Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

abs question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs question

when i start my car it starts perfectly after a few seconds i hear this grinding noise coming from the abs pump then the abs light comes on. is the pump still working perfectly or do i need to replace it?

thanks in advance for all inputs.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: abs question (eliasromero)

what about that scenerio makes you think things would be working perfectly? Doesnt sound good to me. Take your car out and slam on the brakes, that will tell you if your ABS is working.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Re: abs question (sol2hatch)

the thing is that the wheel get locked when i hit the brake all the way in. i also have an integra with abs its starting to make that noise but when i hit the brake real hard it doesnt get locked but it makes the noise as the civic.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:19 PM

has any one had this experience?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:56 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: (eliasromero)

If the ABS light stays on, the ABS system has shut itself off due to a problem. If you want to fix this yourself, get the OEM shop manual. It will tell you how to check codes on the ABS system, and even tell you exactly how to fix them with flow-charts...

If you said the "pump" makes an aweful noise when it cycles, then chances are you will simply need to replace it. They are not that expensive used on eBay, but only buy from someone that guarantees theirs to be working (or your money back)...

PS: They are different for different years, so make sure the one you get is for your year civic...
Old 03-16-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: (94eg!)

thank you very much.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (eliasromero)

First thing to check is does the pump have brake fluid in it???? there is a clearish plastic piece for the top and you should be able to see fluid on the top left side if looking at it from the front.

It will make some noise upon startup to prime itself and you can re-prime them but I forget how off the top of my head.

That will cause a light just like low brake fluid in your resevoir will.

Basic maintenance and you might try the integra forums since not too many civics have ABS brakes.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:57 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: (sauceja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sauceja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First thing to check is does the pump have brake fluid in it???? there is a clearish plastic piece for the top and you should be able to see fluid on the top left side if looking at it from the front.

It will make some noise upon startup to prime itself and you can re-prime them but I forget how off the top of my head.

That will cause a light just like low brake fluid in your resevoir will.

Basic maintenance and you might try the integra forums since not too many civics have ABS brakes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is completely true if he has a 92-95 Civic, or 93-97 Del Sol. However, if the car in question is a 96-00 Civic, the ABS system does not have it's own dedicated fluid. Instead, the ABS uses the same fluid as the rest of the braking system (from the master cylinder). This cannot have a low fluid level unless your master cylinder has run dry, at which time you would have a complete brake system failure...

I would just like to take a second to point out that everyone should start off their threads by stating the vehicle in questions year/model/trim-level since there are quite a few different cars discussed in this one forum...