Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 civic si with a gsr swap HELP (won't start)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 civic si with a gsr swap HELP (won't start)

I have an obd2b civic si that I put a gsr swap in. I swapped it in myself
-it has and obd2b wiring vtec harness
-rewired gsr dizzy to obd2b
-some sensors are not plugged in like the butterfly valves sensor, crank fluctuation sensor and a a sensor on top of the intake manifold
-the gsr is obd2a
-the ecu is a civic si obd2b p2t
-everything was fine when I bought it from the guy that had it his integra, it ran perfect when I test drove it
I can't figure out why the car doesn't turn on, it turns over and fuel primes. If anyone knows what could be the problem I'd appreciate it if you let me know. It may have something to do with the vacuum hoses or something like not being connecting in the right place.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 civic si with a gsr swap HELP (won't start)

dont worry about the butterflies on the intake manifold yet. which sensor isnt plugged in on the manifold?

the crank sensor is important, but don't worry about that yet either lol. we just trying to get the car started.
is the firing order correct? (spark plug wire order)
any open vacuum lines, plug them too.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Check for spark at the plugs. List all CEL codes that are thrown.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know exactly which sensor but there are two on the intake manifold That aren't plugged in on the top of it where these two vacuum lines run into this one black sensor ( it's dead center on the top of the manifold. The plugs are in correct firing order.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How can I check the codes for the cel without a tester, I know there's a way but I never figured it out
Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by go-fast_integra
How can I check the codes for the cel without a tester, I know there's a way but I never figured it out
Airplane in the hangar!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/how-pull-cel-d4-srs-abs-codes-code-lists-1901557/
Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Click on the CEL sticky at the top.

Is there bright white spark at the plugs?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

People always told me that you aim the plug wire at a bolt on the frame to ground the spark but vie never done it, it just sounds unsafe but yea. What are the main things to start the car that are sensors. I've just tried a lot of things and also the cfl sensor has 3wires on the harness but 2 for the motor.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure you check grounding. even when you think you have it right, you may not. clean your grounding surfaces. more detail is needed in your description. we know you're getting fuel. turning over as in your starter is cranking? always check simple things first, like the amps/volts coming from the battery. a somewhat drained battery can be sufficient to power accessories but not enough to start the car.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I think I got all of the grounds, tranny, thermostat, valve cover, start, battery. I think if the ground was disconnected, it wouldn't turn over or the gauge cluster wouldn't light up and nothing with power would work. But I might be wrong.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

People always told me that you aim the plug wire at a bolt on the frame to ground the spark but vie never done it, it just sounds unsafe but yea.
Click the spark link in my signature. You insert a spare plug into the end of the wire and then ground the plug threads on the valve cover.

What are the main things to start the car that are sensors. I've just tried a lot of things and also the cfl sensor has 3wires on the harness but 2 for the motor.
Have you pulled the CEL codes?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh I also have a question about this dizzy that I put together. Ok, so I replaced the plug wires from the internal dizzy and when I took everything apart, I put it back together in the same way. But the only thing is that the piece that is inserted into the cam inside the head is a little loose and I tried to fix it but it's just still losse. So maybe that's the problem but I don't think so, but who knows. Maybe you
Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I just checked out your spark info. I'll check into it cause this car is at my bros house and it like an hour and a half from it so it's hard to work on it, any info tonight would be really useful.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there any other info I should know and also, anyone know about swapping the internals on a dizzy and about thAt loose piece on the back of the dizzy that's inserted into the cam inside the head. Let me know please
Old 09-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there any other info I should know and also, anyone know about swapping the internals on a dizzy and about thAt loose piece on the back of the dizzy that's inserted into the cam inside the head. Let me know please
The key way for the distributor drive is offset. You really cant install it incorrectly. The distributor wont bolt up correctly. The key is supposed to have a little play.It may appear loose. Its normal and I wouldnt worry about it.
Dont worry about the crank sensor down by the oil pump. Thats the CKF sensor used to detect misfires and not needed to run the engine. Those sensors are in the dizzy. What parts are you swapping out inside the distributor? Coils? igniters? pick ups?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I swapped the coil packs they are single cam from the dizzy. I dont think its the dizzy anymore. I checked for volts at the ignitor and the coil and its getting about 12 volts, but I checked for spark at the spark plug wires but there was no spark. I also checked the CEL code and it stays on solid without blinking. And I checked the thermostat ground but its fine. What are the three main relay fuses?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info
Old 09-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry if the reply was a little confusing, I was doing it quickly on my phone. Honestly, I'm just stumped cause when I jumper the CEL connector it doesn't flash at all, the CEL just stay solidly on. I looked it up and they say it means the ecu might be bad or the thermostat ground is not hooked up or there is a problem with the three main relay fuses. Does anyone know what these main fuses are? Also why is there no spark at the spark plug wires, even though there is volts at the ignitor and coil? I really think I might have put the distributor together the wrong way, but everything is bolted and screwed together and it fits into the cam and bolts up perfect.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your CEL isnt on, and then turns on solid when you jump it, then there are no faults stored...
But if you have all those sensors unplugged and its a stock ecu,it should see these and trigger the CEL...
Theres only 1 main relay. On your 99 civic, im pretty sure its like my 98 civic, right side of dash, behind the glovebox area.
Check all your fuses in the under hood fuse/relay box. Theres one fuse in there that powers the ecu too...
Know anyone with a service manual?
Old 09-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the integra haynes manual
Old 09-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sound like the same thing that happened to my friend when he swapped a gsr motor in his em1 after blowing the b16. He was using his em1's p2t ecu just like you are doing and the motor would not start, so after trying multiple things to get the car started we decided to get a gsr ecu and the car started on the 2nd try with not cels.