Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Advice on b16a problems (94 del Sol VTEC)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on b16a problems (94 del Sol VTEC)

Ok, so about a year ago I ran through some standing water & my sol took a drink through the CAI. Since then, it will occassionally start "bouncing" when idling, btwn 800-1500. Have not been able to determine an exact cause, or why it stops.. it just happens every once-in-a-while. It's never thrown a CEL and doesn't do it that frequently, and last time I had it in the shop to have a new coil put in they couldn't find the cause of it. So till now I was never *real* concerned about it, until a few weeks ago when I went to change my plugs & saw that they were badly soiled and looking down in the cylinders could see black stuff in them as well.

So now I get a new bike so I can have some transportation while fixing the Sol up and coming back from getting a tire fixed last week in the flooding rain ended up driving through some standing water, which caused it to lock again. This time it took a couple minutes to clear the water out and it did start back up, but it was running pretty rough afterward. 2 days later I finally get my first CEL and checked it today, only code given is a 43 (fuel supply system). I had originally thought the RPM bouncing may have been related to the O2 sensor, and am wondering again if maybe that was all that was damaged by the first dunk in the water.

Anyway, I'm now trying to decide what to do w/ the engine. If they're gonna have to break it all down anyway to clean it up, maybe I should have some additional work done in there. Or is there some chemical way to clean it up other than having to pull it out & take it apart? If it's just a matter of taking the heads off, cleaning it up and running some chemicals through (someone suggested pulling the plugs and spraying some gumout or something in them, then cover em in a towel & hit the starter a few times... I'm not real keen on that one though, maybe it would be fine it just doesn't sound that thorough) and then replacing all the seals/gaskets.

The only mods on the car are AEM CAI & DC 4-2-1 headers, and it has close to 98k miles. I need it as my daily driver (not much, 30mi/day), but am riding the bike as long as them temp doesn't cross 90 before 10am

Well, what do you all think. I don't have a lot of cash, but I could go into a bit of debt to keep it on the road...

Oh, and first thing is an AEM bypass valve. Wish I had known about those before moving to TX

j-E
Old 06-15-2004, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Advice on b16a problems (j_edge)

bump... anyone?
Old 06-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Advice on b16a problems (j_edge)

Don't get the AEM bypass valve, it defeats the purpose of having a cold air. I would highly suggest to you that you get a short ram since you seem incapable of avoiding standing water.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:37 AM

Default Re: Advice on b16a problems (SICKSOLVTEC-T)

Yeah, the CAI was on already when I bought it.. I don't really mind it, but the front end is kinda screwed which is what's allowing the water to enter. I don't even think the water would have reached it had the car in the next lane not caused a wake

But what I'm wondering about is the engine. I plan on replacing the fuel filter first since it hasn't been since I got the car 4 yrs ago, but should I try replacing the o2 sensor? speaking of, is the bosch worth $230, or are universal's just as good? other options?

If that fixes the issues I'm seeing, what can I do to clean the cylinders out? Should I do a compression/leak down test before going any further? It just hit 100k miles, needs body work, new front bumper, paint.. should I just drive it into the ground & cut my losses?

- j-E
Old 06-16-2004, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SICKSOLVTEC-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't get the AEM bypass valve, it defeats the purpose of having a cold air. I would highly suggest to you that you get a short ram since you seem incapable of avoiding standing water.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I would have to disagree. In texas bypass valve can save your life due to these flash floods we get. It saved my car plenty of times.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Advice on b16a problems (95civicSirCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95civicSirCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I would have to disagree. In texas bypass valve can save your life due to these flash floods we get. It saved my car plenty of times.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't say it wasn't effective at doing what it was designed to do. I said it defeats the purpose of having a CAI. You WILL loose power with a bypass valve. Look it up/Search....
Old 06-16-2004, 09:32 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SICKSOLVTEC-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I didn't say it wasn't effective at doing what it was designed to do. I said it defeats the purpose of having a CAI. You WILL loose power with a bypass valve. Look it up/Search....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lose performance or hydrolock, hmmmm...
Old 06-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Advice on b16a problems (976)

Or just get a short ram and have no noticeable loss OR gain in power. Hmmm....Or even better, avoid driving threw large still bodies of water. Hmm....
Old 06-16-2004, 11:41 AM
TSPeed Factory

run a compression test to determine if you're getting the proper compression in every cylinder.

i'm not a big fan of cai. the gains are too little for the risk of hydrolocking your motor.