Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ABS brake booster - master cylinder comparison / bench bleed how-to

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS brake booster - master cylinder comparison / bench bleed how-to

I've invested a lot of time researching the plethora of combinations you can execute in a brake upgrade, but I haven't seen this covered yet. That and most of the threads I've read up on usually have dead pictures for one reason or another.

This thread will cover the differences between an 8" non abs brake booster and 7" abs booster, both found in 96-00 civics. Also, I snapped some pictures of the differences between a non abs MC and an abs MC. This is also my first thread, so go easy...

The following applies to 96-00 civics:

ABS booster on the left - non ABS booster on the right.
ABS booster is 7" in diameter and non ABS booster is 8" in diameter.

non ABS booster on the left - ABS booster on the right.
ABS booster may be smaller in diameter but is thicker than its counterpart, which leads me to think it has more internal volume.

ABS 15/16" MC found in 96-00 civic with ABS
Notice the different end than a non ABS MC

Craptastic 13/16" MC

Majority of HTers may feel that a 7/8" MC from an EM1 would be the way to go, but this is an alternative for those who plan on stepping up to bigger brakes than EX/SI 10.3" fronts and thought about using a 15/16" MC and booster from an integra.

As you can see here, no lines to re-flare. There's no crazy ammount of hardline bending or fabricating to get things lined up. All it takes is a little minor massaging.

Here's a couple of pics of the whole setup installed...

As for bench bleeding, it's pretty simple...

1) get yourself a 2-3 dollar one-man bleed kit and fashion the assorted hose and connectors like so:

2) To get a good seal on the MC ports, cut the ends off the plastic plugs that come with the new MC and shove the hose in it. Another option would be to drill through the plastic cap as well. You can also throw some teflon tape around it for good measure.

3) fill the MC with brake fluid of your choice and manually pump the MC.

Make sure to slowly release so that the MC doesn't suck the air bubbles back in.

Just keep pumping till all the air bubbles are gone. I takes a couple minutes, so have patience...

It's also a good idea to keep everything connected while you mount the MC to the booster. It's when you're ready to connect the hard lines that you take off the plastic lines. I think it minimizes the mess...

That's it in a nutshell...
Old 03-31-2007, 01:50 AM
New User

Default Re: ABS brake booster - master cylinder comparison / bench bleed how-to (Chim Chim)

Nice write up
Old 03-31-2007, 06:40 AM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

Default Re: ABS brake booster - master cylinder comparison / bench bleed how-to (Chim Chim)

nice write up What model 96-00 Civic came with ABS by the way?
Old 03-31-2007, 07:36 AM

Default Re: ABS brake booster - master cylinder comparison / bench bleed how-to (rukawa1one)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rukawa1one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice write up What model 96-00 Civic came with ABS by the way?</TD></TR></TABLE>

96-00 EX automatic (2 or 4 door) is the common one...

Although rare, the car I pulled the booster from was a 98 EX 5spd ABS coupe. It wasn't an AT/MT conversion, it was stock.

So that surprised me a bit. If it wasn't for the rear quarter damage(ABS computer resides in the rear quarter), I would have opted to by the shell to do a full ABS conversion.