Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99dx w/b18c5: need to remove the tranny...what's the min # of parts to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99dx w/b18c5: need to remove the tranny...what's the min # of parts to remove?

i need to help my friend remove his tranny as it seems his throwout bearing or clutch is toast. what is the minimum amount of parts that we need to remove? oh and please don't say "get a helms" b/c he does have one. i am just trying to remove the least amount of items....the helms seems to sometimes have you remove more than what is necessary.

here is the list i can think of so far...
1. remove both axles and intermediate shaft
2. remove shift linkage
3. remove intake arm
4. remove hyrdo clutch assembly
5. remove engine stiffeners
6. remove the c5 tranny bracket thing (forgot the name)
7. unplug some # of connectors
Old 07-01-2003, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99dx w/b18c5: need to remove the tranny...what's the min # of parts to remove? (keithv)

Trying to remember. The axles have to come off. A lot of wires need unplugged. Shift linkage (Easiest to remove it from the shift ****). flywheel cover. rear mount, passenger side mount. slave cylinder. Probably your air intake and splash gaurd so you have room to work. Can't remember anything else right off
Old 07-01-2003, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99dx w/b18c5: need to remove the tranny...what's the min # of parts to remove? (jolt-tsp)

thanks for the info...i updated the list.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99dx w/b18c5: need to remove the tranny...what's the min # of parts to remove? (keithv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keithv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i need to help my friend remove his tranny as it seems his throwout bearing or clutch is toast. what is the minimum amount of parts that we need to remove? oh and please don't say "get a helms" b/c he does have one. i am just trying to remove the least amount of items....the helms seems to sometimes have you remove more than what is necessary.

here is the list i can think of so far...
1. remove both axles and intermediate shaft
2. remove the bitch pin and linkages from tranny
3. remove intake arm
4. remove hyrdo clutch assembly
5. remove enginer stiffeners
6. remove the c5 tranny bracket thing (forgot the name)
7. unplug some # of connectors
</TD></TR></TABLE>

bitch pin doesn't need to be taken out, just take the tranny out with the linkage still connected to it.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99dx w/b18c5: need to remove the tranny...what's the min # of parts to remove? (civicdxtyper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

bitch pin doesn't need to be taken out, just take the tranny out with the linkage still connected to it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh yeah....good point...
Old 07-01-2003, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need to remove the parts as listed for getting to the clutch area:

Disconnect both negative, and positive battery terminal
- Remove intake pipe
- Remove starter from the transmission
- Remove bitch pin in the shift linkage and 10 mm bolt holding the other shift bar.
(or you can make life easier by keeping the linkage connected and disconnecting the linkage from the shifter and remove the linkage with the tranny).
- Remove reverse light sensor and ESS sensor (speed sensor)
- Drain the transmission by removing the 1/2" drive bolt on the bottom part of the tranny
- Disconnect the Clutch slave cylinder by removing the bolts (don't just remove the hose, not necessary and you'll need to bleed the clutch again.
- Disconnect the Lower conrol arm by taking out the lower cotter pin, and removing the 17 mm castle nut, and drop the control arm from the brake assembly, and pull the axles. (Be very fragile when doing this, and careful not to rip the axle seals. Removed intermediate shaft as well.
- Remove tranny mount (while supporting the motor from above or underneath)
- Remove the 17mm bolts and rear tranny mount bracket

HTH man
Old 07-01-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Re: 99dx w/b18c5: need to remove the tranny...what's the min # of parts to remove? (poison)

have fun man . I did it couple weeks ago, by myself. It was a bitch. Started noon Sat, finish noon Sunday. The hardest part was putting the tranny back. The shaft wouldn't go in.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

remove lower starter bolt...
Old 07-01-2003, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keithv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

oh yeah....good point...</TD></TR></TABLE>

not really, considering the pin only takes 10 seconds to get out with a punch. It's gonna be a bitch lining up the tranny to put it back on with the shift linkage dangling off it..

Everything is self explanatory. Keep the engine supported and remove the mounts/brackets for the tranny.

I personally find it easier to remove the whole engine when doing any transmission/clutch work.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99dx w/b18c5: need to remove the tranny...what's the min # of parts to remove? (Nameless EJ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nameless EJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not really, considering the pin only takes 10 seconds to get out with a punch. It's gonna be a bitch lining up the tranny to put it back on with the shift linkage dangling off it..

Everything is self explanatory. Keep the engine supported and remove the mounts/brackets for the tranny.

I personally find it easier to remove the whole engine when doing any transmission/clutch work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i've never messed with the bitch pin myself, but i hear its a bitch putting it in (hence the name). taking it out is the easy part. just wondering, how long does it take you to change the clutch on a civic with removing the engine? it seems like it'd be a much bigger pain in the ***, and take a lot longer. it took me and a friend about 3 hours from start to finish to change the clutch on a 97 dx. we removed the tranny only.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:34 PM

Default Re: 99dx w/b18c5: need to remove the tranny...what's the min # of parts to remove? (civicdxtyper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i've never messed with the bitch pin myself, but i hear its a bitch putting it in (hence the name). taking it out is the easy part. just wondering, how long does it take you to change the clutch on a civic with removing the engine? it seems like it'd be a much bigger pain in the ***, and take a lot longer. it took me and a friend about 3 hours from start to finish to change the clutch on a 97 dx. we removed the tranny only.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea man...no need to take out engine. Why would you? Maybe I'm misreading your question..
Old 07-02-2003, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99dx w/b18c5: need to remove the tranny...what's the min # of parts to remove? (92SiB18C1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92SiB18C1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The hardest part was putting the tranny back. The shaft wouldn't go in. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree that this is the hardest part...i can't take 5 minutes or it can take days. i dropped the tranny on my 89 civic si about 4 times in 3 days...boy did that suck!

thanks for the replies guys. i just didn't want to remove something i didn't need to. and thanks poison for the clutch slave cylinder tip...
Old 07-02-2003, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It took us three guys to get the tranny to slide back on both times we did it. The linkage pin isn't too hard to get on or off, even without the proper tools.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99dx w/b18c5: need to remove the tranny...what's the min # of parts to remove? (Paranoid Android

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paranoid Android &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yea man...no need to take out engine. Why would you? Maybe I'm misreading your question..</TD></TR></TABLE>

i didn't really have a question, i was just asking Nameless EJ6 why he takes out the engine to change the clutch.