Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

AC question... just stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC question... just stopped working

Yesterday was 103 degrees so i decided to use my AC.

I was cruising along the highway and it seemed to be blowing colder than normal but i'm not sure.

randomly it just stopped blowing cold, and wasnt any harder to get going from a stop like it usually is with the ac on (extra belt.. more load). so i figured maybe the belt snapped, so i pulled over, looked, and it was fine..

what could that be? the belt is still there, and the fan comes on when i press the AC button. it was recharged a month ago but i dont think its that because it isnt even engaging (you know how you can feel it, and acceleration is slower, when you turn it on)

(92cx with b16a2 btw)
Old 07-12-2005, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AC question... just stopped working (90gs)

A/C compressor clutch.

Pop your hood and watch the compressor clutch to see if it engages when some one activates the A/C.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AC question... just stopped working (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A/C compressor clutch.

Pop your hood and watch the compressor clutch to see if it engages when some one activates the A/C.</TD></TR></TABLE>

got a diagram?

if thats broken does that mean i need a new compressor?
Old 07-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

doesn't mean it's broken, if the a/c clutch isn't engaging it could just be an electrical problem so check your fuses.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AC question... just stopped working (si_lee)

alright... what could have caused it to blow a fuse though?

ill check the fuses later, its like 106 outside right now, and 140 inside the car lol (damn greenhouse effect haha)
Old 07-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 07-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok update... 2 questions

where might that fuse be? i looked in the kick panel and there was nothing having to do with AC.. only thing was ACG and that fuse was fine.

i looked under the hood and there was one for the AC condensor fan, and that ones fine, even though thats not the problem... the fans turn on fine.

second question, what does it look like when the clutch engages? there is a round piece (the last piece, to the right of the belt, looking straight down) that spins freely with the car off...?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No offense whatesoever but from your comments thus far... Seek proffesional help in the matter. You may have an electrical problem that needs to be traced out.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: AC question... just stopped working (jo3blo3)

There is a little black box in the under hood fuse box that is labeled "blower motor relay" or something like that. It is the only relay with all 4 prongs going parallel with each other, but if that was the problem then it would stop blowing air altogether I think. The only way to check that is to borrow a friends relay from thier civic and see.
If you end up needing any A/C parts I have them all since I took mine out for the turbo install
Old 07-13-2005, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AC question... just stopped working (TurboCoop)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboCoop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is a little black box in the under hood fuse box that is labeled "blower motor relay" or something like that. It is the only relay with all 4 prongs going parallel with each other, but if that was the problem then it would stop blowing air altogether I think. The only way to check that is to borrow a friends relay from thier civic and see.
If you end up needing any A/C parts I have them all since I took mine out for the turbo install </TD></TR></TABLE>

alright i'll let you know.

i'm interested to see if it is a fuse though, but i dont see any that have to do with the AC though...

it wouldnt be that the charge ran out because its not engaging (someone mentioned the compressor clutch?)
Old 07-13-2005, 05:31 AM

it could be that your ac system is low on refigerant or (freon) (r12) on for your model year. you might have leak in the system, blown fuse all these things could lead to the compressor not engage. take it to the pro and let them check out the ac sytem for you. you might want to convert it to r134a.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90gs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok update... 2 questions

where might that fuse be? i looked in the kick panel and there was nothing having to do with AC.. only thing was ACG and that fuse was fine.

i looked under the hood and there was one for the AC condensor fan, and that ones fine, even though thats not the problem... the fans turn on fine.

second question, what does it look like when the clutch engages? there is a round piece (the last piece, to the right of the belt, looking straight down) that spins freely with the car off...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The clutch is front part of the compressor, but not the pulley it self. When you hit your a/c button the clutch will engage and you will see that front piece start to spin. If the clutch does not engage, it could also mean you low on refrigeration. However, even if you system is low your clutch may still engage but you a/c will not be very cold.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2lua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2lua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it could be that your ac system is low on refigerant or (freon) (r12) on for your model year. you might have leak in the system, blown fuse all these things could lead to the compressor not engage. take it to the pro and let them check out the ac sytem for you. you might want to convert it to r134a.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah its a b16 with the cx compressor. a member helped me install the p54 bracket and charged it like a month ago (dunno if theres a leak though).

if the refrigerant is low wouldnt it gradually stop working? mine all of a sudden stopped working.

where would the fuse be? there were none under the hood or in the kick panel that had to do with the AC.

mine isnt engaging, for whatever reason, you can tell because acceleration stays the same even with the it "on"
Old 07-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90gs)

When the refrigeration gets low enough to a point the compressor will not kick on. You should look directly at the compressor clutch to determine whether or not it engages, not just by judging from acceleration. I highly doubt that you have an electrical problem, honda's aren't known for that so you probably just need to get the a/c serviced.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (si_lee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by si_lee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When the refrigeration gets low enough to a point the compressor will not kick on. You should look directly at the compressor clutch to determine whether or not it engages, not just by judging from acceleration. I highly doubt that you have an electrical problem, honda's aren't known for that so you probably just need to get the a/c serviced.</TD></TR></TABLE>

when i put the pag oil in i put some **** that reacts to black light so i can check for leaks that way.

i just refilled it a month ago though, so that is making me hesitant to think its out of refrigerant... ill check though
Old 07-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90gs)

Like mentioned before it might be your clutch. Some parts stores sell them separately from the compressor.

Modified by fast88std at 11:30 PM 7/13/2005
Old 07-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fast88std)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fast88std &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like mentioned before it might be your clutch. Some parts stores sell them separately from the compressor.

Modified by fast88std at 11:30 PM 7/13/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

can someone get me a diagram or do a drawing so i know what to look for to see if its engaging?