Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Civic Si Suspension upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Civic Si Suspension upgrades...

I live in Canada and I have a 1999 Civic Si (American EX) and I have a few questions regarding suspension.

Body has 200,000 Kilometres which is around 125,000 Miles. Engine is a different story. This car is going to be a daily driver, but I may take this to the occasional pylon racing, (MAYBE).

Just wondering if I should just go to a local part's store and order new Linkages and bushings. I heard the bushings might be hard to take them out so I might end up getting whole new Control arms? Tie rods possibly as well? Also, ball joints?

Was also thinking of buying some semi-cheap lowering springs to lower the car about an inch, maybe a bit more. Don't want the car too low as my City has really bad roads. I also want the car to be smooth, don't want to have a stiff ride.

Would just like some opinions on what exactly I should do, where I should buy parts online for cheap, maybe some ideas of some exact after market things if necessary.

Thank you
Old 03-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 Civic Si Suspension upgrades...

energy suspension has awesome bushing kits.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...ic+1999+Non+Si
Old 03-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Budget?

Take a look at the Eibach pro kit. It lowers the car about 1'', and you can also get Eibach shocks, to replace the old ones. I think that runs about $420

The ES bushings set is "ok". I have some ES bushings in my car. They are not easy to change.
The problem I have is the ES kit doesn't replace all or ever half of the cars bushings. Spend $100 more and you can get Hardrace or PIC Hardrubber bushings.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Budget?

Take a look at the Eibach pro kit. It lowers the car about 1'', and you can also get Eibach shocks, to replace the old ones. I think that runs about $420

The ES bushings set is "ok". I have some ES bushings in my car. They are not easy to change.
The problem I have is the ES kit doesn't replace all or ever half of the cars bushings. Spend $100 more and you can get Hardrace or PIC Hardrubber bushings.
My budget for lowering would be around $500. It doesn't seem like a necessity, just something that would be nice.

What bushing set has bushings for all around the car? Also, are these "performance" bushings? Would these be better then a local Part Source/Piston Ring type of deal?

I just want the car to have a good, smooth ride. I don't want the car to be stiff at all.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.buyhardrace.com/product/h...-lx-ex_52.html

http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewP...idcategory=386

http://picperformance.com/store/scri...?idCategory=84

http://www.kyb.com/

http://www.tokicostruts.com/shop/

http://performance-suspension.eibach...rmance_springs

http://www.tein.com/products/s_tech.html

http://www.hrsprings.com/products/springs/
Old 03-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the links.

Just some questions. Are those prices for bushings the "norm"? I guess $250 isn't that bad for bushing's all around but those are "race" bushings? Will they have a negative effect on the car's smoothness? I want this to drive smooth. What would be your first choice?

Also, I was looking at the Eibach lowering springs, what is the difference between the PRO-KIT PERFORMANCE SPRINGS and the SPORTLINE KIT? Is it just the difference in height it lowers? Are they both relatively smooth? I don't want it to be stiff. They are both $329 so if they are the same but only the height is different I might aswell go for the lower ones. (1.8 inch drop front and rear) Would I need new struts to go with these? These might break the budget unless OEM replacements will work.

Can I have your opinion on which one's you would choose?

I am only 16 I don't have too much experience in Honda's or doing modifications to cars. I would really love someone else's advice/opinion.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The busings are harder than stock and I wouldn't say that they would make the ride harsh. They will increase steering and suspension feel.

http://performance-suspension.eibach...t_vs_sportline
Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would you say I would be safe with the SPORT-PLUS (SPORTLINE SPRINGS & ANTI-ROLL-KIT SWAY BARS)? Would the ride be stiff? I guess I wouldn't need shocks with these. But I would probably buy OEM ones unless there are decent ones for the equivalent price.

Also, what's the difference between these two kits:

# 4.1740.881

# 4.1840.880

They both have the same descriptions. They are listed for $690 but with a simple search I found the whole kit for around $400!

Do you know if this site is "safe":
http://www.importpartspro.com/41740881.html

Also, again, back to the bushings, how much harder? Am I better off just going to a local store and buying OEM ones? Would like a smooth ride.

Am I missing anything? Ball joints? Tie rods?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't really worry about upgrading your sway bars.

If you are really worried about the ride being stiff I would go with the Pro Kits and some decent aftermarket shocks. If I were going to buy shocks I would buy Tokico or Koni. There are other options. People seem to like KYB. I don't.

For the rest of the parts I would get OEM. Like ball joints, wheel bearings and tie rods.

For bushings there is like 4 choices. Stock, hard, polyurethane and spherial. Basically: soft, medium, hard and "extra"-hard.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDM_teh_WIN!!
I wouldn't really worry about upgrading your sway bars.

If you are really worried about the ride being stiff I would go with the Pro Kits and some decent aftermarket shocks. If I were going to buy shocks I would buy Tokico or Koni. There are other options. People seem to like KYB. I don't.

For the rest of the parts I would get OEM. Like ball joints, wheel bearings and tie rods.

For bushings there is like 4 choices. Stock, hard, polyurethane and spherial. Basically: soft, medium, hard and "extra"-hard.
Ok, so, no sway bars. I really do like the Sportline though just because it is a bit lower. But that raises another question. How low will it drop my car? I don't want my tires to be tucked into the fenders a lot, and I certainly don't want the wheels to drop.

So, Pro Kit's it is? Or will Sportline be fine?

I will for sure do the ball joints, wheel bearings, and tie rods first. Then I'll do the bushings, which exact brand/kit am I looking at if I want a Soft/Medium ride? I don't want super stiff, but I don't want to soft as my city has A LOT of potholes, so maybe a happy medium?

Also, how much would after market shocks cost me for all around? Tokico or Koni? OEM out of the question?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well replacing the bushings you are in the same position. They require the same removal/install method.

I honestly don't thing you would notice the difference between new OEM bushings and Aftermarket hard bushings. You will notice that everything is tigher and more responsive compared to old worn bushings. I'm pretty sure the hardrace bushings or PIC performance bushings is a good choice and less expensive than OEM but I haven't priced out an OEM kit.

Sportlines aren't going to tuck your car. If you go with Sportlines I would suggest aftermarket shocks as sometimes the ride can be bouncy with a stiff spring and softer valved shock. THe Pro kits should be fine with OEM shocks. I think the site I listed for the Tokicos is like $85 a shock so like $350. Koni's are more expensive.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by Xenon7
My budget for lowering would be around $500. It doesn't seem like a necessity, just something that would be nice.

What bushing set has bushings for all around the car? Also, are these "performance" bushings? Would these be better then a local Part Source/Piston Ring type of deal?

I just want the car to have a good, smooth ride. I don't want the car to be stiff at all.
Lowering is definetly nice, these cars look very good with a mild drop.

The bushings are performace bushings... Sense you don't want the car to be stiff, I would look at the Hardrace bushings. While they are harder the OEM, they aren't nearly as hard as the PIC bushings. However, they aren't going cause the car to become back brakeing by any means. But, you will know they are there.

Thanks for the links.

Just some questions. Are those prices for bushings the "norm"? I guess $250 isn't that bad for bushing's all around but those are "race" bushings? Will they have a negative effect on the car's smoothness? I want this to drive smooth. What would be your first choice?

Also, I was looking at the Eibach lowering springs, what is the difference between the PRO-KIT PERFORMANCE SPRINGS and the SPORTLINE KIT? Is it just the difference in height it lowers? Are they both relatively smooth? I don't want it to be stiff. They are both $329 so if they are the same but only the height is different I might aswell go for the lower ones. (1.8 inch drop front and rear) Would I need new struts to go with these? These might break the budget unless OEM replacements will work.

Can I have your opinion on which one's you would choose?

I am only 16 I don't have too much experience in Honda's or doing modifications to cars. I would really love someone else's advice/opinion.

Thanks.
My first choice would be PIC, however, I am more then willing to give ride comfort for performance. I already run pretty stiff springs in the car, so comfort has already been lost.
From what I have been told/ and read the Hardrace bushings are much more of a OEM replacement...

I reccomended the pro kit becuase you stated you wanted a very mild drop, and aren't looking for the car to be stiff. The Sport kit will drop the car about .8'' more then the pro kit. The spring rates are a bit stiffer, however, the car should still maintain a great ride quality.
OEM replacements may be ok on the Pro kit, but I would go with something diferent on the sport kit. This is also why I said take a look at the "pro kit" that includes shocks.
Go to tire rack.com. They have both the pro kit and sport with shocks for around $400.

Ok, so,no sway bars. I really do like the Sportline though just because it is a bit lower. But that raises another question. How low will it drop my car? I don't want my tires to be tucked into the fenders a lot, and I certainly don't want the wheels to drop.

So, Pro Kit's it is? Or will Sportline be fine?

I will for sure do the ball joints, wheel bearings, and tie rods first. Then I'll do the bushings, which exact brand/kit am I looking at if I want a Soft/Medium ride? I don't want super stiff, but I don't want to soft as my city has A LOT of potholes, so maybe a happy medium?

Also, how much would after market shocks cost me for all around? Tokico or Koni? OEM out of the question?
The SI already has sway bars F+R, so there is no point to change them Unless, you go smaller in front, and larger in rear. Honestly, being your 16 I would leave them alone. Until you get more experience behind the wheel.

Go on google and type in both, and see what drop you like the best.

Take a look at the Eibach springs with the shocks first. They are actually quite cheap.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My SI is Canadian so it is actually an American EX. Not sure if it has Sway bars.

Are you talking about the $441 kit? Shocks would be good? All I would need?

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...9&autoModClar=

These bushings?:

Anything else After market I should look for?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lower Control Arm's? Should I keep them stock?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think that Eibach kit woild be great for you.

All good choices for what you want.

I just looked up the lower control arms for a US EX (Canadian Si) and both front lower control arms can be purchased for $206ea. That is $412 and I do believe that includes that bushings.

If you buy a kit to replace the bushings it is $289 plus labor to remove/install. So depending on what labor would cost you that might be an option to explore.

Parts 5/6 2000 Civic EX (Canadian Si)

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ER+ARM+%281%29

Of course that is only the front lower control arms and no other bushings.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Master Detailer

My SI is Canadian so it is actually an American EX. Not sure if it has Sway bars.

Are you talking about the $441 kit? Shocks would be good? All I would need?

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...9&autoModClar=

These bushings?:

Anything else After market I should look for?
Ah ****, I missed that somehow. You have a front sway bar, but not rear. You can definetly benifit from adding a rear bar.

I would just get ahold of a stock SI rear sway bar, or for you SIR.

yes, those are the bushings.

There is no benifit to aftermarket control arms, so just leave them stock.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I would go with the Integra Type-R rear sway cause it's 22mm vs the 13mm? SiR rear. Would match the front and keep the car neutral. But that's just my opinion.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Master Detailer

I think I would go with the Integra Type-R rear sway cause it's 22mm vs the 13mm? SiR rear. Would match the front and keep the car neutral. But that's just my opinion.
He would need a subframe brace to do this.

I would go 22mm, but jumping from noithing to 22mm bar may not be the best thing for him. Even more so sense he is only 16.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where would I find one, and how cheap would it be? I won't bother with the control arm's. I'll just do the bushings.

Oh and Labour = $0 as I can do most of this by myself and some help from my dad/uncle.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool!

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...s=&view=normal
Master Detailer

Where would I find one, and how cheap would it be? I won't bother with the control arm's. I'll just do the bushings.

Oh and Labour = $0 as I can do most of this by myself and some help from my dad/uncle.
Craigslist, Jdmland.com....

If at all possible, get a CTR rear sway bar, not a ITR. They are the same size, but, do use the ITR sway bar you will have to buy Function7 spacers which adds $30, plus endlinks, brace.
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe I shouldn't get one, I don't want the ride too stiff. I also really won't be doing much racing at all.

Also don't want to have to buy something I don't need. Just trying to get this car to be a nice daily driver.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Master Detailer

That is a regular integra bar.

This is a type R

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/f...%20LOWER%20ARM
Old 03-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Master Detailer

Maybe I shouldn't get one, I don't want the ride too stiff. I also really won't be doing much racing at all.

Also don't want to have to buy something I don't need. Just trying to get this car to be a nice daily driver.
Sway bars don't affect the ride quality in any way.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Sway bars don't affect the ride quality in any way.
Then what's the point in having one? Handling?

Quick Reply: 99 Civic Si Suspension upgrades...