Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Civic Si help

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Civic Si help

I recently bought a 99 EM1. The car runs and is in decent condition, but burns oil badly and smokes a bit at higher RPM's. I think it's an issue with the rings or ring lands. That being said, I'm looking for it to be a reliable DD, with the possibility of modding it in the future. So, I'm guessing the safest route would be to replace the motor. It's the original B16A2 with 150K miles on it.

I have never attempted a motor swap, I've really only done very basic maintenance, but I'm hoping with all the guides online and help of a buddy or two, I can get things done.

With my lack of knowledge on swaps and mechanics, I'm looking for the easiest swap possible. I know the car is OBD2b. Is it possible to swap another B16A2 in and be a direct fit? I don't see the B16A2 on HMO?

Would this longblock be a direct swap in, plug and play basically?

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30025

I don't understand, would I need to convert to OBD1?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 99 Civic Si help

I would just get a short block. You can find one for a few hundred dollars and swap everything from your motor over.

With little to no experience you could complete the entire project over a weekend with research.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:49 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

short block would be a fun swap.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you must remember you're going to be putting a motor in that no one really knows the condition of.

that being said, you'll have to swap over your injectors and distributor if using obd1 motor. with jdm engines and usdm obd2 ecu, you'll have to do the ckf rewire.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DumpedSi
I would just get a short block. You can find one for a few hundred dollars and swap everything from your motor over.

With little to no experience you could complete the entire project over a weekend with research.
Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing you can only buy long blocks from sites like Hmotors? So to buy an short block I'd have to find one in the classifieds?

Originally Posted by SqueegeeJ
There are plenty of OBD2 b16s out there. The reason you are not seeing a b16a2 is because you are looking at motors from Japan. The 5th digit is the region that the engine is from. If you stick with OBD2 it will be plug and play. Engines from Japan dont have emissions so you can use your harness off the engine you pull out.

This is a link to a engine from JDM Engine Corp for a OBD2 b16
http://www.jdmenginescorp.com/engine...tor-long-block
Ah this is extremely helpful. Thank you.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 AM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OP have you looked into building an LS/VTEC? For far less money than you would pay for a new B16 motor you can put a 1.8/2 liter bottom end on there with an 89mm crank and make FAR more torque and power. The car will be soooo much nicer to drive with more displacement, trust me, I've owned 3 EM1s, the extra torque really wakes up the car.

An LS block with B16 pistons, and stock LS rods and crank, simply bolted onto your stock B16 head, will make almost 200hp. (at the crank)

You can also use a B20 block with the 84mm RS machine 'itr style' pistons on ebay for cheap and make H22 power and torque.

This is probably a good opportunity to upgrade the motor seeing as how it needs attention anyway.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2LEM1, great idea sounds like a frankenstein. Also, what would you suggest to be the most conservative, reliable, and yet useful power set up?
Old 09-11-2013, 11:59 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This question makes no sense. Based on what criteria? Too vague. Too open ended.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:04 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For the most reliable LS/VTEC while retaining the cheapest cost, I would run B16 pistons on LS rods on the LS crank. The B20 will make more power, but you will need aftermarket pistons. The LS you can reuse your B16s and it will put you right around 12:1 compression if I remember correctly. That's a bit on the high side, but it's perfectly streetable with a good tune, and it will also take great advantage of some decent cams.

For a cheap build I would have the LS block honed but leave it at 81mm. Reuse your B16 pistons. They will fit right onto the LS rods on the 89MM crank. Bolt that up to your B16 head and I will guarantee you make more power than a stock GSR, for under $1000

Add some good cams and a header and that setup is capable of 220+ whp
Old 09-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Depending on your goals and what you're really after I'd look past what 2lem1 is suggesting. Also, depending on your budget.

My advice was a method to save money. You can find a short block in the 1-200 dollar range. B16 blocks = nobody really wants them so they sell cheap. I've also had Ls vtec and it is fairly easy but its not beginner easy and you'll end up paying a decent amount in labor fees to get the bottom end prepped and assembled.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
This question makes no sense. Based on what criteria? Too vague. Too open ended.
This.

There are many options out there, but you have to be more specific as to what your goals are.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would just throw a gsr in there and call it a day.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ElectronBlue00
This.

There are many options out there, but you have to be more specific as to what your goals are.
How is it too vague? I'm looking for the easiest way to have this car running like new, motor wise. A good daily driver. If I need more power, I can just turbo it down the road, but right now just getting it running smoothly and being practical is all I need. Keep in mind, my limited mechanical ability. If I could spend 2000 or less, that'd be perfect.

Does HMotors sell OBD2 long blocks?

Depending on your goals and what you're really after I'd look past what 2lem1 is suggesting. Also, depending on your budget.

My advice was a method to save money. You can find a short block in the 1-200 dollar range. B16 blocks = nobody really wants them so they sell cheap. I've also had Ls vtec and it is fairly easy but its not beginner easy and you'll end up paying a decent amount in labor fees to get the bottom end prepped and assembled.
This does sound easiest. I'd need to find a short block here in the classifieds though, right? Can you explain the OBD part? Would I need an OBD2 shortblock. Confused on this.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the price of a swap and your lack of knowledge why not just pay to have the b16 rebuilt and leave it alone. Enjoy it
Old 09-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Marvin1985
For the price of a swap and your lack of knowledge why not just pay to have the b16 rebuilt and leave it alone. Enjoy it
Wasn't sure if this was an option considering it burns a lot of oil and smokes a good bit. Unsure of the motor condition.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the rings/ringlands are bad in the current motor, would rebuilding it work? I'd rather get a new motor, and have a spare b16.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OBD won't matter since you have a complete motor from your car and you can swap literally everything over.

I'd look locally for a short block. Try craigslist or your regional HT classified section. YOu can use any variation of a b16 motor but the b16a2 is what belongs in your car and will be the newest. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OBD won't matter since you have a complete motor from your car and you can swap literally everything over.

I'd look locally for a short block. Try craigslist or your regional HT classified section. YOu can use any variation of a b16 motor but the b16a2 is what belongs in your car and will be the newest. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Thank you. PM'ed.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/obd1-b16-into-1999-obd2-b16-civic-si-1308853/

So basically this link is saying it doesn't matter if I get an OBD1 block because I can swap over the missing components from my OBD2 B16a2.

Am I understanding correctly?
Old 09-12-2013, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by JimmyRustles
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1308853

So basically this link is saying it doesn't matter if I get an OBD1 block because I can swap over the missing components from my OBD2 B16a2.

Am I understanding correctly?
yes
Old 09-12-2013, 06:01 AM

What state are you in though?
Old 09-12-2013, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
What state are you in though?
Florida. I'm rustling the **** out of my own jimmies though. Frustrated because I feel like I don't understand still. I'd rather buy a short/long block from HMO or another reliable shop, but all I see is OBD1? 96-98 (SiR-II) Long Block

Been searching classifieds for B16 short block but mostly see GSR.

Maybe someone could PM me and help. I feel like a complete idiot.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:15 AM

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30004

96-98 is OBD2
Old 09-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You are rustling your own jimmies. It's a really basic job. It's been awhile since I've messed with 99-00 si but if I remember correctly, the only difference in the bottom end is crank position sensor and knock sensor. You can grab both those off your motor. The head will completely swap over and you'll use EVERYTHING else off your motor

I have a b16a2 short block I can sell you for 400 shipped. It's in good running shape so with my block the only thing you'll need to replace is head studs and head gasket. I've reused both before but not everyone recommends it.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You are rustling your own jimmies. It's a really basic job. It's been awhile since I've messed with 99-00 si but if I remember correctly, the only difference in the bottom end is crank position sensor and knock sensor. You can grab both those off your motor. The head will completely swap over and you'll use EVERYTHING else off your motor

I have a b16a2 short block I can sell you for 400 shipped. It's in good running shape so with my block the only thing you'll need to replace is head studs and head gasket. I've reused both before but not everyone recommends it.
Ill PM you.

Quick Reply: 99 Civic Si help