Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

AC help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC help.

I recently bout a 96 civic DX with a B16A2 swap. Apparently the person that did the swap didn't bother to put the AC back in (along with the PS and coolant tank). Im assuming the cheapest way to attain all the parts to the AC system is at the junkyard. I was just wondering what parts are ok to pull from a wrecked car and what parts I should buy new? Also if anyone has a part list of all the AC components that would be helpful.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AC help.

didn't we already go through this? im pretty sure we did.

PS came as a standard feature on all sedans, and on the coupe when ordered with an automatic transmission. as far as AC, it was the LX that added it as a standard option in 97. your DX would not of come with it. (i may be wrong here, correct me if i am)

i am positive we went over this just 2 days ago, and you were advised to find a coolant reservoir, and also told what you would need to add AC and PS to your car.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gitarman2
I recently bout a 96 civic DX with a B16A2 swap. Apparently the person that did the swap didn't bother to put the AC back in (along with the PS and coolant tank). Im assuming the cheapest way to attain all the parts to the AC system is at the junkyard. I was just wondering what parts are ok to pull from a wrecked car and what parts I should buy new? Also if anyone has a part list of all the AC components that would be helpful.
You'll need a bunch of bolts (6X25 I believe) for connecting the lines.

Buy a new receiver/dryer and belt. Everything else you can get used. Here is the list:

Evaporator (this is behind the glove box, this might not have been removed with the swap (if your car even had AC to begin with, take a peek under there and check. Or look behind the battery. If you see a shiny oval piece of metal, where the ac lines hook up, the evaporator is still there.

You'll also need:

-Compressor
-Tensioner pulley
-Condenser with the fan
-Bracket to mount the condenser
-AC wire harness (connects the electrical between the compressor, condenser and switch on the dryer)
-You'll need the hard line that runs from the evaporator along the right side of the engine bay, then in front of the rad and eventually to the receiver dryer
-Fatter line that runs from the evaporator along the right side of the engine bay, under the rad and then into the compressor.
-Soft high pressure line that connects the compressor to the condenser
-Short hard line that connects the receiver/dryer to the condenser.
-You'll need 2 relays (compressor clutch relay and condenser fan relay) and the AC diode - all of these go in the under hood fuse box)

Take it to an AC shop and have them evac the system, check it for leaks and charge it.

Install the receiver dryer last as these things can't be exposed to the open air for long.

Another thing worth mentioning. All of these parts are compatible in all Civic's except the compressor. The B and D series compressors are different. You can fit a D series compressor on a B series motor, you just need to grab a bracket/drivers side torque mount off a 97-01 CRV and the D series compressor will bolt right on to your B16.

Save yourself a lot of headaches and install the compressor first, then the lines, then the condenser and finally the dryer and wiring. It will give you he most space to work with. I just put AC in my car last week so it's pretty fresh in my mind.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Also, here are the AC install instructions:
http://web.archive.org/web/201012020.../17561_01.html

This will help you source all the exact parts to remove.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. Exactly what I needed.