Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Civic - Possible power lock motor issue, want a second opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Civic - Possible power lock motor issue, want a second opinion

Hello again! I've got a 1999 Civic LX sedan, AT, stock powertrain. It has the factory keyless entry still. When I bought the car from the previous owner, he never replaced the lock motors, so it didn't work at first. The corner lights came on, but none of the locks made any noise indicating that they were trying to move.

I found out it was the two left side motors, so I replaced the lock motors with junkyard ones (tested them before purchase). They were somewhat weak at first, in terms of how much effort it would take to move the locks. It used to take several presses of the unlock button before the driver door would unlock, but I dealt with it. Over time, I guess they got used to moving around again, so they've been working relatively flawlessly for the last 8-9 months. But now to the issue at hand.

We've been having some insane rainstorms the last couple weeks here in the central Texas area, but last night got pretty bad. Luckily I don't live in a floodplain, but lots of reports of flooding and such happened. Last night, my locks were working just fine, as always. This morning, I go out to the car, hit the unlock button a few times, I see the corner lights come on, but no unlocking noise. I tried a few more times, and tried to feel the motor with my hand against the driver's door, and watched for the lock to move. It didn't move at all, and I didn't feel any whirring or anything.

I'm sure a lot of you know, but for those that don't, the keyless entry is supposed to function this way: If the doors are all locked, the driver's door has to unlock before any others can unlock. If the driver's door isn't able to unlock, none of the other doors are permitted to unlock. Alternatively, if all the doors are unlocked, you can still lock all the doors (aside from the broken one) by pressing the lock button on the fob, even if one of them doesn't work. If you are in the car, doors all unlocked, you can lock all the doors by pressing either the lock switch, or by physically pushing the driver's lock down. You cannot lock the driver's door at all if the door latch is in the open position.

So anyways, I did a couple more tests. I unlocked it with the key, unlocked all the doors with the lock switch next to the inner door handle (and it worked). I closed the door, stood outside, and locked the driver's door with the key, and that locked all the doors. I sat inside and closed the door, and used the lock switch to try and lock/unlock the car, and all the locks worked except the driver's lock, which made no movement at all.

So I'm thinking it's the lock motor. But I just wanted to ask if my method of diagnosis was a good way to do it, because the goal was not to have to take off the door panel or use a DMM, because dammit I want to be lazy and enjoy my day off. If I do replace it, I'm leaning towards getting a new one, but that will take a bit longer to get (like, a couple weeks) because of budgeting priorities.

I swear, if I'm gunna be writing novels anytime I start a thread, I gotta get a pre-reader and editor. Writing fan fiction has ruined me.

I tried to be as descriptive as possible, but lemme know if you need clarification on anything. 'preciate it.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default re: 99 Civic - Possible power lock motor issue, want a second opinion

Test the driver's door lock actuator by running power (+) and ground (-) wires directly from the battery. If the actuator won't lock/unlock by this method, replace it.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Test the driver's door lock actuator by running power (+) and ground (-) wires directly from the battery. If the actuator won't lock/unlock by this method, replace it.
Ooh, you a smotty pants Ron. Jeez, work must really do a number on me if I hadnt already thought of that, cuz electrical is my favorite :v

I will do that at work tmrw and post results. If I end up needing one, I gotta get it replaced before a convention in June.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Little update, the lock started working again. Im gunna do some voltage drop tests and also read them while the door is opened and closed, and test the lock. Havent had time the last couple days.

If a lock gets wet, would it still be usable after what I've described above? Thank ya.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:41 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: 99 Civic - Possible power lock motor issue, want a second opinion

The lock shouldn't be getting wet, ensure the lock you replaced is greased good on all moving parts.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
The lock shouldn't be getting wet, ensure the lock you replaced is greased good on all moving parts.
Okay. Any particular product I should use? I have white lithium but I dunno if that would be the right thing.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Fish Twig

I dunno, any grease will do. To keep moving parts moving.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Use dielectric grease to moisture seal all connectors in the door.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:54 PM
Fish Twig

Wow..thats a new one. I only use di-electric with electric connectors but if this works for moving parts heck I'll try it too.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Wow..thats a new one. I only use di-electric with electric connectors but if this works for moving parts heck I'll try it too.
Did tony just make a funny?
Old 05-30-2015, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT

Did tony just make a funny?
Lol he a silly monica

I'll have to wait for a day off. Works been kicking my ***, and I work all day errr day until thursday, then I'm goin to con in Dallas, so that whole thing is gunna be tiring... a lot of **** that makes me tired. I'll be a bit happier after con tho, so thas gooood