Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99-00 front end conversion help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99-00 front end conversion help

So i was wondering if this is a good deal cause this guys selling the 99 front end and its all white:

front bumper
back bumper
grill
headlights
fenders
and hood

all for 200 bucks but they are white and I HAVE A 97 CIVIC!
so ALSO will these parts fit on to my car with the same bolts my 97 has?
because the front end DOES NOT come with any bolts just the parts.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 front end conversion help

If he's selling that for $200 I'd jump on it if the parts are in good shape and all of them are from a 1999 car. There's directions on here and online on how to install it to your car. It's fairly easy and just bolts on using the bolts that are already on your car.

I actually just had a 1999-2000 conversion done to my car because I wrecked the front end in an accident and it looks awesome. Here's a picture...

There's a glare from the sun so that's why they don't look the greatest.

Based on what that guys selling you it's a complete 1999-2000 front and rear conversion and for $200 that's an amazing price. I paid $1000 for mine from PasswordJDM, but then again it was all brand new parts and I got the JDM fenders with the side markers.

You're going to run into a few snags when you install it though. If you don't want to replace your current radiator support with a 1999-2000 one then you'll have to make a cut on each side of the bracket or notch each side of the bumper to get it to fit. I recommend buying the radiator support and doing it the proper way since it's only $140 and you're getting a great deal as it is. You'll also have to buy new headlight bulbs potentially and if the headlights are like mine where they don't have the amber in them then you'll need to buy special bulbs that are actually amber themselves (they only cost .50 cents each) because your turn signals have to be amber, either from the color of the bulb or the headlight housing. Besides those minor problems it's an easy bolt on job that you could do one Saturday in your driveway with simple tools so I say jump on it.

Here's some guides on how to install it too...

http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/vi...onversion.html

There's a ton if you search here or google for them.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd jump on it for 2 Notes...All bolts off your car should be fine with the new front end.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thank you so much mbish,
but i cant see the picture for some odd reason?

and ok i will buy the parts and i hope the bolts work, and these parts look pretty new but just colored white (cause they came off a white civic)
ya 200 bucks is all he wanted and it was insane so i had to check with the forum before (:
but I probably dont want to do this the wrong way, so ill buy the radiator support and anything else ill have to buy for the conversion?
i looked at the forum and it said i would have to cut something and that didnt make me to happy knowing i could **** up some how lol..
Old 10-19-2010, 04:05 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you might have the hammer your radiator support a little to bend it enough to squeeze the bumper on. But aside from that it should bolt right on.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hammer? so i wouldnt have to cut it?
Old 10-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rawrjaay
ok thank you so much mbish,
but i cant see the picture for some odd reason?

and ok i will buy the parts and i hope the bolts work, and these parts look pretty new but just colored white (cause they came off a white civic)
ya 200 bucks is all he wanted and it was insane so i had to check with the forum before (:
but I probably dont want to do this the wrong way, so ill buy the radiator support and anything else ill have to buy for the conversion?
i looked at the forum and it said i would have to cut something and that didnt make me to happy knowing i could **** up some how lol..
The pictures disappeared because I moved them to a different folder in my photobucket account. Check out the pictures in this link for my front end conversion. They're the ones where the front end is a matte black (primered) and the body is shinier... http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/e...uture%20Ideas/

As for having to hammer, if you buy a 1999-2000 radiator support you won't have to hammer anything at all. It's already made thinner and smaller so the bumper bolts right up to it. My mechanic said he had no fitment issues using the correct year radiator support with the 99-00 front end. The same goes for the grille. There's no fitment issues there and none with the fenders either. I'm looking at the list of parts right now that were ordered for my front end work/conversion and all he had to buy to make it work without cutting or hammering anything was a 1999-2000 radiator support (which I needed replaced anyway because mine was broken in the accident) to replace the one from my 1998 Civic, in your case the one from your 1997 Civic. Besides that everything will directly bolt on and you won't have to cut or bang or hammer anything at all.

It looks like this and comes in one big piece...

Here's a new one for sale for $80...
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...r_support.html

Here's another for $63...
http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/ho...ent171181.html

I'm not sure how legit those sites are so maybe call them first or check with your local auto parts store to see what they can do for a price for you.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn mbish ur hella helping me out, because im the only one thats going to be doing my front end,

**** HOW ABOUT u fly ur *** over here to cali and u help me out bro?
ahahah (:
yea i think ima go pick those parts up today in a truck, and then buy a 99 radiator support because i dont want to hammer or cut anything, is it going to be hard to put that in anywayz?
Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn mbish ur hella helping me out, because im the only one thats going to be doing my front end,

**** HOW ABOUT u fly ur *** over here to cali and u help me out bro?
ahahah (:
yea i think ima go pick those parts up today in a truck, and then buy a 99 radiator support because i dont want to hammer or cut anything, is it going to be hard to put that in anywayz?
do you have any idea how to replace the core support? do you have a welder? you have to drill out the spot welds and most likely use a air hammer to get the support off and then weld the new one on. with the questions that you are asking i dont see you being able to do this. if i were you i would just make the small cut in your bumper that cant be seen instead of getting that new support.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did a 2000 convers on my 96 and i didn't have to do any of that because you dont, everything looks as it suppose to
Old 10-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did mine and the only thing was the front bumper didn't align up top. I just cut the bumper on top in half and drilled holes. And that was it.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did a 2000 front on my 97 all you have to do is hammer the little tabs at the top of the bumper support a tiny time bit and thats it. Everything bolts on fine. You dont need the rad support or anything like that. Its all bolt on.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well what happens if I ever needed to go back to a 97 front end?
and i hammer the radiator support, does that mean the 97 bumper wouldnt ever fit again?
Old 10-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well what happens if I ever needed to go back to a 97 front end?
and i hammer the radiator support, does that mean the 97 bumper wouldnt ever fit again?
why would you need to go back to the other front end? how would you do it if you changed the support? with that said all you would have to do is bend the metal back to where you need it. its not as serious as you are making it out to be.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok cool well i just bought my front end for 200 dollars
everything including a back bumper to lol

BUT i will post another post sometime when im either done installing it or need help, but its simple there are just some few things ill have to clear up. (:
Old 10-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and why do u ask me "why would i want to go back to a 97 front end"

umm what if something cracks or breaks and i have my spare 97 parts?
dur!
(ex. accident) (:
get me?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and why do u ask me "why would i want to go back to a 97 front end"

umm what if something cracks or breaks and i have my spare 97 parts?
dur!
(ex. accident) (:
get me?
He asks you because the 99-00 front end looks so much better and you're spending the money to install it so why go back to the crappier looking front end?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mbish23
He asks you because the 99-00 front end looks so much better and you're spending the money to install it so why go back to the crappier looking front end?
im also asking because he plans on changing the support. no one would go through all that work to change it back.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blown_ss
im also asking because he plans on changing the support. no one would go through all that work to change it back.
The support does not need to be changed to go to and from a 96-98 and 99-00. You can just reuse the old support.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blown ss
Very true I forgot you were asking him about why he was going to use the support.

Originally Posted by B16acivicsedan91
The support does not need to be changed to go to and from a 96-98 and 99-00. You can just reuse the old support.
You don't need to do it but if you're going to do a swap then why not do it the right way instead of hacking your **** up or bending it or banging on it with a hammer?

If he has the ability to remove the old support and install the new one then he really should do it because it makes installing the bumpers and stuff so much easier to do and then turns it into an actual just bolt on project and it looks better. Without putting the 99-00 rad support on you aren't just doing a simple bolt on since you have to modify your current support. That's why I recommended he put the new radiator support in, if he has a welder, because it'll look better and make it so much easier to install.

I had the 99-00 rad support added to my 1998 Civic when I had my front end done because I had crashed my front end and had a guy with a full body work garage doing my work and he said in his opinion it was easier to just buy that part and install it then to cut the bumper or bracket.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used the same support and it worked out fine on me 99-00 front end
Old 10-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mbish23
Very true I forgot you were asking him about why he was going to use the support.

You don't need to do it but if you're going to do a swap then why not do it the right way instead of hacking your **** up or bending it or banging on it with a hammer?

If he has the ability to remove the old support and install the new one then he really should do it because it makes installing the bumpers and stuff so much easier to do and then turns it into an actual just bolt on project and it looks better. Without putting the 99-00 rad support on you aren't just doing a simple bolt on since you have to modify your current support. That's why I recommended he put the new radiator support in, if he has a welder, because it'll look better and make it so much easier to install.

I had the 99-00 rad support added to my 1998 Civic when I had my front end done because I had crashed my front end and had a guy with a full body work garage doing my work and he said in his opinion it was easier to just buy that part and install it then to cut the bumper or bracket.
Its not worth the trouble. The little tab the needs to be bent is tiny and some dont even need to be moved. Only 2 of the last 8 i have done needed it. Its not a major mod or anything. Its not like it needs to be moved 2 inches if even at all. If it does its gonna be a tiny tiny amount.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great link for the conversion up there
Old 10-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK well i purchased my whole front end and now just need to install it,

so either buy the support or bend the current one, and the radiator support links i got were pretty cheap i might just do that, it depends,

im not sure what to do as of right now
Old 10-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE!

give me a link to a 99-00 Front End Tutorial,
I want to make sure and double check I do everything right, And I want to no the tools i need i dont want to keep searching, thanks (:

Quick Reply: 99-00 front end conversion help