Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

About to pick up a EG hatch SI for a DD. I'm clueless to hondas, please inform me.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to pick up a EG hatch SI for a DD. I'm clueless to hondas, please inform me.

Well, I'm a hardcore rotorhead and have a 87 rx-7 turbo ii that im building to the hilt. Pretty much a street legal racecar.

I'm about to pick up a 92-95 hatch si for a daily driver (since the rx is being overhauled like hardcore).
I know a teeeeeeeeeny tiny bit about hondas. But have a good general knowledge since I'm a car freak and absolute rotary addict.

It's an Si so I'm happy about that. I assume its DOHC w/ vtec. I checked autos.msn and its 125hp 1.6l

My questions are, what do these things weigh.

What are some good mods besdies exhaust/intake. I want to keep it quiet and reliable.

I was planning on some koni yellows, springs possibly. Apexi V-AFC, and a MSD dizzy and 6a kit.
I want to make it a reliable assed daily driver that I can have a little bit of fun in the mtns w/ (since i live right next to a huge mtn w/ great roads). Comfy, and not sound like a total fart can monster. Hard enough to keep the RX sounding respectable, let alone a civic.
Maybe a lightened steel flywheel sometime.

My friend told me that these cars are flimsy and need a good bit of bracing.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Honestly, if someone could IM me who is knowledgable about these cars, that would be great

AIM - nodebat
YIM - meanrex@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Ben Martin
Old 02-14-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: About to pick up a EG hatch SI for a DD. I'm clueless to hondas, please inform me. (Node)

swap it
Old 02-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: About to pick up a EG hatch SI for a DD. I'm clueless to hondas, please inform me. (Node)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Node &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was planning on some koni yellows, springs possibly.Apexi V-AFC, and a MSD dizzy and 6a kit.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

you dont need those...they are quite usless for a DD and it has a sohc motor and it is a D16z6...they love boost
Old 02-14-2007, 06:41 PM

yeah, the 92-95 si have a SOHC Vtec engine. Still plenty of get up and go for a DD and a fun 7200 RPM redline, though people do say pretty much unanimously on the forum here that theres not a huge amount to be gained from bolt ons engine parts. the si weighs like 2390 lbs or something like that. you can get a cx or vx, which are just a slight shade over 2000 lbs and swap in an si engine (by far the cheapest option if youre not looking for anything crazy) otherwise there is a great swap sticky at the top of the EG/EK forum page. as for the friend saying theyre flimsy, you will want to add a brace if you add a rear anti roll bar, since they can tear the sheet metal where they mount if you dont. comptech has a nice bar/brace combo if you wanna check that out, otherwise they should be alright. good luck with the car!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:44 PM

thanks for the replies, and a few people IMing me to edumacate my honda-impaired self.

No swaps, no turbos. its a daily driver. I already have my fast sports car.

So a V-AFC won't help at all?

I was thinking keep stock intake and exhaust, maybe tinker w/ the head

I was thinking MAAAAAAAAYBE shave head for higher compression and throw in a mild cam.

Not sure of the miles, so wouldn't be a bad idea to rebuild top end and change timing belt anyways.
-Ben
Old 02-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Node)

put a rotory in it and call it a day.. else drive it like stock and enjoy the great gas mileage.. An SI is a good find.. I wish I could get one around here..
Old 02-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Intake header exhaust. As far as DD's go there isn't alot more than that. Crower and comp make a cams for it but if you want to keep the good milage you should probably stay with the stock cam or maybe the stage 1 which really won't do alot.

Biggest thing would be a decent suspension set up and some wheels. Look at the top of this forum. There is a HUGE fact about what you can do with these cars to make them faster/more fun to drive.