Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

After market steering wheels& cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market steering wheels& cruise control

I am considering putting an after market steering wheel on my car, to increase the aesthetic of the interior, and I had racing wheels on my previous cars and liked the feel. but have somewhat grown accustomed to using cruise control. Has anyone modified their system to use an after market steering wheel and yet still use cruise control?

I haven't found much on the topic, and am considering reading into how the system works and the wiring etc to make a modification myself, but I'm no electrical or wiring guru.

I might have to weigh my options on my desire for comfort on the freeway vs the look and feel of the vehicle.

thanks
Old 02-03-2014, 10:16 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: After market steering wheels& cruise control

The cruise buttons are mounted on your steering wheel, but are easily removable. I don't see anything stopping you from removing them and remounting them anywhere else comfortable with some minor rewiring.

Found this on another site. Granted, it is oriented towards a 7G chassis, but the process should still be the same.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The set and resume switches are just momentary on switches. The switch assembly has 3 wires. For ease of mounting, consider just getting a couple normally open momentary on switches and mounting them in the dash.

You'll need to find the wires in the harness. The common wire is shared with the horn system so you can't just cut it but you can tap into it and extend the wire to the new switch location.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have an older Honda, you can unscrew the buttoms from the steering wheel, remove the wiring, and just relocate it to the kick panel