Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 civic si will not crank (with key)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 civic si will not crank (with key)

Hi, I have a 99 civic si that will not do anything when turning the key. I hear the fuel pump kick on ect., but will not crank. What I do know, is that I can jump power from the battery to the starter to start the car, using a cable and leaving the car in neutral. I thought the electrical component of the ignition might have been bad, so I changed it.......didn't work. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do next? Thanks
Old 10-07-2011, 01:42 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 99 civic si will not crank (with key)

Maybe change out the ignition switch.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your fuse.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Trial User

I have checked all the fuses that I see under the hood and bellow the dash. Didn't see any blown fuses. When you say ignition switch, are you referring to the component that the key goes into? Sorry, I'm not a mechanic, but trying to fix this myself. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:37 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes. That's what I mean.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does everything power up like it is supposed to? if it does and just won't crank then it is probably your clutch switch. Supposed to have a rubber stopper on the pedal that usually crumbles and no longer engages the clutch switch.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:40 AM
Trial User

As of now, I turn my key to the "ON" position, in order to manually start my car by jumping power from the battery to the starter. With the key in the on position, I have full power to everything. If I turn the key further, to try and start the car, my gauges, radio, ect. shut off and the car doesn't crank. Gauges/radio shutting off prior to normal starting may be normal when starting the car? I can't really remember.

The clutch switch sounds like a good idea to check for. I'll check it out today and post if that was the problem or not. Thank you.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Trial User

I'm having the same issue.

Remove your right kick panel and look at your ECU. Mine was corroded bad. I have not replaced it yet as its the weekend and nothing is open till tuesday (canada).

Also, tap on your starter gently then try it. It may be stuck and causing the short. Thats my next approach also as soon as the girlfrie nd comes home to watch the kid.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having the same issue as well. Not sure what it is, but my clutch switch was good.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

try having a friend crank the car while u tap the starter with a hammer or take out the starter and get it tested.. i chose the first one before getting dirty
Old 10-09-2011, 02:21 AM
Trial User

I had the exact same problem and fixed it last night.

Replace your battery!

I though since I was jumping off another car that it would have been good. But after metering all the wires/components I decided to throw in a new battery. Turned the key and BAM. She started.

You might have a shorted/bad cell in your battery.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Trial User

Well, I don't think the battery or the starter are bad. I can manually start the car with it's own battery and starter by directly jumping the power from the battery to the starter and it starts. I have a hondata ECU, so I hope there isn't a problem there. I checked for a clutch switch, but only see a switch that is released when the clutch is pushed down. Didn't see any problem with the switch mechanism. Is there another switch that is compressed when you push the clutch all the way in? If so, I couldn't find or see one.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's weird. I also have Hondata S300 running off a basemap. My battery was at 50% charge and went and got it recharged and didn't make a difference. Someone told me I could run a start switch that manually runs power to the starter when the switch is pushes just to get car started however I'm hoping to avoid the fast and furious button route. Check your ground wires everywhere. Clean the connections and the check the volts at the starter
Old 10-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Trial User

That is weird. I am going to keep playing around with this. I am pretty sure my problem is between my key and starter. My battery and starter are fine. Whatever tells/sends or allows power to the starter is the issue. I am starting to think my ignition may be bad. I have replace the electrical part of the switch, but not the actual key entry point. Was hoping to not have to get a new key. I may call Hondata as well and see if they have any reported problems, since we are both having the same issue and running Hondata.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your starter relay. Mine was bad and I replaced it. Works good. Also check your battery had to replace that too
Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is you have a aftermarket alarm, check for the starter kill
Old 10-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Trial User

Can you clue me into where the starter relay is located and how do you know if it is bad?
Thanks.

No aftermarket alarm.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check ur main relay... its under the glovecompartment... open the glove compartment.. push both side inward and it will drop.. the main relay will b on ur rite.. u will have to remove the side panel and take out a screw that is holding the main relay.. honda dealer charges 55-70... borrow from a friend b4 buying 1...
Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Main relay doesn't control ignition. Idk if it's in actual starter relay. But it's in between the wires that run from ignition to fuse box.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:25 AM
Trial User

Yeah, the main relay is fine. Is the starter relay, the same as the electrical ignition switch and harness? I have replace this already. the ignition switch is a white round piece with a bunch of wires coming out of it.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are all the wires plugged in on your starter? I had that problem and i couldnt figure it out till i took off my air box to replace the starter, the little wire that doesnt bolt on fell off
Old 10-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there should be 2 switches on the clutch. one is to shut off the cruise control(lower switch on the pedal) and a second one up higher. just unplug the connector and jump those 2 wires together. the car can now be started without pressing the clutch pedal down. the clutch switch is a safety feature that will not allow you to start the car without the clutch being engage. honda for some reason decided to use a rubber grommet on the pedal where the switch contacts the pedal. overtime the grommet dries out and becomes brittle and cracks. this is generally the cause of this problem. i bypass it on every car i have owned because of this reason.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:34 AM
Trial User

Thanks, I will look for the two switches. As for the rubber grommet, mine is missing on the clutch pedal itself, but it looks like the pedal still presses the button in when the clutch is released (up position). I will have to look and see if there is another button for when the clutch is pushed in. You know what is strange in itself....When I start the car using a cable from the battery to the starter, I do not have to engage the clutch. Is this normal?
I will also inspect the starter for unplugged wires. Upon first inspection, it looked like everything was intact.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check and make sure your grounds are good. if the grounds weak it will not crank over the car.. ive had this happen before electronics int he car would work dash lights everything . i cleaned my engine ground and it started right up
Old 10-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Flgatorfish
Thanks, I will look for the two switches. As for the rubber grommet, mine is missing on the clutch pedal itself, but it looks like the pedal still presses the button in when the clutch is released (up position). I will have to look and see if there is another button for when the clutch is pushed in. You know what is strange in itself....When I start the car using a cable from the battery to the starter, I do not have to engage the clutch. Is this normal?
I will also inspect the starter for unplugged wires. Upon first inspection, it looked like everything was intact.
yes cause your taking power straight to the starter.

Quick Reply: 99 civic si will not crank (with key)