrench up under the fabric to get the bolt closest to the headrest, so you don't damage the fabric)
Old 10-16-2003, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thats a pretty cool looking seat, lets hope it doesn't fade or anything

-kenny
Old 10-16-2003, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AirDynamic/MMR Racing Seat Write-up (Trixiem)

i was just looking at them seats today! what type of material is it covered in? does your *** hurt after sitting in them quicker that stock? yea.. and the best question what was the reason for delivery delays?
Old 10-16-2003, 06:17 PM
HAnda-Tech Member

Default Re: AirDynamic/MMR Racing Seat Write-up (shaun311)

wow air dynamic eh?

they are located 10 mins away, this means i can just go up to them and purchase them without paying for shipping and i wont have to wait 1 month for it....
Old 10-16-2003, 06:44 PM

Default Re: AirDynamic/MMR Racing Seat Write-up (B18C_DC2)

links?
Old 10-16-2003, 06:47 PM
HAnda-Tech Member

Default Re: AirDynamic/MMR Racing Seat Write-up (HybridRacer)

http://airdynamicracing.com
Old 10-16-2003, 06:52 PM

nice seat
Old 10-16-2003, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks great... seams like a huge improvement over the stock. hoping it will last a while. what type of fabric is it???
Old 10-16-2003, 07:00 PM

how long do you think shipping will take?

edit:
Old 10-17-2003, 10:03 AM

Recliner still too springy
I think something is permanently broken in the recliner, or another bolt is loose that I can't get to. The seat is still fairly springy, which gets annoying especially when you rest your head on it while driving.

Driving Comfort
The seat gets uncomfortable after driving for awhile. The thigh bolsters are too high and the shoulder bolsters are too small and unsupportive.

Fabric
Alot of you have asked about the fabric. It's a very thin light gray material with tiny bumps to make it rough to the touch. I just found out today that it shows dirt very easily, and rips/wears easily.

Seat mods
Because the seat fabric looks worse each day and because it's uncomfortable to sit in for long trips, I'm probably going to cut and weld the frame and re-upholster it.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow... they def sound like peices of ****.... just got them after all that time and they are already falling apart. im guessing you wished you spent the extra what, 150 ea and got betters ones
Old 10-17-2003, 11:45 AM

A totally unbiased opinion on something you spent $300 on........YOU SIR should be revered and admired by everyone
Old 10-22-2003, 01:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shaun311 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow... they def sound like peices of ****.... just got them after all that time and they are already falling apart. im guessing you wished you spent the extra what, 150 ea and got betters ones</TD></TR></TABLE>

I saw some Recaro's at the local speed shop today, and for a second wished I spent the extra $150 on a better seat. But now I have a seat modification project to work on. After I cut and bend the seat to better fit my body, I'll hopefully have a better seat than the Recaro. The "you get what you pay for" slogan isn't always true with car parts, but in this case it describes the scenario perfectly.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great write up and report!

Old 10-22-2003, 02:28 PM

i like that color. but do you know what other colors are offered besides that one?
Old 10-29-2003, 07:31 PM

I cut and bent the tube steel for the thigh bolster and had it mig welded tonight. It looks like it'll work well.

I took a look at where the recliner is connected to the bas by two bolts. It looks like there's a hairline fracture causing the springiness in the back support. I haven't decided whether I want to mig weld that, or weld plate steel around it. The crack was caused by both poor workmanship and bad design. I'll post another update when the repairs are finished.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:56 PM

Default Re: AirDynamic/MMR Racing Seat REPAIRS

I should have used extra plate steel instead of just rewelding the frame. After I got everything back in my car, the recliner broke again.

I now play to cut plate steel from the un-used sliders to weld onto the side of the seat base.

Here's a pic of the weld job from the afternoon that didn't hold.

On a side note, I bought a passenger seat from a 93 Civic coupe for $40 that seemed to have better kidney bolsters than the stock 96 seat. All you need to do, to make it fit is swap the seatbelt and left slider. The older sliders sit 1/4inch lower so it makes it a little crooked, but not noticeable.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:30 PM

Default Re: AirDynamic/MMR Racing Seat REPAIRS (hondapwr)

Update: Got the plate steel in place and it hasn't broken since.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:30 PM
MEAT PATTY

Default Re: AirDynamic/MMR Racing Seat REPAIRS (hondapwr)

Well the seat does look nice, but I'm not about to add more weight to my car. And you said they were uncomfortable after long trips, not for me but good for you.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:35 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: AirDynamic/MMR Racing Seat REPAIRS (goforbroke)

you get what you pay for
Old 03-18-2004, 07:38 PM

Very nice unbiased review! Two thumbs up

Thanks for the information, I know it'll come in handy once and if I decide to shop around for seats.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:40 PM

damn, sounds like you had lots of problems with going the cheap route. Sometimes it's worth the price in paying more to get a reputable seller, and reliable product.

good writeup anyways.