Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 CTR headlight wiring.?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 CTR headlight wiring.?

im pickin up my ctr headlights soon.. i know they have some kinda city light, but my main concern is, are lightbulbs and plug same for my 97hatch? or do i need to convert anything. any help is appreciated.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:02 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, they will still use an H4 bulb, and yes, your stock wiring will work.

If you want your city lights to work like they're supposed to tap the positive lead to the power on your turn signals (running light power, not signal power), and tap the negative lead to the low-beam power on your headlight harness. This causes it to act as a false ground, so your city lights come on with your parking lights, and turn off with your headlights.

If you need a socket and wiring, password:jdm sells a good kit. It's what I used on mine
Old 09-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want your city lights to work like they're supposed to tap the positive lead to the power on your turn signals (running light power, not signal power), and tap the negative lead to the low-beam power on your headlight harness. This causes it to act as a false ground, so your city lights come on with your parking lights, and turn off with your headlights.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to be argumentative, but this isn't how city lights are supposed to function. To wire them up so they function as they would from the factory, simply tap the positive lead from the city light into the positive lead for your parking lamps, and connect the ground lead from the city lights to a traditional ground. The city lights function just like our parking lamps - they switch on with the first click of the headlight switch, and remain on even when the headlamps themselves are also switched on. If you are truly seeking the same setup as would be found on an actual JDM car, you will also want to disconnect the parking light wires from your corner lamps, so that they only flash with the turn signals or hazards. The parking lights in the corners are replaced by the city lights. However, such a setup doesn't meet DOT requirements, so there's a slight chance you could run into difficulty with local authorities depending upon your area.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not to be argumentative, but this isn't how city lights are supposed to function. To wire them up so they function as they would from the factory, simply tap the positive lead from the city light into the positive lead for your parking lamps, and connect the ground lead from the city lights to a traditional ground. The city lights function just like our parking lamps - they switch on with the first click of the headlight switch, and remain on even when the headlamps themselves are also switched on. If you are truly seeking the same setup as would be found on an actual JDM car, you will also want to disconnect the parking light wires from your corner lamps, so that they only flash with the turn signals or hazards. The parking lights in the corners are replaced by the city lights. However, such a setup doesn't meet DOT requirements, so there's a slight chance you could run into difficulty with local authorities depending upon your area. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you can disconnect the parking light after wiring the city lights, but you can also leave them to avoid DOT problems w/the local law enforcment, atleast that's what i did, also i think he's was asking about the headlight bulb and not so much about the city lights.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:47 PM

thanks for the help.. i was wondering about both city and regular headlights. so i can use my regular lightbulbs and they should fit into the socket of the new ctr housing? thanks for the info.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since u are putting 99 headlights in a 97 will they match up with the body panels? or is a front end conversion in order?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (EK9-Stealth)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK9-Stealth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the help.. i was wondering about both city and regular headlights. so i can use my regular lightbulbs and they should fit into the socket of the new ctr housing? thanks for the info. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you can use your existing H4 headlight bulbs with the new housings. You'll need city light sockets and bulbs though, unless the new lights came with them.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Malakai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since u are putting 99 headlights in a 97 will they match up with the body panels? or is a front end conversion in order?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm assuming he has either completed, or is in the process of completing, a front end conversion, since the '99 headlights won't match up with a '97 front end.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:22 PM
HT White Ops

I have mine wired to european spec (and they're dot compliant)
Old 09-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have mine wired to european spec (and they're dot compliant)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you elaborate on this? European specifications normally do not call for illuminated side corner markers (e.g., the German VW GTI does not feature the US model's rectangular side bumper parking lights), which the DOT specification requires. As for city lights, there is no DOT requirement that they switch off when the headlights turn on.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:53 PM

i have a 99 conversion.. i wanted to mension 97, bcuz i wasnt sure if 96-98 and 99-00 have the same wiring. so i wanted to state my chassis year. im bouts to say F the dot stuff and just take out the parking side lights.. can these side marker/city lights bulbs be purchase at a local store or its a jdm thing?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:57 PM
HT White Ops

I meant ALL my lighting is DOT compliant, not my citylights. And my friend in amsterdam, his corners light up, and his city lights go off with his headlights.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I meant ALL my lighting is DOT compliant, not my citylights. And my friend in amsterdam, his corners light up, and his city lights go off with his headlights.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have JDM headlights, then they aren't DOT compliant regardless of how they're wired. I'm not sure why your friend in Amsterdam would have a lighting setup different from that of other areas in Europe, but perhaps it's a peculiarity of that country. I can't see any reason why the city lights would need to switch off with the headlights on, or what purpose the city lights would serve if the corner lamps were also required to be lit. Are you certain the wiring is 100% factory? I'd be interested in learning more about this.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:29 PM
HT White Ops

I don't have JDM headlights.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:38 PM

just a technicality...... correct me if im wrong

JDM civic headlights don't use H4 bulbs, they use H4H bulbs

the JDM civic lights dont have the shield thing that covers the bulb to protect oncomming traffic from direct glare from the bulb.

SOOOOOOOOOOO, JDM civic headlights use a H4H bulb which is made to be used in a headlight that doesnt have the glare shield.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:47 PM

Default Re: (importnoodles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by importnoodles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just a technicality...... correct me if im wrong

JDM civic headlights don't use H4 bulbs, they use H4H bulbs

the JDM civic lights dont have the shield thing that covers the bulb to protect oncomming traffic from direct glare from the bulb.

SOOOOOOOOOOO, JDM civic headlights use a H4H bulb which is made to be used in a headlight that doesnt have the glare shield.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so your saying. imma have problems using usdm 97 bulbs (which i assume fit into jdm housing)

or without glare shield it would be brighter? sounds good too me
Old 09-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't have JDM headlights.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then I misunderstood your post.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by importnoodles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just a technicality...... correct me if im wrong

JDM civic headlights don't use H4 bulbs, they use H4H bulbs</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're correct, but that's the '92-'95 Civics, not the '99.

And yes, the JDM headlamps do lack the shield that the USDM housings possess.