Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 civic - remove cover of passenger airbag

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 civic - remove cover of passenger airbag

I removed the passenger airbag this morning.

Can someone tell me how to remove the top, so I can put it back in the car?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2011, 11:02 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 99 civic - remove cover of passenger airbag

I'm not sure if you can. I've never done it but I think you need one of those delete plates. Check Ebay. They aren't cheap.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's like an integra airbag there should be a gold plate on each side with 4 or 5 triangle shaped nuts. Take them off an pop the cover off
Old 10-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now I've got the steering wheel airbag off too. There are screws on this one, but they go right through the airbag. I'm not going to mess with that. It looks like I'll need to get a new steering wheel, and dispose of the airbag.

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I'm not sure if you can. I've never done it but I think you need one of those delete plates. Check Ebay. They aren't cheap.
Thanks. Yeah the delete plates are expensive.

Originally Posted by Mikasa
If it's like an integra airbag there should be a gold plate on each side with 4 or 5 triangle shaped nuts. Take them off an pop the cover off
There are 8 bent over flanges on each side, from the airbag going through the edges of the top.

I'd rather use the regular top, if that's possible, and destroy the airbag.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry can't help than
Old 10-06-2011, 11:49 AM
KRV
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

for passenger use a flat head screw driver with tape wrapped around it and pry carefully up from the top of the dash.

airbag comes up through dash.

driver side.. remove the plastic tabs on side of wheel and use a torx t30 or t40 screw driver. (I think its t30)
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mikasa, thanks for trying.

Krv, the airbags are out. I got the passenger airbag out by prying between the bottom and the bar. That worked well. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the top panel off the airbag, so I can put it back on the dashboard - without being attached to the airbag.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:40 AM
KRV
Honda-Tech Member

Oh gotcha, yeah you have to pull hard. I have just the cover in my dash right now.
It will come off.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KRV
Oh gotcha, yeah you have to pull hard. I have just the cover in my dash right now.
It will come off.
Any more details about how you got it off?

What did you do with the airbag?
Old 10-10-2011, 01:36 PM
KRV
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by johnlvs2run
Any more details about how you got it off?

What did you do with the airbag?
Tried to sell them, no bites. Gave them to junk yard.

Use multiple screw drivers and wedge them in each side so they don't set back into place.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KRV
Tried to sell them, no bites. Gave them to junk yard.

Use multiple screw drivers and wedge them in each side so they don't set back into place.
You were brave. I'd be concerned that it might explode.

I wonder what would happen to the top if I just blew the airbag up purposely.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 PM
KRV
Honda-Tech Member

You were brave. I'd be concerned that it might explode.

I wonder what would happen to the top if I just blew the airbag up purposely.
It wont blow up, just don't drop it. If you blow it purposely it will rip the cover.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KRV
It wont blow up, just don't drop it. If you blow it purposely it will rip the cover.
Okay I'll give it a try. Thanks very much.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KRV
I got the top off this morning! Woo hoo. Thank you very much.

Two screwdrivers prying the plastic over the flanges got the cover off the easy side,
then by pulling the cover over the top, it came loose from the other side and was off.

Now it is fitting nicely back in the dash.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just curious- why did you do this? Are you doing a demo derby or something?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joeshmo
Just curious- why did you do this? Are you doing a demo derby or something?
I replaced the top, because the dash looks better without having a hole there.

I'm not sure what I will do with the airbags, maybe blow them up or give them away.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced the top, because the dash looks better without having a hole there.

I'm not sure what I will do with the airbags, maybe blow them up or give them away.
I meant- why did you remove the airbags? I'm fairly certain that inspection in my state cannot even be passed without your airbags in-tact. My previous car had only a driver airbag, which is one of the reasons I chose to upgrade to a newer car.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I meant- why did you remove the airbags? I'm fairly certain that inspection in my state cannot even be passed without your airbags in-tact. My previous car had only a driver airbag, which is one of the reasons I chose to upgrade to a newer car.
I removed them because they freaked me out. I didn't want them to blow up in my face and blind or kill me, or a friend of mine or somebody else.

As to the laws, first of all I refuse to drive with an explosive in the steering wheel or glove compartment, that could deface or kill me or somebody else. Secondarily, I have looked and have found no law that says I cannot remove the SRS system from my car, so I am skeptical that there is any such law, in particular not in California.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was told incorrectly.
"Your vehicle's Air Bag Warning Lamp will be checked for proper operation. You will be informed if the vehicle's air bag warning lamp is on or is not working. This is an advisement only and not cause for rejection."

Still, I feel it is good to have them there. Explosive- sure. But do they make a difference? Yes. I know people who have been saved by airbags. Plenty of them. I know of people burned by them but it is a small price to pay I think. I wouldn't think of them as bombs. They won't go off unless they really, really have to.

Your insurance may not like this though. They can definitely penalize you for non-functional safety systems.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:42 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

'98+ Civic airbags' power was decreased from previous years btw.

I've been hit in the face with the driver's airbag before ('97 Civic - the more powerful ones). It felt like someone punched me in the face, but not even as painful as a hard hit. No bleeding or anything. Don't even think I had bruises.

I was 5'4 and about 115 lbs when this happened. Female. I also sat VERY close to the wheel. Chair slid as close as possible and back of the seat not reclined a significant amount (more like standard according to most advertisements for cars).

Had I not had my airbag I would have face planted on the steering wheel. My head would have probably fit under the top of the wheel. I hit a three foot wide concrete pillar at about 35-40mph. The knee bolster clamped across my knees. The passenger floor buckled. This was a serious accident. I was lucky enough to walk away with a fractured rib and back problems.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was told incorrectly.
"Your vehicle's Air Bag Warning Lamp will be checked for proper operation. You will be informed if the vehicle's air bag warning lamp is on or is not working. This is an advisement only and not cause for rejection."
I don't know about the tests. The red light has been on since I removed fuse #23 a few months ago. I have ordered some 2 watt resistors just in case it stays on after removing the SRS system. Then I think any test would show the designated resistance.

Still, I feel it is good to have them there. Explosive- sure. But do they make a difference? Yes. I know people who have been saved by airbags. Plenty of them. I know of people burned by them but it is a small price to pay I think. I wouldn't think of them as bombs. They won't go off unless they really, really have to.
I don't know of anyone who has been saved by an airbag. I have read of many instances where people have been maimed very badly by them, and children decapitated. I have seen a number of videos where airbags have been set off under seats and blown full grown people 5 feel up in the air. I don't want one of those going off in my face.

Your insurance may not like this though. They can definitely penalize you for non-functional safety systems.
I spoke with my insurance agent at length about this a few months ago. He said they didn't care if I had airbags in my car, though he felt they were safe. However I don't feel they are safe, and have no reason to think they are safe.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why in the world would they put them in cars if they weren't safe? Do you think that unibody and crumple zones are a bad design too? They are in cars because they are effective and save lives. The systems that were engineered to make sure these things go off at the proper time were expensive. Very expensive. A car company would not put a useless, expensive system in a car, put it in EVERY model, and raise the base price if it wasn't effective.

As for infants and children being hurt by air bags- yes. That is why they belong in the back seat.
And I was just agreeing with you on the legality thing. It is perfectly legal to not have an airbag, and you WILL pass inspection with no problem.

And my insurance company gave me a little break for switching to a car with two airbags rather than one. Not a big one but I'm a young driver, so it counts.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:01 PM
H-T White Ops

Oh, and NEVER let small children sit in the front seat. I thought that was just a common idea and "rule". Pretty sure some of the sun visors in Civics even say that (if not all of them).

I was saved twice by an airbag. My friend, once as well in one of the same accidents (he was driving and we were stopped and got hit from behind by a '76 Cordoba - which is like a brick wall - going about 45mph). We both walked away, though we got checked out later.

My mother as well, in a separate accident (she rolled her car into the woods - I was a child in the back seat). My mom walked away and my sister and I were both admitted to the hospital with serious injuries. I had a head wound that made my skull visible and my sister had a fractured skull (she used to tuck the chest section of her seatbelt behind her).

My cousin's two sons hit a telephone poll last summer and their airbags blew. Both walked away as well.

All the cars were totaled in the above mentioned accidents.

I've known no one who has been hurt by an airbag but I have known several people who have been saved.

I understand your opinion might differ, but plenty of people are definitely saved by airbags each year. Airbags save more lives than they threaten. Anyone thinking of doing this, please, PLEASE read about the systems and try to get a better understanding before you do it. Also, I would encourage underage people to not remove their airbags without talking to their parents first, especially if the car belongs to mom and/or dad.

Remember the part about Honda making the 1998+ airbags less powerful too. I wouldn't be surprised if other makes have taken similar actions.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:04 PM
H-T White Ops

Here's my wreck that I walked away from btw. That's the pole I hit in front of the car. I had a sidewall blowout on a brand new rear tire.

Attachment 537976

Attachment 537471
Old 10-13-2011, 12:29 PM
KRV
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats man. I took my airbags out because if I hit a something I wouldn't want it to ruin my windshield. I plan on tracking my car so yeah... I would blow them up

Quick Reply: 99 civic - remove cover of passenger airbag