Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 headlight guide

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 headlight guide

anyone know where there is a guide online that will tell you how to take out 98 civic headlights in order to make them have the clear corner affect, because i cant find clear corners anywhere for them!?
Old 10-18-2005, 04:37 PM

??? what are you talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1

There are TONS of clear corner headlights for your car. Try SEARCHING.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (johnecon2001)

u talkn on the stock headlights the amber peice????
i dont think u can take it out if u talkn bout that.
buy after market clear headlights
Old 10-20-2005, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wrong and wrong, i baked mine, sepearted the housings, and removed the amber pieces.

the wheels are gone now. dont worry.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: (ekcivic9)

nice car...

you mind telling me how you did that?? thanks
Old 10-20-2005, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TrunkRattlin)

here are my jdm sir headlights with city light.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok heres a how to

im assuming you know how to remove your front bumper and headlights.... if not ask

Pre heat oven to 300 degrees

take one headlight at a time, put it on a big cookie **** or else the headlight will melt into those lil bars in the oven.
Leave the headlight in for 8mins or so have a screw driver ready and where some oven mets theyll be hot there are little tabs on the head lense that hook to the housing start prying on them and start pulling apart with your hands and slowly theyll come apart, if it seems like the silicone is harding stick em back in for 4 or 5 mins and resume the second with go much smoother.

Finally got it apart....

youll see the amber part is screwed in, just remove it, and put amber bulb (or ricer blue) itherwise youll just have dull *** white

if you want the reflector is removeable also with a screw

if you dont paint your head light housing it is wise to paint the chrome housing where the reflector used to be other wise loosk a litle silly but to each their own or just paint the whole housing, prime it lightly on the first coat, let dry, give it a good second coat of primer, let it dry and several thin coats of the color of your choice.

to reassemble i stuck the housing back in the oven at 300 for 6 mins the silicone gets sticky and i pressed the housing and lense back together and held it for about 5 mins. as a precaution i then bought some Goo from advanced auto and spread it over the fatory seal to prevent any moisture build up in the headlight any Q's
Old 10-20-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: (tuck'd98)

tthanks for the gerat info, my next weekend project. one question, can u tell me how to prep and paint the where i will be removing refeloctors,

like what paint how to prep?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:35 PM
New User

or you can just purchase a set of JDM headlights in case you melt the ones over the weekend.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

umm i just taped mine off for the area i wasnt painted, and lightly mask it off it you press the tape of firmly it may flake the chrome housing, but i just didnt two light coats of primer, and then several satin black coats, nice thin layers so no runs occur!! also give your self about 5 or 6 hours for this project the paint and silicone need to time to dry, just a heads up!! good luck
Old 10-21-2005, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also i was bored and had a lense laying around and i left it in the oven for about 25 mins before it started to warp just a sidenote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 headlight guide (TrunkRattlin)

You should get the jdm headlights for your car. It looks much better even though it will cost you a little bit.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:11 PM

also on the top of one of my lights there is a yellow "muck" forming on the top, making it look hazy, i dont know how to get rid of it i scrubbed it i dont even know what it is
Old 10-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try some rubbing compound on the inside of the lense and some flitz!!! haha
Old 10-23-2005, 06:09 PM

where do i get the blue HID for the turn signals?
Old 10-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go with amber, ive got a pair for 8 dollars +shipping, when they are off they are like glazed blue and amber but when on they are a deep amber pretty nice ill send you a pick if you want em!
Old 10-23-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TrunkRattlin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also on the top of one of my lights there is a yellow "muck" forming on the top, making it look hazy, i dont know how to get rid of it i scrubbed it i dont even know what it is</TD></TR></TABLE>

its really simple. go out and buy 1000 1500 and 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper from walmart or your local hardware store. Wetsand the **** out of your headlights in stages from 1000 to 2000 grit. Get some 3M rubbing compound (also at walmart) and buff the headlights with a buffer untill they shine. Then spray a few layers of clear coat on them and let them sit for a couple of hours. then put them back in. theyll look almost brand new!!!! i did it with mine and they look perfect.

and as far as painting goes, you dont need to tape or primer the housings. just bake the lights for 10 to 15 min at 200 degrees and pull them apart. then use a scuff pad or some left over sand paper from snading the lenses to scuff up the chrome paint. then just spray the housings whatever color you want. you can take out the bulb covers to make them clear coners but you might get pulled over if theyre just white, so if you do that go buy some amber bulbs from walmart. just match the *** pattern from your stock bulbs to another set and they should go right in. i think that theyre like a 3500 series bulb. as far as the bottom reflector, you can take it out but you can see the holes in it so i left mine in. it still looks good and it makes it unique from everyone else's......

hopefully that can help you!!!!
Old 10-23-2005, 07:42 PM

i dont really want amber tho, i want a bright white or blue, i dont know the size or where to get them?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the size should be like a 3587 or 3557 or something in that range, or just get the normal bulb size. im not sure what the number is but im sure if you go to walmart and look it up youll find the size
Old 10-24-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: (jdmztrane)

cant find any hid blubs for my signals even with all your help, also what is the rubbing compound and what can i use as a buffer...and also a clear coat of paint?? is that what you mean?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok you wont be able to find HID turn signals. HIDs are only available for headlights and fog lights. if you want a blue colored bulb then you should be able to find them at walmart or you can go high dollar and buy sylvania silverstars but theyre like $20 for 2.

the best rubbing compound is made by 3M and you can get it in the automotive section of walmart right next to the touch up paints (its in a grey bottle). this will get rid of the scratches you make with the sand paper and provide a smooth "like new" finish. there are also $15 coleman 4000rpm buffers in the same isle that work great for buffing the headlights as well as buffing your car so it will be a good investment. as far as clear coat you can just pick up a can of it in the same isle. its usually the final step in painting a car but this will help keep the oxidation (yellow stuff) from forming again. 2 or 3 coats will do, but make sure you take the headlights off the car before you do or you will have visible overspray. then just take some wax on the buffer you bought, making sure that the clear coat is completely cured (i think its like 24-48 hrs) and wax them. when i get my pics up ill post them for you to see.

hopefully this will help you
Old 10-24-2005, 05:26 PM

THEY HAVE AUTOMOTIVE AT WALMART?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol yea they have some deceent maintaance items and what not
Old 10-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmztrane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its really simple. go out and buy 1000 1500 and 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper from walmart or your local hardware store. Wetsand the **** out of your headlights in stages from 1000 to 2000 grit. Get some 3M rubbing compound (also at walmart) and buff the headlights with a buffer untill they shine. Then spray a few layers of clear coat on them and let them sit for a couple of hours. then put them back in. theyll look almost brand new!!!! i did it with mine and they look perfect. </TD></TR></TABLE>

they are usually inside, not on the outside... you'll have to bake to get at em.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ekcivic9)

most of the oxidation on plastic headlights forms on the outside due to uv rays changing the sturcture of the plastic and deteriorating it. if it is on the inside, it is most likely dust that should just come of with some soap and water. try that first when you take your lights apart before you get into the sanding!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 98 headlight guide