Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Civic EX Direct Swap, I searched!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 Civic EX Direct Swap, I searched!

I searched the forum, but couldn't find a definite answer. I am a strictly accord person, but my friend just blew up his engine his 99 Civic EX.

For two people who havent done an engine swap before, what would be the best solution? I know that we could just bolt in a factory D seris engine and call it a day, but I am leaning more towards a B18c1, B16a2 or something that ups the power to make a swap worthwhile.

Does the SI engine of this year bolt right in? We want to avoid wiring and Hasport mounts if possible!

Thanks.

Nate.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 99 Civic EX Direct Swap, I searched! (stickercuttingcom)

99-2000 Si swap .......A plug and play swap in 99's just get axles, harness, ecu, and mounts I think you can still use your top tranny mount but dont quote me on that. A pretty easy swap b/c both your car and that motor are both ob2b.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:30 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 99 Civic EX Direct Swap, I searched! (japspecjohn)

All i can say is if you want to avoid wiring and stuff misewell get another stock motor.You might not be upot the task.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The car just arrived from being towed from its grave on the side of the road. It has a 1 x 1 " hole in the front of the engine block. Lets just say the D series won't see another day!

Sorry about my trial user status, I know I get the bad wrap for that, I've been into hondas for about 4 years, just never post on this board, only read it.

Why would there be oil on the back of the firewall of the hole is in the front by the exhaust manifold? He drove like the car like he was on Fast and Furious with his mad cold air intake. He ignored the fact that I told him this car was made to go get groceries, not go get groceries at 7 grand on every shift.

So GSR would be a good choice? If I can find a how-to I think I could handle it. Just didn't want to get into mount kits if at all possible. Trying to save a few bucks.

Nate.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Would a D15B be a viable swap? We are going for direct swap, I just found out that he wants a shop to do it. Since I live in hick country USA, a direct swap is going to be our only choice at this point for fear of them doing it wrong.

Any ideas for a cheap swap? I guess a factory swap is what we have narrowed it down to . What did the 99 Civics receive in Japanland? The B16A2?

Thanks again,

Nate.

Old 12-20-2003, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stickercuttingcom)

d15b would be ..........just use your harness and distubutor and alternator and injectors.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all of the help on a new motor. That D15b sounds like a good choice at this point, and they are SUPER cheap compared to B series engines. Does anyone else have a recommendation on what we will need for the swap besides the parts off of the original engine?

The engine is OBD 1 from a 92-95 civic correct, won't that interfere with the OBD 2 on his 99 civic?

Clue me in, I am not a civic person, and my friend isn't even a car person..

Nate.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why buy a d15b? I can't see going to a smaller displacement engine when the factory d16y8 is a good issue.

As for local shops doing the work , the b16a2 would still be a good choice. Shouldn't be any different than replacing the engine in a 99-00SI.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:06 PM

Default Re: (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why buy a d15b? I can't see going to a smaller displacement engine when the factory d16y8 is a good issue.

As for local shops doing the work , the b16a2 would still be a good choice. Shouldn't be any different than replacing the engine in a 99-00SI.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're going to swap engines, might as well upgrade
*praying not to start a D-Series vs. B-Series fight*
Old 12-20-2003, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its totally different around here. The area is completely filled with Chevy, ford guys. I don't trust anyone to do any kind of wiring modification. His engine was knocking, he took it into a shop, and they told him that it was fine. I knew that it wasn't find as it was rattling at a certain RPM. A week later and it blew a hole in the front of the block.

Simplicity is what we are shooting for. One engine out, and another one in. If it was my car, I would handle it differently, but he is what we call honda retarded. The JDM D15b is a 3 stage vtec engine @ 130hp. Thats all a fast and furious kid needs anyway.

I just can't seem to nail down any definites. I am under the impresison that this isn't a very popular swap among 99 Civic owners.

Nate.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are no significant complications that need to be considered into swapping a bseries compared to a dseries. Just call up http://www.hmotorsonline.com He'll send you a motor with everything you'll need to swap that sucker into the car. I suggest getting either a b18c or a b18b for your civic. There is no replacement for displacement. Swapping a b16a is a very good alternative to the d16..but it won't feel any different at low rpms. The b16a won't shine until you reach the upper rev band and you'll have to rev the **** out of it to make good power. As compared to the b18c, you'll have better midrange power and good topend as well, much more suited for daily driving. The b18b is the other option, very good low and midrange umph. Of course the b18b lacks top end since it does not have vtec. But I chose the b18b because i couldn't afford the b18c1 and i wanted midrange power. I hope the b18b vs b16a doesn't come up, because they are both great motors...they just make power in different parts of the powerband. I've raced plenty of civic SI's and have lost and beaten many. But like i stated before, i chose the b18b over the b16a because of the low and midrange power advantage. I enjoy my b18b and glad i chose it, but if i could do it over again, i would have just waited and saved up for a b18c1.

Khoi
Old 12-20-2003, 05:48 PM
EPIC TUNING

Default Re: (Sohc Driver)

any hydro b series will bolt right in with the right mounts. adding an obd2 harness to an obd1 motor is easy. you can even use your EX motors harness and just add the knock sensor wire.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stickercuttingcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Simplicity is what we are shooting for. One engine out, and another one in. If it was my car, I would handle it differently, but he is what we call honda retarded. The JDM D15b is a 3 stage vtec engine @ 130hp. Thats all a fast and furious kid needs anyway.

I just can't seem to nail down any definites. I am under the impresison that this isn't a very popular swap among 99 Civic owners.
Nate. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The d15b is not a good choice here. The stock d16y8 is a much better way to go. d15b has 3-stage vtec which was only available on this engine, so basically no chance of find aftermarket parts (i.e. camshafts) for it if he wanted more power in the future. Also the d15b is not 130hp, it is 130ps (metric hp). 1ps is not equal to 1hp.

Its his engine, but doesn't make sense to complicate things with a smaller displacement engine with limited aftermarket when stock engine has larger displacement, equivalent hp, good aftermarket, drop in replacement, costs the same and will not lower the resale value of his car...
Old 12-22-2003, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Kommon_sense,thanks for your reply.

We have found an engine from a local repair shop. They want to charge him $2200 to drop in a new D series engine. This is insane, but he doesn't have the time to do the swap. Its not my wallet!!

Thanks for all of your help, I have ruled out the D15 engine and are going with the factory D16 engine. What a load of cash to pay though!

Thanks,

Nate.