Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

About to drain antifreeze and put in new antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to drain antifreeze and put in new antifreeze

Well I bought two premixed bottles of antifreeze to change out mine because it mysteriously vanished. My car is begining to over heat and the idle is going up and down
Ok well my question is, what should I do when i change it?
Is there anything I do besides draining it and putting in new antifreeze? Anything I can do to maybe prevent it from draing out again?
thanks
Old 11-08-2002, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: About to drain antifreeze and put in new antifreeze (kingpen)

if your car is starting to overheat u should change the thermostat and waterpump,
Old 11-08-2002, 12:13 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

First of all antifreeze/coolant doesn't just disappear. It must be leaking from somewhere. I suggest you find that leak before you cook the motor.

As far as the drain/fill goes, it's easy.

Make sure the car is pretty cool when you do this to avoid getting burned.

1. Take off the cap.

2. Loosen the white plastic **** on the bottom tank for the radiator and drain the fluid into an enviromentally safe conatiner and dispose of it properly ().

3. Tighten the plastic ****.

4. Depending on your car you might have to loosen a bleeder valve on the upper waterneck leading into the head on your motor when refilling with coolant.

If you have the 10mm bleeder, fill the radiator until coolant oozes from the bleeder valve.

If no bleeder (newer cars) fill and squeeze the top hose and continue filling and squeezing until you see no bubbles.

That's about it.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:15 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: About to drain antifreeze and put in new antifreeze (careawholelot)

if your car is starting to overheat u should change the thermostat and waterpump,
Not necessarily.

It could just be a minor leak that is emptying his radiator.

When dealing with a problem don't start at the more difficult problems - start with the easiest ones.

I have never seen a waterpump just **** out unless it was way overdue for a change, which is 90,000 miles.

Thermostats?

Yes. But you can have a 100% functional thermostat but if the cooling system has a leak the good thermostat won't help.

Old 11-08-2002, 12:25 PM

Default Re: About to drain antifreeze and put in new antifreeze (B18C5-EH2)

the radiator is nearly brand new. and i have noticed it leaking oncee, but the fluid was under the a/c not the radiator
Old 11-08-2002, 12:28 PM
Former Moderator

Check the hoses, especially the lower rad. hose.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DONT FORGET #3!!
when i filled mine last night i forgot to put the plug back in and let about 1/4 gallon of coolant and water go all over my garage..

Not necessarily.

When dealing with a problem don't start at the more difficult problems - start with the easiest ones.

I have never seen a waterpump just **** out unless it was way overdue for a change, which is 90,000 miles.

Thermostats?

Yes. But you can have a 100% functional thermostat but if the cooling system has a leak the good thermostat won't help.
this is so true...

good work tom.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:52 PM

ABOUT the tube connetcet to the top of the radiator
can i spray water through it to drain the system of all antyifreeze
Old 11-08-2002, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey, i have had the exact problem before, blew a headgasket, smoke everywhere, DO NOT LET IT OVERHEAT!!!.....unless you're looking to do an engine swap, which is what i ended up doing. If the radiator's new, check both upper and lower radiator hoses. ADDITIONALLY there are heater hoses connected from your block to your firewall that also have coolant in them. if you're leaving fluid on the ground it's definately a problem.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:10 PM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: About to drain antifreeze and put in new antifreeze (KAMiN)

DONT FORGET #3!!
when i filled mine last night i forgot to put the plug back in and let about 1/4 gallon of coolant and water go all over my garage..

Not necessarily.

Thermostats?

this is so true...

good work tom.
Roflmfao Kamin..

If its leakin then i would look for the leak and see if you cant find it.. dont change **** till you find out just what the prob is..
Old 11-08-2002, 01:16 PM

Default Re: About to drain antifreeze and put in new antifreeze (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

i just took it out and fiulled with water
found no leaks
i fully cleaned that sucker and put in premiexd coolant (as opposed to zntifreeze mixed with dirty water.) If this fails... i take it out again buy new hoses etc. Hopefully the problem is solved
Old 11-08-2002, 01:28 PM
poo flinger

This happened to me and I thought I had a huge leak. I turned out to be air pockets. Most likely you have air pockets in your system. Did you pour in the coolant, the leave the radiator cap off and start the car? You need to do this until you don't see any bubbles coming up from the radiator. Then add more if needed. Fill the overflow tank and you should be good to go.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:52 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not necessarily... It could just be a minor leak that is emptying his radiator... I have never seen a waterpump just **** out unless it was way overdue for a change, which is 90,000 miles...
A couple of thoughts:

First, a Honda CiViC runs on a gallon (1-gallon) of coolant. It doesn't take much of a leak for it to disappear and overheat. A single unnoticed pin-hole leak will do the job nicely!

Secondly, water pumps DO wear out, especially when you use sh!tty antifreeze which have borates and silicates (which is just a fancy way of saying fine-particled sand) in them. A water pump is actually nothing more than a impeller spinning at high-speed. Antifreeze with borates and silicates will, over time, 'sand' the impeller down to nothing, and the water WILL quit circulating, causing overheating.

Anyway, carry on...
Old 11-08-2002, 01:58 PM

the radiator is nearly brand new. and i have noticed it leaking oncee, but the fluid was under the a/c not the radiator
I will guaradamntee if he's seeing antifreeze on the timing belt side of the motor, then antifreeze is coming out of the weep hole of the water pump after he turns the the car off.

Common problem for Hondas. Happened to mine at 70,000 miles, and incidentally, I was using non-Honda coolant for most of the life of the car.

Shawn
Old 11-08-2002, 02:15 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: About to drain antifreeze and put in new antifreeze (shawnhayes)

Butting heads are we?

I'm sure it might *seem* like a common problem to some of you, but I assure you that in all my years of working in dealers (3 dealers, and the shop I'm at now) I've not ever seen a single premature waterpump failure.

Perhaps incorrect install or way overdue for a change? Yes, but to say it's a "common problem" for the waterpump to leak from the "weep hole" isn't really true.

Maybe it's just everywhere but Georgia?
Old 11-08-2002, 02:39 PM
New User

A/C leaks. Water is dropped from a/c. You need honda typee 2 coolent. And drain block aswell. Remeber to use bleed screw when filling. Removal of air bubbles is a must. BOO YEAH.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:37 AM

I'm sure it might *seem* like a common problem to some of you, but I assure you that in all my years of working in dealers (3 dealers, and the shop I'm at now) I've not ever seen a single premature waterpump failure.
People who bring their car to dealers aren't likely to see this. The Honda pundits who I circulated with when I bought the car new (mostly econoheads and reliability nuts) told me that if I didn't fill the car with Honda antifreeze the water pump would fail. This went against their ususal cheap nature, and I should have noticed that and listened, but nooooooo. I told them "bullcrap" and bought el cheapo Prestone, and changed it once a year. Given, I owned the car for six years before any REAL problem, but from years 3 to year six I had to replace some antifreeze almost every month. I once found antifreeze near the radiator cap, and Honda replaced the cap under warranty.

It still "lost" antifreeze unexplainedly. Very slow loss, almost negligible.

At year six and 70,000 miles, I stopped the car at my apartment after a 30 mile run. I took out the garbage and noted coolant dripping from the left side of the engine. Ah HA, I thought, now I can find the leaking hose. NOPE. It was dripping down the left side of the timing cover. I took it to the dealer, and they told me the water pump was leaking, but I was nearly due for timing belt change anyway, so we did both.

Coolant loss stopped immediately and permanently. Never lost another drop until I swapped the motor at 100,000 miles.

Perhaps incorrect install or way overdue for a change? Yes, but to say it's a "common problem" for the waterpump to leak from the "weep hole" isn't really true.
The trick is that this problem seems to occur to a special group of people, of which I have belonged to for many years. CHEAP ASSES. The people who buy a Honda Civic CX because of the mileage, and think that the VX wasn't worth the extra money. Oil changes at 3,000 miles with the cheapest oil on sale that week, and yearly antifreeze changes with the el cheapo brand antifreeze. As a group, as well, most of these people have the technical skill to replace the water pump and timing belt by themselves, and when it does fail, they're not going to end up at any shop or dealer. This debate occurrs at least once a month on rec.autos.makers.honda, and you wouldn't believe the number of people who echo my experience on this. The Honda antifreeze formulation seems to be the best at preventing this problem.

Normal schmucks who go to dealers aren't going to experience this anyway, Why? Because the stock coolant stays in the car the whole life, until timing belt change time comes around, and then you replace the water pump as a matter of hassle reduction.

Tuners will also never see this problem. They also will replace the timing belt and water pump before it occurs, and they are probably either using Dex-cool, or Honda antifreeze, which is better than the cheap antifreeze at preventing this problem.

The giveaway for this case, I think, is that he is seeing coolant on the LEFT side of the motor, near the AC (at least I think that's what he's saying). It's awful hard for the radiator/heater hoses on the right side of the motor to drip all the way over there. The only other thing on the left side of the motor is the main hose on the back of the motor, and I guess that can leak that way, but I've never seen that leak before.

Opinions?

Shawn
Old 11-09-2002, 06:47 AM
Former Moderator

Once again thanks for your own personal testimony that proves to me that it happened to YOU.

I don't work at a dealer now, and since our labor rates are cheaper we get a lot of "cheap asses" as customers.

I don't want to argue any more about the probability of a waterpump leaking - it's straying too far off topic to actually help the guy with his problem.

Point?

For the guy who has a possible leak at least check the waterpump area on the timing cover side of your engine. It might not be a really common problem, but since we know it can at least happen once it's worth checking out.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:01 AM

Once again thanks for your own personal testimony that proves to me that it happened to YOU.
Understood, but I can link some newsgroup debates over antifreeze where the idiots like me who didn't RTFM or didn't believe it fell victim to their own stupidity as well tell how it happens when they didn't listen. I really am just highlighting my and others stupidity when we refuse to listen to the manufacturer.

I don't work at a dealer now, and since our labor rates are cheaper we get a lot of "cheap asses" as customers.
True, but these are technically inept cheap asses. Hopefully, you and your other techs are insisting on the proper coolant for the car, rather than putting in basic antifreeze. I'm only speculating, but are you putting cheap silicate antifreeze in Hondas?

I don't want to argue any more about the probability of a waterpump leaking - it's straying too far off topic to actually help the guy with his problem.
For the guy who has a possible leak at least check the waterpump area on the timing cover side of your engine. It might not be a really common problem, but since we know it can at least happen once it's worth checking out.
Agreed, and ONLY if he truly is seeing coolant on the left side of the motor near the timing belt cover.

Also, as you have pointed out, this problem isn't REALLY a common problem, but for morons like myself who put in incorrect antifreeze, it does seem to occur. Or maybe we're just very vocal, eh?

Shawn

[Modified by shawnhayes, 4:06 PM 11/9/2002]
Old 11-10-2002, 06:56 PM

well after i turn the car off i see a little puddle of it and its antifreeze under the a/c....im going to get out all the air bubbles then see what happens
Old 11-10-2002, 07:39 PM
HT White Ops

...Also, as you have pointed out, this problem isn't REALLY a common problem, but for morons like myself who put in incorrect antifreeze, it does seem to occur...
Honda OEM antifreeze is generally the best coolant for a Honda. If you don't mind me copy 'n' pasting something from one of my posts, this may shed some light on the subject.

Apologies, in advance, to those of you that have read this stuff a million times. This is for those that don't have a clue...

Originally posted by Nexus242

I can't imagine Prestone, Zerex or Peak would cause erosion of your inner gaskets even if they are Honda gaskets. Just stick with a top name brand and you should be alright with no leaks. :D
I cannot help it if you have a lack of imagination, Nexus. Besides anybody into debating knows this playground tactic to be an "appeal to ignorance" fallacy, e.g. Nexus242 can't imagine something is true, therefore it must be false. Please!!!

Let's play fair. I'll provide you with evidence and you dispute it. That way you can't plead ignorance or lack of imagination...

SOURCE: Any Honda Dealer Web Site

<u>Why must I use Honda-brand antifreeze/coolant in my engine/radiator?</u>

* Most coolants labeled safe for aluminum engines actually aren't. The silicates and/or borates added to most coolants act as <FONT COLOR="red">abrasives</FONT> on the cooling systems.

* Honda's formulation for coolant does not use silicates or borates to enhance the corrosion protection for aluminum components. Instead, Genuine Honda antifreeze/coolant uses a proprietary organic corrosion inhibitor.

* The advantages of the Honda coolant are clear. Its ability to inhibit corrosion and the absence of silicates makes it the <FONT COLOR="red">only</FONT> coolant recommended for your Honda.

* If Genuine Honda antifreeze/coolant is not available, you may use another major-brand non-silicate coolant as a <FONT COLOR="red">temporary</FONT> replacement. Make sure it is a high-quality coolant recommended for aluminum engines.

* However, <FONT COLOR="red">continued use of any non-Honda coolant may result in corrosion, causing the cooling system to malfunction or fail</FONT>. Have the cooling system flushed and refilled with Honda antifreeze/coolant as soon as possible.
And, of course, here's the infamous Honda Corp letter written to its' Honda and Acura dealers:

<u>Genuine Honda Coolant is the Only Way to Go</u>

Increasingly severe operating conditions and the advent of lower maintenance requirements have resulted in significant changes in the variety and the concentration of additives used in engine coolant. Also, the continual improvements in engine and vehicle design have challenged coolant suppliers to design products that perform well in a more demanding environment.

To meet these needs, Honda engineers have developed a superior, high-quality coolant that has several advantages over the competition.

Some antifreeze, although labeled as safe for aluminum parts, may not be compatible with Acura cooling system components. Extensive research and testing by both Honda R&D and CCI, the manufacturer of the Honda coolant, have proven that the <FONT COLOR="red">abrasive</FONT> silicates and/or borates found in most domestic coolants can cause these problems:

* Silicates bond to the <FONT COLOR="red">surface of the water pump seal</FONT> and act as an <FONT COLOR="red">abrasive</FONT>, causing considerable <FONT COLOR="red">seal erosion and coolant leakage</FONT>.

* In actual tests, the silicated coolant caused <FONT COLOR="red">early leakage</FONT>. This <FONT COLOR="red">leakage increased dramatically</FONT> until a substantial portion of the coolant had been lost.

* In contrast, the Honda coolant had almost no leakage through the duration of the test.

<FONT COLOR="blue">There was a chart here, entitled "Coolant Leakage from Water Pump Seal", showing Leaked Coolant Volume in ml as follows for each test duration in Hours. This is the text</FONT>:

Time
Honda Coolant volume leaked
Typical Silicated Coolant volume leaked

24 hours
0 ml
21 ml

48 hours
1 ml
36 ml

72 hours
2 ml
47 ml

96 hours
2 ml
55 ml

120 hours
2.5 ml
56 ml

144 hours
3.5 ml
57 ml

168 hours
4 ml
58.8 ml

192 hours
6 ml
63 ml

200 hours
6 ml
64 ml

* <FONT COLOR="red">Silicates tend to gel and settle in the coolest parts of the cooling system, causing radiator plugging and overheating</FONT>.

* <FONT COLOR="red">Borates cause pitting corrosion on the cylinder head</FONT>.

* Silicate inhibitors are difficult to stabilize and, therefore, limit coolant shelf life.

<FONT COLOR="red">Most commercially available coolants were originally designed for cast iron engines. Silicate, an inexpensive additive, was added to coolants to prevent aluminum corrosion, but the long-term durability of the combination was not tested</FONT>.

In contrast, Honda coolant was designed specifically for aluminum engines. It contains an organic corrosion inhibitor instead of silicate. This superior formula gives these advantages:

* No silicate abrasion of water pump seals. For example, these graphs show the surface roughness of two aluminum water pump seal rings. <FONT COLOR="red">Seal A, exposed to silicated coolant, shows considerable damage</FONT>. Seal B, exposed to Honda coolant, displays only minute wear.

* (graphs here, showing roughness across the surface, with A a very wiggly line, and B a very smooth line)

* No plugging or overheating caused by silicate gelling.

* Excellent corrosion protection for aluminum components.

* Long-term corrosion protection for other cooling system materials (steel, cast iron, copper, solder, gaskets, seals, and O-rings).

You can find less expensive coolants on the market, but now you can see why genuine Honda coolant is the only coolant approved for Honda and Acura vehicles (it MUST be used for warranty repairs). <FONT COLOR="red">Honda's non-silicate formula delivers added protection not offered by 95 percent of other brands</FONT>. Since our customers expect lower maintenance, <FONT COLOR="red">you're doing them an injustice if you use any other coolant</FONT>.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:50 PM
HT White Ops

...they are probably either using Dex-cool, or Honda antifreeze, which is better than the cheap antifreeze at preventing this problem...
LoL! Here's another copy 'n' paste...

Originally posted by NoNafs
halvoline dexcool, run about 7-7.50 a gallon, and that is undiluted...
Yeah, a lot of ppl substitute Texaco Havoline Dex-Cool for OEM coolant[s] in Jap cars. Ditto for Euro cars. However, it still isn't as good as Honda HP Coolant, IMO, which was designed by Honda R&D specifically for use in Honda cars, motorcycles, et cetera.

The problem I have with Dex-Cool is that they have simply substituted silicates and borates with another cutting-edge inhibitor technology. Texaco uses an inorganic salt-based carboxylate and organic acid technology [OAT] additive/inhibitor package to extend its' range of compatibility with other antifreezes. This is hardly a high-tech solution [no pun intended] to silicate antifreezes, as far as I'm concerned...
Old 11-10-2002, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: About to drain antifreeze and put in new antifreeze (BlackDeuceCoupe)

right when i think ur out of info...u amaze me w/ more. hehe
Old 11-10-2002, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: About to drain antifreeze and put in new antifreeze (BlackDeuceCoupe)

Dude,

I dunno about anyone else here, but that was a positive welath of info. I've had rad problems before and this expains alot. I'm speaking specifically about the coolant.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:45 PM

Honda OEM antifreeze is generally the best coolant for a Honda. If you don't mind me copy 'n' pasting something from one of my posts, this may shed some light on the subject.

Apologies, in advance, to those of you that have read this stuff a million times. This is for those that don't have a clue...
Exactly. I have seen this info and debate on the honda newsgroups for years. I hadn't sought this information out, and had ignored the owners manual. Those who have done this and lost a water pump over it will never forget. Apparently, there aren't that many of us out there though, speaking for the reliability of Honda water pumps.

Shawn

[Modified by shawnhayes, 11:45 PM 11/11/2002]

Quick Reply: About to drain antifreeze and put in new antifreeze