Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH

Got to vent : (also ask suggestions)

It all starts back in June, me and friends of mine are road tripping to DisneyWorld. We got hooked up fat, 300$ for the whole trip and we were staying on the grounds. Anyway, we are on our way when my car started smoking (lightly). So we pull pver and check it out, the car is acting a bit slugish, but not too bad, :::Making long story short::: think I'm low on oil, add oil, car run's worse. Leave car at local Honda dearship, continue trip with 1 car. Honda dealer calls me and tells me, buy a new motor. WTF! Not trusting that, I wait till I get back from florida, go pick up the car (friend's truck w/ tower thingie) and took it to local guy. Turns out my car just overheated(WTF), one of my sparkplugs was misaligned, and I added too much oil (opps). So since I already thought about spending 3000$ on my car I figured what the hell, and bought Skunk stage 2 cams, cam gears, valve springs, ti retainers, intake manafold, fuel rail, and a fuel pressure regulator. Had the same guy do the install for me, he takes over 2 weeks to finish everything, way overcharges me(compaired to the numbers he was talking in the begining) and does'nt even put the whole car back togeather. Several hoses were left off. Anyway I fixed to problems go back and yell the **** out of the guy. FF to last week, someone desides to take my car, but at the last second bolts w/ my system and cell phone, but not before ripping out my stearing colum and ingnition switch. Insurance in covering it,no biggie. So I get it back today, finally getting around to tuning the damn cam gears (a bolt broke off on my valve cover), and the damn car just shuts down. Ever since I got it back (after the mods) whenever I let off the gas to manualy slow down the car, it felt like it was out of gas, and today it just shutdown. Now I'm thinking my fuel pump went out, the day I get my car back. WTF should I do (besides buy a new fuel pump), it has been suggested that the guy that installed the mods could have switched my pump w/ an older one hoping I would come back to him, I was always under the inpression the fuel pump is fairly diffcult to remove so I have a hard time bealving that. Anyway, I am almost at the point of selling the car. I know the same people who tried to take my car before will try again, and the realibality of this vehicle is currently in question. Suggestions?

Cliff Notes : Car broke down, added to much oil, Honda dealerships thought motor was blown, 2nd opinion car overheated + too much oil, went on mod-fest, became lazy and had someone else install parts, they left a couple hoses off and bolts loose, car acts funny (like out of gas), car gets almost stolen, get car back, car breaks down, thinking fuel pump.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:35 AM

Default Re: aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH (audiobahnman)

wow... all this from a 99??? I've got about 170k on my beater and I still haven't had any major probs... knock on wood-grain.

You've given us some good info so far as to what put you in this position... now if you can describe what the car is doing a little better and what you've tried so far for trouble shooting it might give us a little better insight.

what kind of vehicle:
complete list of current mods:
any new driving habits that might have caused the over heat situation: i.e. recent miss shift/ recent tune-up /changing conditions etc.
Old 08-08-2002, 01:34 AM

Default Re: aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH (3RROR404)

you shoulda spent part of the $3k on a gun and some caffeine gum and stayed up all night waiting for the ****** to return and either a) shoot the *** or b) call police and hold him at gun point...

I say you shoot him... in the shin... then kick him in the shin...

Ever think the guy breaking in could be the guy you took it to/yelled at?
Old 08-08-2002, 01:54 AM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...but not before ripping out my stearing colum and ingnition switch...Ever since I got it back (after the mods) whenever I let off the gas to manualy slow down the car, it felt like it was out of gas, and today it just shutdown...
Hrm... well, you know that Honda is recalling 2.5 million cars because of faulty ignition switches, right? What are the symptoms? The cars "just shutdown." And, those turds jacked up your ignition switch, right? It might be an outside shot, but I'm guessing - your ignition switch is bad...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=245139
Old 08-08-2002, 06:51 AM

Default Re: aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH (BlackDeuceCoupe)

im scared cuz of the mods. i might have void d the the warranty on the ign. swithch..but changing the fuel pump isnt that hard if its anything like my 98 coupe..the pump is access d from ur trunk..un hook ur battery first please..then unscrew the pump from the top of the tank, unhook wires, screw in new pump, connect wires, battery and ur ready to go..sounds easy ..huh ?? but it does look like u got *** d by the shop..if uve got AAA, tell them
Old 08-08-2002, 08:29 AM

Default Re: aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH (deepnite)

aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH
this post is long
Old 08-08-2002, 09:24 AM

Hrm... well, you know that Honda is recalling 2.5 million cars because of faulty ignition switches, right? What are the symptoms? The cars "just shutdown." And, those turds jacked up your ignition switch, right? It might be an outside shot, but I'm guessing - your ignition switch is bad...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=245139
The car acted like it was out of gas, and as soon as I ten 10 mph the car turned itself off.
Compleate list of mods : Apex N1, Aem Cai, Dc 4-1 header, then all the stuff I just told you about(springs too but thats not real relivant). I drive the car to work daily (about 20mi all highway), and prob goto the track once a month. I change my oil every 1- 1 1/2 months (myself), and try and clean my filter just the same.

The honda dealer just replaced the inginiton switch (from when it torn out) two days ago, I suppose they could have put in a bad switch. At least they'd fix it for free.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:47 AM

man im sorry. no body deserves that ****, especially HT members...hope u get everything fixed
Old 08-08-2002, 12:39 PM
HT White Ops

...The honda dealer just replaced the inginiton switch...
How about fuel pressure? I see you have a FPR. What is it set at? Maybe it was set too low or has changed during the mod...
Old 08-10-2002, 09:29 PM

...The honda dealer just replaced the inginiton switch...

How about fuel pressure? I see you have a FPR. What is it set at? Maybe it was set too low or has changed during the mod...
nah my fuel pressure is good. I was getting a spark and fuel. as it turns out, my timing got screwed up, and somehow got waaayyyyy advanced, in turn caused a lack of compression. So says the dealer. Anyhoo, they fixed the timing, I get my car back and was giving everything a good lookover, when I see my axles are starting to crack. If its not something its something else.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:26 PM
HT White Ops

...it turns out, my timing got screwed up, and somehow got waaayyyyy advanced...
Good! Well, at least it wasn't the end of the world. What are you gonna do about the thieves???